• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Do I need to get her the gut bacteria formula? Or does Kaytees exact formula have it? I’m not sure what I’m looking for

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Looks like you have lots of good advice already, keep up the good work.

Once the chick gets bigger, you can ditch the syringe and use a spoon. It's so much easier and there's little chance of accidentally aspirating the chick. And don't be surprised at how fast they gulp it down.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They also gave me the egg too because they figured if this chick wasn’t safe in the nest then neither would the egg if it hatched
I wonder if they realise the egg needs a birds sat on top of it to hatch in the first place.
(I´m trying my best not to comment on that other person and their birds, because I can only imagine the horror, and I understand that is not helpful to you.)

The egg is gross, I wonder if you could gently try to remove some of the muck with one of those Qtips? It doesn´t have to be perfect, just the bigger pieces off would be good.

Your container is good, as there´s no holes, leaving it open like you have is ok, or drill some holes all over the lid. Once you have switched the bedding, it will be great.

Be carefull not to over feed. The amounbt this bird will eat right now will be miniscule, and I know that when I had a few day old baby bird, I was wasting so much food because it´s impossible to make up such a tiny batch.

Don´t worry about the syringe if you can´t find the smaller size. That 1CC you have will be ok for now until you switch to the spoon.

It´s really hard work caring for chicks so young - an around the clock operation. You are doing fantastic. As the bird grows it will get easier to feed and care for them, and eventually you will be able to sleep through the night again :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do I need to get her the gut bacteria formula? Or does Kaytees exact formula have it? I’m not sure what I’m looking for
You do not need to add anything.
Quote from the manufacturer;
¨exact hand Feeding Formula contains probiotics and prebiotics to encourage a healthy population of intestinal microorganisms. The selected species have been chosen specifically for their vitality, stability and overall benefits to a bird’s system.
Digestive enzymes (amylase and protease) are included to insure adequate digestion of carbohydrates and proteins. These enzymes are of particular value in a newly hatched baby or in a bird experiencing digestive difficulties.¨

Source: https://www.kaytee.com/-/media/Files/Kaytee-NA/US/pet-bird/exact-premium-daily-diets pdf.pdf'?la=en (Page 07)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Looks like you have lots of good advice already, keep up the good work.

Once the chick gets bigger, you can ditch the syringe and use a spoon. It's so much easier and there's little chance of accidentally aspirating the chick. And don't be surprised at how fast they gulp it down.
Thank you! How big/how old do you think she needs to be?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I wonder if they realise the egg needs a birds sat on top of it to hatch in the first place.
(I´m trying my best not to comment on that other person and their birds, because I can only imagine the horror, and I understand that is not helpful to you.)

The egg is gross, I wonder if you could gently try to remove some of the muck with one of those Qtips? It doesn´t have to be perfect, just the bigger pieces off would be good.

Your container is good, as there´s no holes, leaving it open like you have is ok, or drill some holes all over the lid. Once you have switched the bedding, it will be great.

Be carefull not to over feed. The amounbt this bird will eat right now will be miniscule, and I know that when I had a few day old baby bird, I was wasting so much food because it´s impossible to make up such a tiny batch.

Don´t worry about the syringe if you can´t find the smaller size. That 1CC you have will be ok for now until you switch to the spoon.

It´s really hard work caring for chicks so young - an around the clock operation. You are doing fantastic. As the bird grows it will get easier to feed and care for them, and eventually you will be able to sleep through the night again :)
Yeah, the whole situation she has with her birds makes me so angry. She’s got 4 adult birds all in the cage where the nesting box is, and the cage is nowhere near big enough for them all. I’ve tried telling them but they always shrug it off. And that’s just one of the things she does wrong with the birds .
The egg is really gross, all the eggs and her nesting box was like that. Ive been trying to use a wet and a dry q-tip to get it off, but I can’t get off those big chunks and I’m scared to break the egg.
I’ve been worried that I’m underfeeding it because the poor little thing is just constantly hungry. Even when it’s crop is full it’s trying to nibble all over my hand and crying for another bite, it’s kind of adorable but it breaks my heart a little.
Thank you so much! I can’t wait to sleep again

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Even when it’s crop is full it’s trying to nibble all over my hand and crying for another bite, it’s kind of adorable but it breaks my heart a little.
If you mean like on the video, I said before, they will be seeking their clutchmates and parents. A baby bird knows it shouldn´t be alone. When you see clutches of baby birds, they are always huddled together, when one falls away, they wiggle right back to their siblings and huddle.
Once you have the bedding sorted, and find something very very small to snuggle with it will help. Babies like to go towards a corner, so make the small dip near a corner, and put it in there with the egg and the snuggle item.
Maybe if you have an old cotton tee-shirt, you could cut a wide strip off, tie it in a double or triple knot depending on size, and thencut the excess fabric around it and use that? Make it so that it´s the same size as the bird, or slightly bigger.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for helping out a newborn chick. One so small is not easy. You have been going a commendable job & thanks to all that are offering you such great advice.

I'd be careful with the poop covered egg so close to the baby as I feel it could introduce bacteria & illness. Then again maybe it might have gut bacteria from the parents. Don't know what to think about it but the dirty egg concerns me so close to the baby.

Be good when you get the shavings. Try to take them out carefully so no wood dust is included. Maybe hold the bag upright & tap it so any small shaving & dust fall to the bottom. Then you can scoop out from the top. Dust & very small shavings if ingested or breathe in could be dangerous.

You might want to keep the heating pad under the brooder. Most people keep it under half or 2/3 when the bird can move around but that won't be for a while. Then again the pad inside will probably concentrate heat better & a chick that small needs alot of heat like the 96 degrees mentioned less so when they are feathered.

For this small of a chick I have read that a towel over the shavings with paper towels over it so it can be changed is best for the first week or two.

Bedding has been discussed before.

Good Luck with your precious baby.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If you mean like on the video, I said before, they will be seeking their clutchmates and parents. A baby bird knows it shouldn´t be alone. When you see clutches of baby birds, they are always huddled together, when one falls away, they wiggle right back to their siblings and huddle.
Once you have the bedding sorted, and find something very very small to snuggle with it will help. Babies like to go towards a corner, so make the small dip near a corner, and put it in there with the egg and the snuggle item.
Maybe if you have an old cotton tee-shirt, you could cut a wide strip off, tie it in a double or triple knot depending on size, and thencut the excess fabric around it and use that? Make it so that it´s the same size as the bird, or slightly bigger.
I’ll see if I have a cotton shirt, if not I’ll buy one while I’m at Walmart today. Thanks!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thanks for helping out a newborn chick. One so small is not easy. You have been going a commendable job & thanks to all that are offering you such great advice.

I'd be careful with the poop covered egg so close to the baby as I feel it could introduce bacteria & illness. Then again maybe it might have gut bacteria from the parents. Don't know what to think about it but the dirty egg concerns me so close to the baby.

Be good when you get the shavings. Try to take them out carefully so no wood dust is included. Maybe hold the bag upright & tap it so any small shaving & dust fall to the bottom. Then you can scoop out from the top. Dust & very small shavings if ingested or breathe in could be dangerous.

You might want to keep the heating pad under the brooder. Most people keep it under half or 2/3 when the bird can move around but that won't be for a while. Then again the pad inside will probably concentrate heat better & a chick that small needs alot of heat like the 96 degrees mentioned less so when they are feathered.

For this small of a chick I have read that a towel over the shavings with paper towels over it so it can be changed is best for the first week or two.

Bedding has been discussed before.

Good Luck with your precious baby.
Thank you so much! So do you think it’s fine to keep the heating pad inside the brooder, and just take it out when it’s older and put it to the side as you said?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thank you so much! So do you think it’s fine to keep the heating pad inside the brooder, and just take it out when it’s older and put it to the side as you said?
Hard to say especially if you put wood shavings on top of it its then enclosed in wood.
Would not want to set up a fire safety hazard. Is it a rubber covered heating pad?
I suppose heating pads are used in beds & under cover etc but it might not be worth a risk.

Do you have instructions for it. I would imagine it would warm the plastic container better from inside than under it & its safe from the bird chewing the wire or pad & not likely to get wet.

I'll leave that decision up to you & advice from others. I just had some concerns but they might not apply to a chick so small but also would depend on the heating pad I suppose.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hard to say especially if you put wood shavings on top of it its then enclosed in wood.
Would not want to set up a fire safety hazard. Is it a rubber covered heating pad?
I suppose heating pads are used in beds & under cover etc but it might not be worth a risk.

Do you have instructions for it. I would imagine it would warm the plastic container better from inside than under it & its safe from the bird chewing the wire or pad & not likely to get wet.

I'll leave that decision up to you & advice from others. I just had some concerns but they might not apply to a chick so small but also would depend on the heating pad I suppose.
It’s a cloth heating pad, it’s like a mini blanket

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Paper towels aren´t easy for a bird to grip onto, especially so young. The bedding helps keep their legs under them and helps avoid spradle leg developing.
While the bird is so small, you can literally spot clean the poops out and replace the small portion of bedding with fresh.
As the bird gets bigger and more poops, the cleaning regime will need to be altered.

Yea, it is gross. But it is a double edged sword, because if it is still viable it needs heat to hatch. Will it hatch without mum and dad brooding? I really don´t know. If it was due to hatch now, then maybe...
I will always remember Beasleys budgie. Similar situation to this and I was gobsmacked when that dirty gross egg hatched.
If you want to read here´s the link;

I’ll see if I have a cotton shirt, if not I’ll buy one while I’m at Walmart today.
See if you have something at home... a piece of non pilling fleece maybe. You only need a little piece of fabric with no loose threads. I normally suggest a rolled up sock, but it is too big for a newly hatched chick.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Paper towels aren´t easy for a bird to grip onto, especially so young. The bedding helps keep their legs under them and helps avoid spradle leg developing.
While the bird is so small, you can literally spot clean the poops out and replace the small portion of bedding with fresh.
As the bird gets bigger and more poops, the cleaning regime will need to be altered.

Yea, it is gross. But it is a double edged sword, because if it is still viable it needs heat to hatch. Will it hatch without mum and dad brooding? I really don´t know. If it was due to hatch now, then maybe...
I will always remember Beasleys budgie. Similar situation to this and I was gobsmacked when that dirty gross egg hatched.

See if you have something at home... a piece of non pilling fleece maybe. You only need a little piece of fabric with no loose threads. I normally suggest a rolled up sock, but it is too big for a newly hatched chick.
Does it have to be 100% cotton? I found a pair of leggings that is 87% cotton, and 13% elastane... I’ll keep looking just in case
Edit: I just found one that’s 95% cotton and 5% spandex, is that good?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Okay I actually just found a flannel that is 100% cotton. It kind of smells like my laundry detergent though, do you think the scent will harm the bird?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think, rinse the flannel and dry it, no fabric softener, also you can make a tiny donut nest with a washcloth, and the flannel beneath, that nest will help her feel secure and something to lay her head on if she wants..your doing great!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Maybe you can do some research & others can give some ideas on a heat source & safety.

Your cloth might be a cover on a plastic heat mat? No idea how safe they are under wood shavings. I supposed unless they warn against it but its not an intended use so may not be studied. Still they should make them safe for use under normal conditions.

You might want to get one that has rubber outside. The cloth ones have wires inside & bending them into a brooder might not be a good idea. Also cloth might not be the best thing inside the brooder.

I used to think a seedling heat mat could work. Some have used it.

Just one idea for use with the mat. I would disregard the wire grate shelf but just to get an idea of the use of the mat

With thermostat you can set temp & its meant to go underneath.

This one seems to say meant for chicks but its hard plastic not bendable like the plant mats so the brooder may need to go above it.

Maybe even a reptile mat underneath but this I have n experience with but they are meat to be water resistant.

May or may not work small...

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I gave him the little flannel ball and he didn’t seem interested, he scooted away from it, then started laying on his back and crying for food. He’s been crying for food before his crop empties too, is that normal? He’s definitely looking for food the way he flings his head around and nibbling anything that gets near his head

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Maybe you can do some research & others can give some ideas on a heat source & safety.

Your cloth might be a cover on a plastic heat mat? No idea how safe they are under wood shavings. I supposed unless they warn against it but its not an intended use so may not be studied. Still they should make them safe for use under normal conditions.

You might want to get one that has rubber outside. The cloth ones have wires inside & bending them into a brooder might not be a good idea. Also cloth might not be the best thing inside the brooder.

I used to think a seedling heat mat could work. Some have used it.

Just one idea for use with the mat. I would disregard the wire grate shelf but just to get an idea of the use of the mat

With thermostat you can set temp & its meant to go underneath.

This one seems to say meant for chicks but its hard plastic not bendable like the plant mats so the brooder may need to go above it.

Maybe even a reptile mat underneath but this I have n experience with but they are meat to be water resistant.

May or may not work small...

Awesome thank you so much! I got the one with the thermostat, and it says it’ll be here Monday