• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding new rescues

Bekky

Moving in
Real Name
Bekky
hi all! Some of you may have seen my first post where I introduced the three rescue birds I got from a hoarding situation. At the time they wouldn’t let me take anything else but I got them to give up the baby Sun Conure and Baby Green Cheek they were trying to hand feed... I am an experienced bird owner but I have never personally hand fed except for rehabbing a wild bird some years ago, so here I am! Any advice would be MUCH appreciated. I’m doing tons of a research already of course but this group tends to give very helpful tips!

Max83

Walking the driveway
go very slow with the syringe! try to give them 10% of body weight in grams in mL of food. Not too much solid if they are very young, with no feathers, less solid than a normal yogurt or it can block the crop. Feed again when the crop is empty and check the temperature for not burn them before feed. Fresh food every meal of course, don't leftover. This in general.

It depends of which info you need and the age of the little birds, you can find basic info on the net, if you don't find try to ask more specific question. Not an expert but I hand fed my cockatiel and some wild birds years ago.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Place the syringe so it points toward their right if youre putting it in their beak. Only feed when begging, don’t force.

I never measure the food. I let them tell me when it is enough.

Also, personal observation - people tend to overfeed if anything. And they tend not to warm the food enough. Use a thermometer to be sure.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica