• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Green Cheek Conure - Beak Suddenly Peeling a Lot??? Wasn’t like this yesterday

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Hi again, I just noticed the bottom of Momo’s beak suddenly looks like it’s really flaky/peeling a lot. I think she might be molting right now so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it but the change seems so sudden and I’m really worried now? Does this look normal to you guys?

1st pic is the picture from yesterday and the other 2 are from just now

Attachments

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
I’m gonna call my avian vet tomorrow, but I’m really freaking out, I’ve been with her all day and she wasn’t even really chewing on her toys today or doing anything out of the ordinary. All she ate today were her usual pellets and some broccoli, and I gave her a bit of red pepper after making this post.

I just lost my cat a month ago and it was really traumatic for me, so I’ve been extra worried about losing Momo now too.

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conures bottom mandible looks this way, a bit less severe but a small amount of flaking is normal as birds beaks are always growing.
Though, if you’re concerned, taking her to the vet is absolutely fine :)
I’d never tell anyone not to take their bird for a wellness check.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks fine to me.

Birds shed the older outer layers of their beaks as the newer layers grow, it is a continuous cycle just like us growing new and loosing old skin.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Okay thank you! She’s actually been to the vet twice these past couple months and both times my vet said she was looking good. I just noticed this tonight and panicked because it seemed to happen randomly. I know peeling is normal but I wasn’t sure if this was too much!

I’m still gonna call tomorrow and see if I can email him the pictures, I did want to get blood work done last time I was there just to make sure she doesn’t have any deficiencies, but he said that they have to be put to sleep to draw blood and that comes with a risk of them not waking back up so he doesn’t recommend it unless something really appears to be wrong….but I also heard that you don’t HAVE to put them under to take blood and blood tests are actually recommended every one in a while. So kinda confused about that.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some flakiness can be totally normal. I don't think this is necessarily out of the realm of normal, but chewing, climbing, or hitting the beak on something can sometimes cause it to look like this really quickly.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Looks fine to me.

Birds shed the older outer layers of their beaks as the newer layers grow, it is a continuous cycle just like us growing new and loosing old skin.
That’s good to hear, thank you! This is my first bird so I’m pretty bad with immediately panicking every time something changes/looks off…probably gonna start to be known as anxiety-girl on this forum :sigh: but I really do appreciate the responses!

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Some flakiness can be totally normal. I don't think this is necessarily out of the realm of normal, but chewing, climbing, or hitting the beak on something can sometimes cause it to look like this really quickly.
Thank you Mizzely…kinda embarrassed because I JUST messaged you worrying about something else haha, but I really appreciate all the help! I’m trying to get better at managing my anxiety, this little one really tests me sometimes though! I’m gonna see if I can email our vet some pictures just for extra peace of mind anyhow. Have a great night/day!

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks OK to me. I just found a 1.25 inch long piece of JaKhu's upper beak on the floor yesterday. She's been molting & her beak has been peeling. Last month her lower beak looked like your birds beak, a lot of layers coming off. I often try to help peel it off if it looks loose.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Looks OK to me. I just found a 1.25 inch long piece of JaKhu's upper beak on the floor yesterday. She's been molting & her beak has been peeling. Last month her lower beak looked like your birds beak, a lot of layers coming off. I often try to help peel it off if it looks loose.
Ah okay, I was just concerned because it wasn’t like this at all yesterday and suddenly I looked at her and that happened, but she’s acting completely normal and not in pain so I guess it’ll be okay! I’ll just keep an eye on it. Thank you!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks completely normal to me as well. My Cinnie Turqs beak would look the same,I think it's more noticeable with the lighter colored beaks when a lot of layers are showing at once.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Looks completely normal to me as well. My Cinnie Turqs beak would look the same,I think it's more noticeable with the lighter colored beaks when a lot of layers are showing at once.
Thank you! Definitely starting to feel better with all of these responses. I did email the pictures to her vet and he’s gonna look at them and let me know if he thinks there’s anything wrong or she should come in.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
My African Ringneck has a dark beak, and last summer I panicked and tried to get him in to an emergency vet when it looked like his beak was cracking in places. It's so freaky when you don't know yet what's normal for them!

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Don't worry about asking questions on the forum, we're here for moral support. Sometimes just a little moral support can go a long way in relieving anxiety. I think the first year of having a bird there is a huge learning curve to realize what is normal for the particular bird in question.

Baileybea

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bailey
Don't worry about asking questions on the forum, we're here for moral support. Sometimes just a little moral support can go a long way in relieving anxiety. I think the first year of having a bird there is a huge learning curve to realize what is normal for the particular bird in question.
I’ve actually had her for almost 3 years now haha…she is my first bird ever though so I’m definitely still learning a lot! That’s why I was so freaked out, I’ve never seen it this flaky. But if everyone thinks it looks normal then I’ll just wait to hear back from my vet and keep an eye on it!