• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Baby cockatiel

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If she's ready for a bigger cage, that would be a better option. You can see if maybe you could somehow raise the bottom if you don't want her to fall too far.

Long term though, I would recommend a larger cage if you can find one that's suitable for her.

Choco

Strolling the yard
I don’t know if I rain raise the bottom and I’m afraid she will fall .She can stand on my finger but it’s risky and I kinda want for her to gain more weight and get stronger for the bigger cage and overall it’s safer .Don’t get me wrong she is stronger than the first days and she has gained weight!!Thank you !

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Two (or more) perches or dowels can be used to create a platform that you can then place something sturdy on top of to create a false bottom.

Choco

Strolling the yard
i found these in her feathers .it isn’t bleeding tho .what should I do with it? It was really hard to take a pic sorry if it isn’t clear.there was another one in addition of these two but either she plucked it or it just fell out

Attachments

Last edited:

Choco

Strolling the yard
I know what a broken blood feather is but since it isn’t bleeding maybe I don’t need to pull it out and it will fall like the other one and also she wants to fly and attempted too how can I teach her without her getting hurt?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She could be molting or she could have knocked them loose. I can't really tell if the whole quill is there. If it's not bleeding, it's okay.

Choco

Strolling the yard
But there is dried blood in the beginning of the feather tube but thankfully it isn’t bleeding .and also i don’t know if she plucked her tail feather or something but I also found these .it was dirt cuz of the dropping but I gave her a tiny bath just to wash the dirt of so maybe she thought they weren’t good or something.

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Could be feather cysts or just stress or damage. @Macawnutz has a lot of knowledge on damaged feathers.

She's still growing so she should not be molting yet.

In regards to flying, if you want to start working on target training her, you could help teach her to fly by having her fly *short* distances and slowly increasing that distance. She will learn on her own, but it can help to have a helping hand!

Choco

Strolling the yard
I don't know because she still can't stand on the perch but she can on my fingers, thank you I will be trying that. And for the veggies I offered her some spinach and bell pepper with cucumbers chopped in a container but she didn't try or ate anything of it. The only thing she eats is pellets and formula not even seeds. I think she is still really young for that maybe

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can offer sprouted seeds, too.

Target training can be trained on a flat surface.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had to skim the thread to understand the story. From what I read and see in the pictures most likely this is a dietary issue. The first feather looks to be twisted which can happen to any bird. The second two look poorly developed overall and seem to have quit developing before they came out. Make sure you are getting enough nutrition in to support all this growing.

Choco

Strolling the yard
I believe those were her old feathers that she already had when I got her and well she probably wasn’t getting enough food so I guess that’s why but I am giving him formula even a little more than 12 % of her body weight .She was 42g when I got her but now she is 60gram so the situation really got better but thank you I will!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The two feathers in your second picture appear to be tail feathers. From what little tail you had to start with you own the issue.

I know nothing about Cockatiels and can not comment regarding the diet, care or normal growth. I can say that the feathers seemed to have stopped short of developing and they appear poor quality overall. As a baby it would point me to 1. diet and than 2. illness.

Choco

Strolling the yard
She did have yeast and something else infection but she is having medications for it so maybe that’s also why

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She did have yeast and something else infection but she is having medications for it so maybe that’s also why
Antibiotics and antifungals can cause stress during feather growth and that could account for the damage.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Only one month? Let me just say you've both done really well. She looks so healthy and relaxed now. You must be so proud now. :heart: