• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Awesome thank you so much! I got the one with the thermostat, and it says it’ll be here Monday
Which one did you get. The seedling mat? I have one from Hydrofarm thats the best brand but the one on Amazon looked ok. With the thermostat you could set it. They never get too hot least not the one I had.

They were just suggestions for research but I hope it works out for you.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How is he flinging his head? No food coming out? I hope he is OK.
I hope someone with feeding experience can comment.

Maybe you can roll up a sock or a paper towel with a space in the middle & place him inside the nook? He's all alone.

Make sure the temp of the food is suitable. He also needs to be kept warm to be able to digest food properly. Also humidity might need to be raised. Place a bowl of water near the brooder. Maybe that might help?

That seedling mat should be ok. You can wash it & I hope it works out.

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How is he flinging his head? No food coming out? I hope he is OK.
I hope someone with feeding experience can comment.

Maybe you can roll up a sock or a paper towel with a space in the middle & place him inside the nook? He's all alone.

Watch to see his crop empties & make sure the temp of the food is suitable. He also needs to be kept warm to be able to digest food properly.

That seedling mat should be ok. You can wash it & I hope it works out.
He kinda just bobs his head back and forth, nothing comes out of him when he does that. I also “cook” the formula at 120°F, and feed it at about 100-102°F, and the little box he is in is kept at 98°F.
I just tried to give him a rolled up piece of my shirt, but he kicked it away and scooted away from it. I actually cuddle him a lot though, because I feel bad for him being all alone. I either lay my hand in there with him (he loves it, he always lays his little head on my fingers) or after feeding sometimes I’ll keep him in my hand for awhile and hold him against my cheek, he seems to love that as well.
I always wait for the crop to be emptied before feeding,I was just wondering if I was supposed to feed him anyway because he seems to be begging for food even though he still has food in his crop.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Britney, for safety sake for the chick do as suggested and rinse the flannel out and dry it well. I've taken a piece of fabric and cut it into a 2 1/2 -3 inch wide strip about 10 inches long.. folded the fabric sides in towards the center... then tied one knot softly, then tied a second knot softly, then tied a third knot harder and trimmed the extra length off. The ruler is just to show you the size of what I made and this would be a good size buddy for your baby. You might make two and a few extras in case the first ones get too dirty. I took photos to demonstrate what I've made:

Bird buddy1.JPG

Birdbuddy2.JPG

Birdbuddy3.JPG

Birdbuddy4.JPG

Please keep your heating pad on the 'outside' of your container. I've attached part of one of the links to setting up a brooder to show you without you having to visit that link ( that link is attached below from our breeders forum section)
You are doing a good job keeping the temperature at the required temp for your little one. When you are done feeding though I would suggest you place the baby back in the brooder with a couple of the cloth buddies to keep it comfortable and company. With a full crop you really want to avoid mashing that crop and causing the formula to come up or into the airway of the chick.

3 Basic Parts to a Brooder

1. Small heating pads for babies can be found in most department stores. There are also similar heating pads available in medical clinics and stores that cater to athletes.

2. Plastic containers are easy to see through and clean, and usually come with a convenient top. In a pinch you can use a card board box and even a small picnic cooler.

3.Thermometers do not need to be expensive and highly accurate, but they do need to be consistent. Thermometers will be used as a guideline because you will determine the actual temperature setting by the body posture of the baby.

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

The easiest and safest method is to place the container ½ over the heating pad so you can have different temperatures available across the bottom of the container.

Several days before you need the brooder you should begin to find the temperature you need. Place the thermometer in the container and move it around to determine how the temperature changes on different parts of the floor. If the temperature is not warm enough you can place the lid on the container and/or wrap the container with a towel. Do not cover the entire top because the babies will need fresh air. As the babies grow it will be less critical to keep the temperature constant.

Always test the heat source at the lowest and highest possible settings to make sure you are aware of how the heat source can change with different settings.

The brooder needs to be placed in an area where there is little or no light and the room temperature is fairly constant.

This section could apply to your baby given how tiny it is if the container you have is too big ( looks like a shoebox to me) and you don't want the tiny chick to migrate too far from it's heat source... the heating pad UNDER the container.

Insulated Container for small Babies 1

Insulated Container for small Babies 2

Insulated Container for small Babies 3

A second level of temperature control comes from a smaller container where you will place the baby.

A nice comfortable and cozy insulated container for small babies can be made from a cup or bowel and a couple of paper towels. Make a T shape with two lengths of paper towels. Place the cross of the T in the bowel and push to the bottom. For very small babies only push the center of the towels to the bottom making a V-shape so the baby will go to the center of the bottom and stay in the same place all the time. This V in the center will also wrap around the baby similar to a mom or sibling making contact. The V will also help keep the babies feet under him. Without the V a baby may continue to move his feet and develop bleeding sores from the paper towel that seems soft to us but rough to delicate baby skin.

The bottom portion of the T that is sticking out of the bowel can be folded over and turned into a lid.

Comfortable Body Language 1

Proper temperature will be determined by body language but basic guidelines are necessary to get started.
New born babies are the most critical and will need to be kept at ~ 97 Fahrenheit. Over the next few weeks the temperature will slowly drop to ~ 85 until the baby starts to produce feathers. Brooder temperature will be lower when you have several babies in the same container.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hi Britney, for safety sake for the chick do as suggested and rinse the flannel out and dry it well. I've taken a piece of fabric and cut it into a 2 1/2 -3 inch wide strip about 10 inches long.. folded the fabric sides in towards the center... then tied one knot softly, then tied a second knot softly, then tied a third knot harder and trimmed the extra length off. The ruler is just to show you the size of what I made and this would be a good size buddy for your baby. You might make two and a few extras in case the first ones get too dirty. I took photos to demonstrate what I've made:

View attachment 370703

View attachment 370704

View attachment 370708

View attachment 370709

Please keep your heating pad on the 'outside' of your container. I've attached part of one of the links to setting up a brooder to show you without you having to visit that link ( that link is attached below from our breeders forum section)
You are doing a good job keeping the temperature at the required temp for your little one. When you are done feeding though I would suggest you place the baby back in the brooder with a couple of the cloth buddies to keep it comfortable and company. With a full crop you really want to avoid mashing that crop and causing the formula to come up or into the airway of the chick.

1. Small heating pads for babies can be found in most department stores. There are also similar heating pads available in medical clinics and stores that cater to athletes.

2. Plastic containers are easy to see through and clean, and usually come with a convenient top. In a pinch you can use a card board box and even a small picnic cooler.

3.Thermometers do not need to be expensive and highly accurate, but they do need to be consistent. Thermometers will be used as a guideline because you will determine the actual temperature setting by the body posture of the baby.

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

Baby Parrot Brooder 1

The easiest and safest method is to place the container ½ over the heating pad so you can have different temperatures available across the bottom of the container.

Several days before you need the brooder you should begin to find the temperature you need. Place the thermometer in the container and move it around to determine how the temperature changes on different parts of the floor. If the temperature is not warm enough you can place the lid on the container and/or wrap the container with a towel. Do not cover the entire top because the babies will need fresh air. As the babies grow it will be less critical to keep the temperature constant.

Always test the heat source at the lowest and highest possible settings to make sure you are aware of how the heat source can change with different settings.

The brooder needs to be placed in an area where there is little or no light and the room temperature is fairly constant.

This section could apply to your baby given how tiny it is if the container you have is too big ( looks like a shoebox to me) and you don't want the tiny chick to migrate too far from it's heat source... the heating pad UNDER the container.

A second level of temperature control comes from a smaller container where you will place the baby.

A nice comfortable and cozy insulated container for small babies can be made from a cup or bowel and a couple of paper towels. Make a T shape with two lengths of paper towels. Place the cross of the T in the bowel and push to the bottom. For very small babies only push the center of the towels to the bottom making a V-shape so the baby will go to the center of the bottom and stay in the same place all the time. This V in the center will also wrap around the baby similar to a mom or sibling making contact. The V will also help keep the babies feet under him. Without the V a baby may continue to move his feet and develop bleeding sores from the paper towel that seems soft to us but rough to delicate baby skin.

The bottom portion of the T that is sticking out of the bowel can be folded over and turned into a lid.

Proper temperature will be determined by body language but basic guidelines are necessary to get started.
New born babies are the most critical and will need to be kept at ~ 97 Fahrenheit. Over the next few weeks the temperature will slowly drop to ~ 85 until the baby starts to produce feathers. Brooder temperature will be lower when you have several babies in the same container.

Thank you so much! I’ll fix the heater once I get the proper bedding, which should be some time later today. I’m worried about the box being angled though from the header being underneath half of it, would a piece of cardboard or something under the other half be a good idea? To keep the box flat?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I also “cook” the formula at 120°F, and feed it at about 100-102°F, and the little box he is in is kept at 98°F.
I don’t know much about baby birds, but I thought the ideal temperature was 105 degrees? @Zara ?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He kinda just bobs his head back and forth, nothing comes out of him when he does that. I also “cook” the formula at 120°F, and feed it at about 100-102°F, and the little box he is in is kept at 98°F.
I just tried to give him a rolled up piece of my shirt, but he kicked it away and scooted away from it. I actually cuddle him a lot though, because I feel bad for him being all alone. I either lay my hand in there with him (he loves it, he always lays his little head on my fingers) or after feeding sometimes I’ll keep him in my hand for awhile and hold him against my cheek, he seems to love that as well.
I always wait for the crop to be emptied before feeding,I was just wondering if I was supposed to feed him anyway because he seems to be begging for food even though he still has food in his crop.
120F may be a bit extreme for heating the formula. You should feed him at 105F-107F instead of 100-102F. At the current temp you are feeding you risk the formula taking too long to digest in the crop and causing the crop to slow down.. you do not want that to happen. You can have a separate bowl of water measuring the same temperature of 105-107 and you can place the bowl or cup you mix your formula in within that bowl to keep your formula a constant temperature until you are done feeding your baby.

Some people will use Pipettes for feeding such tiny babies - you must be careful not to squeeze the bulb at the top of the pipette to avoid a sudden push of too much formula. If the small syringe you are using is working for you then stay with it, just make sure to expel any air from the tip of the syringe so you aren't pushing it into the baby. I only wanted the image of the tiny baby to show up but it wouldn't let me detach the other image so ignore the other photo.

Small pipette for formula feeding

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you so much! I’ll fix the heater once I get the proper bedding, which should be some time later today. I’m worried about the box being angled though from the header being underneath half of it, would a piece of cardboard or something under the other half be a good idea? To keep the box flat?
yes.... a piece of cardboard would be fine... even a magazine or two will do. I don't think it would be angled too much though. When you get it set up take a photo for us to see.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She does this after I feed her, and if I put my hand in there she starts nibbling me like she’s hungry, but her crop is clearly full. Is that normal? Or is she crying for a different reason?
(If I leave her alone she usually stops within a minute or two, I just feel so bad)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
120F may be a bit extreme for heating the formula. You should feed him at 105F-107F instead of 100-102F. At the current temp you are feeding you risk the formula taking too long to digest in the crop and causing the crop to slow down.. you do not want that to happen. You can have a separate bowl of water measuring the same temperature of 105-107 and you can place the bowl or cup you mix your formula in within that bowl to keep your formula a constant temperature until you are done feeding your baby.

Some people will use Pipettes for feeding such tiny babies - you must be careful not to squeeze the bulb at the top of the pipette to avoid a sudden push of too much formula. If the small syringe you are using is working for you then stay with it, just make sure to expel any air from the tip of the syringe so you aren't pushing it into the baby. I only wanted the image of the tiny baby to show up but it wouldn't let me detach the other image so ignore the other photo.

Small pipette for formula feeding
Oh wow thank you! I was so confused because I swore my formula said 102, but I’m dyslexic and after looking at it harder it does in fact say 105. I hope my baby will be okay!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
There's a lot of content here on this thread
She does this after I feed her, and if I put my hand in there she starts nibbling me like she’s hungry, but her crop is clearly full. Is that normal? Or is she crying for a different reason?
(If I leave her alone she usually stops within a minute or two, I just feel so bad)
It's ok... she's ok. When you put your hand in there she is recognizing you as the food source so that's why she is nibbling. If her crop is full then place her in the cubby of the bedding with a couple of the fabric buddies and she'll settle down until her next feeding.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh wow thank you! I was so confused because I swore my formula said 102, but I’m dyslexic and after looking at it harder it does in fact say 105. I hope my baby will be okay!
If her crop is emptying between feedings then you don't have a problem. If she has a very small amount of formula in her crop when she is scheduled for a feeding it's ok to go ahead and feed. You can let her go without a feeding between 12PM and 6AM. Though I will tag @Zara on this ( over night) since I have not hand fed chicks at this age. Are you using a digital thermometer?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If her crop is emptying between feedings then you don't have a problem. If she has a very small amount of formula in her crop when she is scheduled for a feeding it's ok to go ahead and feed. You can let her go without a feeding between 12PM and 6AM. Though I will tag @Zara on this ( over night) since I have not hand fed chicks at this age. Are you using a digital thermometer?
Yes I am using a digital thermometer

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I like the small container idea with the paper towels. I really think the wood shavings are too much for such a small chick at this time. They could sink into them & they are rough.
I'd save that for when he was bigger & feathered.
Paper towels can be changed & baby will feel cozy.

They mention darkness or little light. Maybe that will calm them enough to sleep.

Not sure with such young chicks but read you don't need to wait for it to empty in day but over night for older chicks.

Your formula may be cooling off while fed & end up being too cool for proper digestion.
Don't want the crop to slow due to cool formula..

Also read day old very young chicks should have alot of water in the formula which is lessened day by day. All things to look into & check.

Not an expert by any means but just taking info that I have read over the years.

The only woman I watched handfeeding would keep the in plastic bins with paper towels & her turned out ok. I watched her feed them from about 4 weeks til almost 3 months.

Think to be careful as most instructions are not for a few day old chick but few week old chick. Its very challanging to feed a chick from hatching without any parents. The thickness & temp of the formula, external temp of brooder etc are more critical.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I like the small container idea with the paper towels. I really think the wood shavings are too much for such a small chick at this time. They could sink into them & they are rough.
I'd save that for when he was bigger & feathered.
Paper towels can be changed & baby will feel cozy.

They mention darkness or little light. Maybe that will calm them enough to sleep.

Not sure with such young chicks but read you don't need to wait for it to empty in day but over night for older chicks.

Your formula may be cooling off while fed & end up being too cool for proper digestion.
Don't want the crop to slow due to cool formula..

Also read day old very young chicks should have alot of water in the formula which is lessened day by day. All things to look into & check.

Not an expert by any means but just taking info that I have read over the years.

The only woman I watched handfeeding would keep the in plastic bins with paper towels & her turned out ok. I watched her feed them from about 4 weeks til almost 3 months.

Think to be careful as most instructions are not for a few day old chick but few week old chick. Its very challanging to feed a chick from hatching without any parents. The thickness & temp of the formula, external temp of brooder etc are more critical.
I’m not sure. I think what I’ll do is I’ll use the bedding, but make a little nook for the baby to lay in and line the bottom of that nook with a piece of my flannel like someone suggested.

I usually keep the light off in the room she is in, I only turn it on for feeding time.

I’ll be sure to heat my formula correctly from now on, I’m not sure if it gets much cooler in the syringe though because it doesn’t take too long for me to feed her fully. Usually only takes about a minute or two for her crop to fill.

And yes there is a lot of water in her formula, the formula I’m using says to have 6 parts water and 1 part formula for the first couple days, tomorrow I will start making it 5parts water and 2 parts formula

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m not sure. I think what I’ll do is I’ll use the bedding, but make a little nook for the baby to lay in and line the bottom of that nook with a piece of my flannel like someone suggested.

I usually keep the light off in the room she is in, I only turn it on for feeding time.

I’ll be sure to heat my formula correctly from now on, I’m not sure if it gets much cooler in the syringe though because it doesn’t take too long for me to feed her fully. Usually only takes about a minute or two for her crop to fill.

And yes there is a lot of water in her formula, the formula I’m using says to have 6 parts water and 1 part formula for the first couple days, tomorrow I will start making it 5parts water and 2 parts formula
Babies are hatched in nest boxes filled with shavings ( normally) so you don't need to line that nook with the fabric but if you do, just make sure there is enough of an indentation where the chick can keep her legs under her and have traction to move about. This is the problem with paper towels being too smooth for a young bird to move about on. We do see our fair amount of people who come on the forum with a baby whose legs are splayed out to the side with no ability to walk and will stay that way unless there is human intervention. Those babies were either kept on a paper towel surface or there was not ample nesting material in the nest box to begin with.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Babies are hatched in nest boxes filled with shavings ( normally) so you don't need to line that nook with the fabric but if you do, just make sure there is enough of an indentation where the chick can keep her legs under her and have traction to move about. This is the problem with paper towels being too smooth for a young bird to move about on. We do see our fair amount of people who come on the forum with a baby whose legs are splayed out to the side with no ability to walk and will stay that way unless there is human intervention. Those babies were either kept on a paper towel surface or there was not ample nesting material in the nest box to begin with.
Okay, should I still make a little nook out of the bedding though? Without lining the bottom with anything?