• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You have done a really great job with her. :)

Choco

Strolling the yard
So today I went to clean the cage cuz this one is really small for her and I think that’s why she damaged her feathers so I want to move her to the big one ASAP.But the thing is the cage is reallyyyy rusted since I got it From someone so I will buy a new one and bigger .Is this good ? If you know anything better around the same price let me know

Last edited:

Choco

Strolling the yard
quick update i got her cage (not the one I posted)it says with non-toxic powder-coated surface and it will arrive in 2 days .I wanted the fastest shipping since I don't want to see any damaged feathers. It also comes with stainless bowls which is perfect. Her check up visit its in 5 days. She started to learn on how to stand on the wooden perch which is really really good but she is so unpredictable and energetic sometimes it's really easy for her to hurt herself but I will be more careful

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The cage you posted looks to be a great size. I hope the one you chose is also great.

I hope the meds are helping, too!

Choco

Strolling the yard
Just realized the one I got is 0,7inch for the bar spacing is it still ok?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
That might actually be a bit too wide... :( If your tiel can fit her head through the bars, then it's too wide. The other cage is close to 1/2" bar spacing though...

Choco

Strolling the yard
:(well I requested a cancellation ,I will see if they accept .

Choco

Strolling the yard
The first one is 0,6inch is that okay?and it didn’t specify that it has non toxic powered coated surface what about that?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Theoretically speaking, it should be fine, but not I'm really familiar with the brand. Are there any other cages with around the same bar spacing? Just curious of options that may be available to you.

Choco

Strolling the yard
The problem is even if they are the shipping is longer and I need it asap because I don’t want to see another damaged feathers and blood in them .I will be looking for more options today but if I don’t find any can I get that one ?

Choco

Strolling the yard
So again another feather .I really don’t understand why this is happening.Either it’s for the medication or the cage being small but that will be fixed because the cage arrived .But I’m getting really upset and worried for why this is happening to her .The feather itself looked completely fine except for the root .It’s weird and it has no colour until a certain point .I don’t know if you can tell from the photos

Attachments

Choco

Strolling the yard
My best guess it’s because it’s due to her infections

Choco

Strolling the yard
Hello , I just came back from the vet .And let me tell you I am devastated.They told me her infections are gone BUT she is still weak and skinny and her bean and legs are white which is something like anemia .She told me she isn’t as normal size as a cockatiel and won’t probably be living as much as them .I asked how long can she live approximately.She said it’s hard to say but maybe if she makes it to ONE year it means what we did was helpful.That sentence right there totality broke me .I was not expecting this at all .I love pikachu with all my heart and I spent 1000$ on her so far .She said we don’t know what is wrong with her it could be something she was born with but we can do x-rays to see everything...
I am young ,I go there by myself and I don’t trust this specific veterinarian but she brought pikachu in the back so I guess others saw her as well .BUT the other time i went she looked up in the website to see about the formula and stuff and the measurements it has to be .She looked on the website which said give at 86F which was not what I ever heard and even the technician said it’s more than that .And I don’t know if I can trust them with what they said .the only good news I have is the infections that I are gone and that she is weaned now and drinks and eats on her own ,they give her vitamins and iron plus changed her medication for the past week and now is continuing one of them but she literally tries to fly and asks me for head scratches and even follows me when I leave .They are other stuff that was mentioned but it’s too long to write .please help me out I am truly looking for hope and I really can’t take it if she leaves me it’s killing me knowing that please please help me out

@Zara @Monica @finchly @rocky'smom

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey. I know all this is a shock, but let’s look at all the things you’ve done RIGHT.
You came here and asked for help - and kept asking
You got her weaned
The infection is gone

Those are things to celebrate! Good job!

As far as how long she’ll live, that’s just a guess. You might be able to offset it with great nutrition. Youre already so careful and caring with her (more pluses) you’ll be great at keeping an eye out for more illness.

She needs you to be calm and “in control” because that is what keeps her calm, okay?

Choco

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much for your help too .But I really can’t take it if she leaves me I wanted a cockatiel for months now and i love her so so so much and I don’t want to miss her I want her with me is a year all I got with her ? Which it isn’t even guaranteed? I would spend hours watching her she really is the most precious thing to me

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you so much for your help too .But I really can’t take it if she leaves me I wanted a cockatiel for months now and i love her so so so much and I don’t want to miss her I want her with me is a year all I got with her ? Which it isn’t even guaranteed? I would spend hours watching her she really is the most precious thing to me
I know. Trust me, I know. You need to give her the best year you possibly can. Best food, best attention, best everything.
But like I said, that vet doesn’t know everything. They were trying to prepare you for an event that may or may not happen. What if she lives to be 28? You know?

Just love her. Honestly nothing in life is a guarantee, you know this. Things happen and you can lose a pet or a family member. But you can’t worry about that you have to just do your best while you can.

We will help you, and you’ll be a great birdie parent. There are not many people who could have hand fed a bird with 2 illnesses and actually kept it alive - but you did it!

Choco

Strolling the yard
I managed with everyone’s help as well.The thing is since a new school told me last minute they don’t have any space I have to go to my old school which is 1h20 min from me and so I’m gone from 7 to 6pm.I told myself it’s just two years then I can be with her but now I don’t know anymore .But I am truly thankful for everyone’s help it helped me and pikachu a lot and At least she got to have fun for some time .I was hoping she could meet kiwi and snowy and play together ,but knowing she could leave me any moment will always haunt me I know it can happen for everything else too but my whole family loved pikachu and I myself as well .Once again Pikachu and I are thankful for everyone’s help (pikachu in backyard)

Attachments