• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure being aggressive to cockatiels

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Ask Yoshi my GGC is quite aggressive at times to the cockatiels. Today he pulled a few of Kiya’s feathers out and at one point they were both on the net and Yoshi went to Kiya so she jumped off and then Yoshi bit hold of her tail feathers and I had to get over to help Kiya. luckily she was fine! my cockatiels are clipped (not my choice happened without my knowing) and i also have an IRN and he’s flighted and can get away easily from Yoshi but Yoshi still tries. Since the cockatiels are clipped it makes it harder from them and i worry about them. He’s only been with them less than a week and when Emi met the others she would chase them but that’s stopped now. So could it be just them trying to figure out who’s boss in the flock? What should i do to help them? i’m worried as i had a quaker parrot who i had to re home which was horrible because he was aggressive to the others. so i’m always a little scared when this kinda thing happens. any advice would be great!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Some birds, even within the same species, just are not team players and need to be let out separately from the rest of the flock

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Would you say that there is a possibility they will be able to get on in the end?

Reactions: Ali

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Would you say that there is a possibility they will be able to get on in the end?
I wouldn’t risk it. If they were just having little spats (squawking, wing flapping, etc.) it’d be one thing, but with the level of aggression you’re describing, I would be concerned about there being more serious wounds or bullying behavior.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I wouldn’t risk it. If they were just having little spats (squawking, wing flapping, etc.) it’d be one thing, but with the level of aggression you’re describing, I would be concerned about there being more serious wounds or bullying behavior.
it’s very difficult for me because they all are out in the same room at the same time. i can’t just let one of them out because of where they live in my house. i’m just very worried i’ll have to re home him like i had to do with my quaker which broke my heart. it’s kinda if he doesn’t change he’ll have to go which will be awful

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suspect there's also a difference between how the different species interact in general. Tiels tend to be much more laid-back while conures tend to be much bolshier. There are differences in how they play, settle arguments and so on.

You have to think whether these interactions are enriching and beneficial for all of the birds involved. If your conure is actually yanking out feathers, this isn't fair on your tiels. I would definitely not let them out together for fear that the aggression could escalate.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I suspect there's also a difference between how the different species interact in general. Tiels tend to be much more laid-back while conures tend to be much bolshier. There are differences in how they play, settle arguments and so on.

You have to think whether these interactions are enriching and beneficial for all of the birds involved. If your conure is actually yanking out feathers, this isn't fair on your tiels. I would definitely not let them out together for fear that the aggression could escalate.
yeah definitely my cockatiels are so relaxed so they don’t rework care about the other birds at all. Sometimes they can get too close to the others since you don’t tend to understand them too well but before Yoshi it was never this aggressive. i haven’t had this since Ori my quaker. i agree it’s not too fair on the cockatiels. they do stay away from them at times but that’s not good for them

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I’m trying to think it all through. Since it’s not possible for me to get them out at different times and my flock does require me leaving them very small times throughout the day so for example lunch and then i’m back. Do you think Emi would be alright if Yoshi was rehomed. Emi feeds him and they always go the same places but Emi does little love me and she has my sun conure now who she also likes to play with. i’m thinking it’s probably better Yoshi gets rehomed even though i really don’t want that. what do you think?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
it’s very difficult for me because they all are out in the same room at the same time. i can’t just let one of them out because of where they live in my house.
Since it’s not possible for me to get them out at different times
Could you elaborate a little?
I have all 7 of my birds in one room and I let them out separately. They do try going onto others cages so I cover the tops with blankets or a teatowel.
If we know a little more of your setup maybe we can offer some tips.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Could you elaborate a little?
I have all 7 of my birds in one room and I let them out separately. They do try going onto others cages so I cover the tops with blankets or a teatowel.
If we know a little more of your setup maybe we can offer some tips.
So they all live in my bedroom. the main thing i like is having them all out together as Yoshi doesn’t like being in his cage much. it’s scary for me because to the situation with Ori i always hold back with bonding to them because of that. i have autism which could also be why i find bonding harder too. for me my birds supports for me! for me i like to be able to have them all out together because otherwise i hate seeing them pace wanting to come out. so to me i wonder what’s better for me and him. if this make sense

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The fact that the conures have bonded also could contribute to the aggression. I know that some members have sectioned off rooms into two with netting, etc.

The reality is that some birds will be fine together for years and then suddenly not get along. So even if they started off as BFFs you always need a back up plan on how to make everyone happy. Quakers and conures are both territorial species so they are just doing what is natural for them by bullying the tiels.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
i like to be able to have them all out together because otherwise i hate seeing them pace wanting to come out
Offer a sprig of millet, a new toy (even a diy) or foraging oportunity to the one in the cage while one flies.
Then when you switch, provide something for the other.

In an ideal world I would fly my birds at the same time. It would be benefitial to them more than anything because they would have longer playtime. But as it stands, some don´t get on, and so they have to fly separate.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Not to be mean, but I do think it would be a little unfair to rehome your conure when the solution is very simple. Make sure each bird’s cage has plentiful room and toys and let the conures out separately from the tiels.
Some pets just aren’t compatible. I have 2 birds and 2 cats. The birds do well out together, but obviously they can’t be loose with my cats. This means when the birds are out, the cats are locked out of my room. They may not always like it, but it’s not cruel when they can explore the whole rest of the house. It also means sometimes bird playtime is cut short because the cats need back in. It’s about balancing the needs of everyone.
I can’t tell you what to do, and maybe rehoming is the best solution. But I firmly believe it would be a disservice to Yoshi to rehome him without trying other solutions first.

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
Not to be mean, but I do think it would be a little unfair to rehome your conure when the solution is very simple. Make sure each bird’s cage has plentiful room and toys and let the conures out separately from the tiels.
Some pets just aren’t compatible. I have 2 birds and 2 cats. The birds do well out together, but obviously they can’t be loose with my cats. This means when the birds are out, the cats are locked out of my room. They may not always like it, but it’s not cruel when they can explore the whole rest of the house. It also means sometimes bird playtime is cut short because the cats need back in. It’s about balancing the needs of everyone.
I can’t tell you what to do, and maybe rehoming is the best solution. But I firmly believe it would be a disservice to Yoshi to rehome him without trying other solutions first.
yeah of course i don’t want to re home him i do love him a lot! it probably is me being selfish because of my mental health too. i think i’d be stressed trying to work out times for each of them since my autism works around routine and changing that is stressful (however i understand with pets they do come first over me a bit) it’s just scary because i’m a little afraid to let myself bond 100% to him in case of anything. i just think it would be horrible to have them out at different times even if it’s simple. i just don’t know if he’d be better with a person who hasn’t got as many issues and can cope with it all more than i can if that makes sense. i do understand birds can not always get along it’s a risk. i’m just scared if i’m honest about it all

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have an adjustment disorder and when things don't go according to schedule/plan, it affects me much deeper than I will admit here.

However, if you make something like their separate out of cage time separate part of that schedule, it may take a bit to adjust, but it will allow you to continue having all of your birds - safely :)

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
I have an adjustment disorder and when things don't go according to schedule/plan, it affects me much deeper than I will admit here.

However, if you make something like their separate out of cage time separate part of that schedule, it may take a bit to adjust, but it will allow you to continue having all of your birds - safely :)
yeah i suppose it would work in the end! be hard at first but yeah it’s possible. i have a lot of think about with it all but thank you to everybody for you ideas and advice

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If you get to a position where it is just not possible and he keeps going after them, then rehomingbmsy be needed, but I hope that you can keep them living in harmony!

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
If you get to a position where it is just not possible and he keeps going after them, then rehomingbmsy be needed, but I hope that you can keep them living in harmony!
me too!

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I am sorry if I seemed harsh. I’m obsessive compulsive, which is obviously different but I understand the need for routine. As far as being worried about /them/ I promise having separate out times will not bother them too much once they adjust, especially if they have things to play with in their cage. I’m proud of you for being willing to try, and rehoming may be the best option, but you owe it to yourself and your birds to try.
Also, please don’t let yourself think that any of your problems make you less deserving or worthy. I’m not sure if that’s what you meant to say, but it’s how it came off. I wish you the best!