• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food/Diet Plan Help! What to feed my birds?!

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54
I need to know the percentage (by weight) of pellets, seeds, veggies, and fruits to feed to my cockatiels and budgie. They all share the same food (yes, they do each have their own food bowls & water), and right now i have a food plan of 60% pellets, apx. 18% veggies, apx. 17% seeds (sprouted), and 5% fruit. Do i even need fruit or should i just cut that out of their diet? I was wondering if i should decrease the percentage of pellets and do a food plan consisting of 50% pellets, 30% veggies, and the other 20% either completely seeds or 15% seeds and 5% fruit.
 

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
40,417
Location
Northern Mitten Michigan
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're going to get a lot of different answers as there is no consensus yet on what is best to feed parrots. You'll have some people that say no pellets, only seeds and veggies, some that say only 20% pellets with the rest veggies and seeds, and others who say 80% pellets and the rest veggies and seeds...and everything in between.

The only consistency is that a diet made of only pellets or only seeds can be detrimental to their health.

If I had cockatiels and budgies, I would probably aim for about 1/3rd each of pellets, seeds, and veggies. I do a bit of fruit but honestly my birds prefer veggies more so it's not a big part of what I offer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the percentages. Aim more for a variety over time. Some weeks my birds primarily eat pellets and others they get a wide variety of veggies. And of course we can't make them eat anything; I could offer carefully measured diets and they would still eat only what they feel like eating.
 

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54
You're going to get a lot of different answers as there is no consensus yet on what is best to feed parrots. You'll have some people that say no pellets, only seeds and veggies, some that say only 20% pellets with the rest veggies and seeds, and others who say 80% pellets and the rest veggies and seeds...and everything in between.

The only consistency is that a diet made of only pellets or only seeds can be detrimental to their health.

If I had cockatiels and budgies, I would probably aim for about 1/3rd each of pellets, seeds, and veggies. I do a bit of fruit but honestly my birds prefer veggies more so it's not a big part of what I offer.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the percentages. Aim more for a variety over time. Some weeks my birds primarily eat pellets and others they get a wide variety of veggies. And of course we can't make them eat anything; I could offer carefully measured diets and they would still eat only what they feel like eating.
Mine eat whatever I give them. I give them their food in a way they can't be picky and only select the things they want to eat, so they eat exact percentages of pellets, veggies, and seeds.
 

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
40,417
Location
Northern Mitten Michigan
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine eat whatever I give them. I give them their food in a way they can't be picky and only select the things they want to eat, so they eat exact percentages of pellets, veggies, and seeds.
Very lucky! My Jardine's literally will starve himself rather than eat something he doesn't like :lol:
 

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54
Very lucky! My Jardine's literally will starve himself rather than eat something he doesn't like :lol:
So with that fact in mind, that my little birds will eat everything in exact percentages, what do you think is a good percentage of pellets, vegetables, and seeds?
Do you think 50% pellets, 30% veggies, and 20% sprouted seeds is good? Or is there a different mix you would do?
 

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
40,417
Location
Northern Mitten Michigan
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So with that fact in mind, that my little birds will eat everything in exact percentages, what do you think is a good percentage of pellets, vegetables, and seeds?
Do you think 50% pellets, 30% veggies, and 20% sprouted seeds is good? Or is there a different mix you would do?
I know you want exact numbers; I'm sorry I can't give them to you. I don't know the ideal percentages because they don't exist.

I'm not an expert by any means. I also don't have specific experience with cockatiel and budgie diets. 50/30/20 to me sounds just as good as the 33.3/33.3/33.3 that I said I would probably aim for.

@sunnysmom is one of my favorite cockatiel people. She may be able to help give some guidance :)
 

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
9/16/13
Messages
28,992
Location
Pennsylvania
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think there's an exact answer. A varied diet is best with a combination of pellets and vegetables. Sprouted seeds are very good too. Since cockatiels are granivores I think they should have seed in their diet. In general, cockatiels don't eat fruit but if they do should be more of a treat than main part of diet.
 

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54
I don't think there's an exact answer. A varied diet is best with a combination of pellets and vegetables. Sprouted seeds are very good too. Since cockatiels are granivores I think they should have seed in their diet. In general, cockatiels don't eat fruit but if they do should be more of a treat than main part of diet.
So do you think a 50% pellet, 30% vegetables, and 20% sprouted seed diet is good?
 

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54
If i do a pellet free diet, what should i make the percentages of vegetables, leafy greens, and sprouted seeds, grains, legumes, etc. and anything else anybody can think of to put in a diet?
 

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
4/28/18
Messages
26,238
Location
Vic, Australia
Real Name
Shez
If i do a pellet free diet, what should i make the percentages of vegetables, leafy greens, and sprouted seeds, grains, legumes, etc. and anything else anybody can think of to put in a diet?
I believe you should consult with an avian nutritionist if you’re choosing to feed a pellet free diet.
 
  • Like
Reactions: tka

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Joined
8/9/11
Messages
40,417
Location
Northern Mitten Michigan
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We do not have any Avian nutritionist on this forum that I'm aware of. I'm also not sure who I would trust to formulate a diet for my birds.

I found this to be an interesting read. It also has the articles referenced at the bottom for further reading if you're interested.

 

GraceBirds

Meeting neighbors
Joined
12/31/23
Messages
54

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
5/18/10
Messages
11,271
Location
Hell, NV
Real Name
Monica
Very lucky! My Jardine's literally will starve himself rather than eat something he doesn't like :lol:
That's my adult dog... :banghead: Nearly 4 years old and underweight when I got him, and refused to eat much of anything for the first two years of having him! He only ate enough to survive but not really thrive. Took far too long to figure out a diet that not only he would eat, but do well on.

Having a dog do it is one thing.... a bird? Ugh....


Where do I find an avian nutritionist? Are there any on this forum?
Jason Crean seems to be the leader in avian nutrition. He has a Facebook group called Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition

He has even created a course to learn how to feed a healthier diet... but it's not necessarily cheap. It's a few hundred. I'm not sure how often the course is open to new people, either.


After that, I have no idea! I *KNOW* there are some very knowledgeable people out there... but one I can think of wont even help you out with diet UNLESS you're feeding their foods...
 
Top