• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

crop adjustment? regurgitation? illness???

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
my gcc (not sure of sex) was doing something weird today. she was furiously bobbing her head up and down with her mouth open and after awhile she spit out what i believe to be pieces of an almond she had eaten earlier. at first i thought this was probably her adjusting her crop of trying to get something unstuck but i watched some videos and i haven’t seen any birds bob while adjusting. also i don’t think birds usually spit up food while adjusting. my next thought was regurgitation but that just seems odd to me. she’s about a year old and my apt was getting sprayed for bugs today so i was taking her out. she started doing this while in the car in her little travel cage. this was her first time traveling aside from our ride that same morning. it just seems weird to me that she’s never regurgitated before and then suddenly in this probably stressful situation she decides to do it? idk. she wasn’t breathing hard or trembling or anything. i just want to make sure she’s okay!!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
To me it sounds like she could have gotten car sick. My birds do not get car sick, but I know some do. Somebody will probably come along soon with advice on how to prevent car sickness in birds.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Could she see clearly out of the car windows? If not then I have to agree that it's likely just car sickness.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
i thought about that but the only thing i was confused about was that from the research i’ve done it seems most birds shake their head side to side when throwing up while she was bobbing her head up and down very quickly with her head pointed up. could it still be carsickness?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt vomit/regurgitates- he can see clearly out of the car windows but he now gets terribly car sick after about 20 mins travel and he purposely regurgitates to the extreme. I guess he does it to relieve the awful nausea he’s feeling.
He looks kinda different to when he’s just happily regurgitating to feed me or a fav toy at home and it looks different to the vomit he did after anaesthesia.
I guess it’s different than normal regurgitation as he desperately wants the food out. He sits there with chunks of food and slimy saliva dripping from his beak and he looks just miserable- quite different from the prideful appearance he takes on after deliberately depositing regurgitation on me!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Ginger and mint are two things that are meant to help with nausea. I might try feeding some to Burt then going on a drive (when we’re allowed out again:( ) to see if it helps him any.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Thank you guys so much!! I am feeling much better knowing that nothing is wrong with her but also pretty bad now knowing that she must’ve felt awful at the time. this info is bittersweet i suppose lol. it was a pretty long drive of about 45 mins and even i was getting carsick so that makes a lot of sense. again thank you everyone!!