• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Time Bird Owner

TheToddicus

Moving in
Hi all!

I'm a first time bird owner with a hand-tame lutino cockatiel called Bambino, coming up to 6 months old. He bonded with me really quickly and now loves my partner too. We decided not to have him clipped and he's really good at flying now, he can be a bit mischievous but he's got a really lovely nature.

He's started moulting recently, and this has made him extra clingy and cranky, screaming constantly if someone isn't in eyesight or if he's in his cage. We have him out as much as possible, usually 6 hours a day, but he obviously needs to go in his cage if we need to go out, cook, etc. He will scream nonstop the second he goes in or someone leaves his eyesight and it's driving us crazy, as well as being upsetting to hear him unhappy. I don't know if there's something wrong or if he just wants attention. He has plenty of toys, plenty of access to food and water, but he just screams all the time. We've taken him for a check up at the vets and she said he's fine, we've made sure the cage has enough access to everything, tried even letting him be in the room on his own instead but nothing stops the screaming. All the advice we've seen says to ignore it and he'll learn it doesn't get him attention but if anything he just screams louder the more we ignore him.

We live in apartments at the moment and although no one has complained yet, I also don't want it getting to that stage. I just don't know what to do!

Can anyone advise us on this? I think it is tied in with moulting and with it being his first moult and us being first time bird owners, all 3 of us are pretty new to this :')

Thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome to AA and I am sorry you are frustrated by the change in your new bird. Birds do get hormonal at times and 6 months is not too young for that. Please read the following article written by a well known bird person.

Your Screaming Parrot and You – Pamela Clark, CPBC

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If that's Bambino in your avatar he's pied not lutino.
Is he screaming or is it just his flock call? Have you tried whistling back to let him know you're there and you're okay? At 6 months he could be getting to that juvenile stage which can be quite scary for them, the link @Lady Jane gave you will be a good read for you.
Anyways, chin up, the big moult comes next ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Bambino! :)
Is he screaming or is it just his flock call? Have you tried whistling back to let him know you're there and you're okay? At 6 months he could be getting to that juvenile stage which can be quite scary for them,
...that's a good call. Make sure you respond back to him...a good flock member will always let everyone know they're around...;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue! :starshower1:

Some great tips and articles have been posted here. You may also want to be sure to put your neighbours on your xmas and other holiday cards list ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Save a favorite toy or treat only for when he gets put back into his cage as a reward and distraction.

Establish a house call/communication as others said. I whistle back and forth with my CAG.

Good luck!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to Avian Avenue:)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet5: & :welave:

We'd love to see some bigger pics. I hope you can fix the scream/calling issue. The biggest thing is to be consistent & persistent. It takes awhile to get our fids to be good birbs.

:grouphug2: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

TheToddicus

Moving in
Thanks to everyone for the responses and welcomes! Also, thank you for the article @Lady Jane I've given it a good read over! :pinkgrin:

I'd forgotten to add pictures so I've added a couple. He's a pied lutino, already lost the grey on one wing in his first moult and the vet expects he'll lose most of it. He's a big fan of scritches, 80s music (mostly Queen and Bowie) and shiny thing (especially if they make noise, occasionally piercings too). IMG_20190801_102533.jpg IMG_20190930_121036.jpg

We have always done flock calling with him, we can't have his cage in the living room since it's attached to the kitchen so it was established really early on. If anything, calling out as we leave the room makes him realise we've left and scream more these days. We try and keep noises around the apartment to a minimal as well in case he's competing with anything.

He really loves sunflower seeds and millet which we have as treats when he goes in his cage, and he has 2 toys that he's really attached to that we make sure are in his cage for him.

He's really coming on with his singing so when he started the screaming we thought maybe he was practicing but it's full on shrieking a lot of the time.

We love the tail feathers off this little guy, I'm sure this will pass but I want to make sure we're doing what's best for him without letting any bad habits in so I really appreciate all the advice! :D

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
No advice, but love the advice given previously here. Just wanted to say a big :welcome2: and the pics are so cute - what is his name, did I miss it? He surely sounds loved... OH - do you leave a radio on for him when out of the room?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He is a very handsome guy...and looking into his eyes, you can read that he's going to be-and probably already is, a bit of a scamp...;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Puberty can be a rough time.... Does he have any foraging? When my lovebird reached maturity she became a monster and keeping her busy with foraging was very helpful.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I have a specific whistle I use with my lovebird, and a different one with my conure. It's like we play Marco Polo when I'm doing stuff around the house.

TheToddicus

Moving in
@Fergus Mom thank you! We jokingly called him Bambino while deciding on a name, and since he's pretty much become our baby, it just stuck :roflmao: he's so fussy with music so I've been leaving him with my phone or tablet quietly on Spotify or YouTube :giggle:

TheToddicus

Moving in
@Leih we got him a couple but he's still not used to them - ordered some that he hopefully won't hiss at :rolleyes: we've been using different whistles with him while starting to train him as well as our flock call. He's started to whistle them back at us so I guess he thinks we need training too :laughing2:

TheToddicus

Moving in
I'd like to just say thanks to everyone again for being so welcoming and helpful!

I last used forums when I adopted my reptiles (they were in bad shape when I got them) and was met with people who just wanted to criticise my lack of experience rather than help us. I've never gone into getting a pet blind and always researched loads, but since I don't have friends with exotics, it's nice knowing there's people I can go to for advice. I really appreciate it as I was so apprehensive to join! :pinkgrin:

Also gotta say, I'm seeing some really cool and cute birds in profile pictures everyone :swoon: