• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some helpful links about hand feeding and weaning:)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
With these Links-I hope to bring You as Much information as I can to help anyone that finds them selves having to Hand feed A chick

Lots of tips for Breeders-with links for Hand feeding etc
http://www.parrotscanada.com/breeder...rbreeders.html

A new way to Hand feed-With a Cup!
http://www.parrotpro.com/cupfeed.php

Reasons to NOT Buy an UN Weaned Baby and some Very Sad stories
http://www.itsagreysworld.com/misc/unweaned.htm

The Science of Handfeeding and Weaning the Baby Parrot:

Last edited by a moderator:

lisa coy

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa McCoy
Wow these are really useful and meaningful links. I would also like to share my experience that following many birding books have really helped me in being a bird parent as well as engaging in birding across Michigan and more birding destinations. Birding Guide from St Martin's Press was especially useful in the beginning. I am also part of many facebook groups which are global and whenever i need any kind of advice, someone or the other is online to help.

Mockinbirdiva

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I watched this video through it's entirety and am sharing it with you so you can see how this person has a bowl of water ( at the same temp of the formula) for her bowl of formula to sit in to keep the temperature of the formula as it needs to be for feeding and less likely the formula will cool down... given, she is feeding multiple babies so it's important she keeps the formula as it should be while feeding them all. By doing this you will set your thermometer in the formula to read the temp. If the formula is too hot you will watch the thermometer as the formula cools to the right temp for feeding.

You will also note how she gently holds the chicks heads for feeding as they bob/ respond for feeding. If your chick is younger, you've never fed before you might not push the formula as quickly if the feeding response from your chick is not as active. I would also suggest purchasing a scale that weighs in grams and ounces. You will set the scale to weigh in GRAMS. Weigh the baby before your first morning feed after it poops to get a true weight. If it weighs 20 grams you will feed 10% of the weight which will be 2 ml or 2 cc's. 30 grams- 3ml or 3cc's.

Zara

Try to be a rainbow in somebody else´s cloud ❤️
Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Formula guides;
More specific information on how to prepare each formula from the manufacturer.

(HARI) Hagen Tropican

Versele-Laga Nutribird
A19; Macaws, Eclectuss, Hawk-headed Parrots, African Greys and other baby birds with high energy requirements
A19 High energy; Complete hand-rearing food specially formulated for baby birds with high energy requirements
A21; Complete hand-rearing food for all baby birds
A18 Lori; Lories and Lorikeets

Kaytee Exact
Preparation Instructions
Hand feeding guide PDF (Optional; Download or read online)
(PDF attached below)

Zupreem
Embrace; Suitable for most species of Old World psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills), including cockatoos, cockatiels, parakeets and lovebirds, debilitated or anorexic birds, and orphaned wild birds.
Embrace Plus; Conures, Amazons, macaws, caiques, hawkheads, African greys, Asiatic parakeets, Poicephalus parrots and eclectus
(PDF attached below)

Harrison´s
Juvenile;
JUVENILE HAND-FEEDING FORMULA-Harrison's Bird Foods (Click ¨Feeding directions¨)
Recovery / Neonate formula;

Vetafarm Neocare
(Click ¨directions¨) Neocare - Vetafarm

Psittacus
Mini; (Cockatiels, lovebirds, parakeets, Rosellas, Conures Bourkes parakeet, parrotlets...)
(Unfortunately I could not find the English guides for the following formulas, so you will have to copy and paste into google translate)
High protein; (amazons, cockatoos, parakeets, pionus ...)
High energy; (African greys, macaws, poicephalus ...)
Neonatal; Suitable for most species of psittacines (not recommended for cockatiels and Australian parakeets)
Frugivorous neonatal; Suitable for most species of parrots
Lori special; Loriinae family
Eclectus special; Eclectus genus
Cockatoo special; Cacatuidae family (except for the genus Probosciger and subgenus Calyptorhynchus zanda)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Formula guides;
More specific information on how to prepare each formula from the manufacturer.

(HARI) Hagen Tropican

Versele-Laga Nutribird
A19; Macaws, Eclectuss, Hawk-headed Parrots, African Greys and other baby birds with high energy requirements
A19 High energy; Complete hand-rearing food specially formulated for baby birds with high energy requirements
A21; Complete hand-rearing food for all baby birds
A18 Lori; Lories and Lorikeets

Kaytee Exact
Preparation Instructions
Hand feeding guide PDF (Optional; Download or read online)

Zupreem
Embrace; Suitable for most species of Old World psittacines (hookbills) and passerines (softbills), including cockatoos, cockatiels, parakeets and lovebirds, debilitated or anorexic birds, and orphaned wild birds.
Embrace Plus; Conures, Amazons, macaws, caiques, hawkheads, African greys, Asiatic parakeets, Poicephalus parrots and eclectus

Harrison´s
Juvenile;
JUVENILE HAND-FEEDING FORMULA-Harrison's Bird Foods (Click ¨Feeding directions¨)
Recovery / Neonate formula;

Psittacus
Mini; (Cockatiels, lovebirds, parakeets, Rosellas, Conures Bourkes parakeet, parrotlets...)
(Unfortunately I could not find the English guides for the following formulas, so you will have to copy and paste into google translate)
High protein; (amazons, cockatoos, parakeets, pionus ...)
High energy; (African greys, macaws, poicephalus ...)
Neonatal; Suitable for most species of psittacines (not recommended for cockatiels and Australian parakeets)
Frugivorous neonatal; Suitable for most species of parrots
Lori special; Loriinae family
Eclectus special; Eclectus genus
Cockatoo special; Cacatuidae family (except for the genus Probosciger and subgenus Calyptorhynchus zanda)

The link for the Kaytee hand feeding guide would not down load for me and the Zupreem link gave me a page that said the connection was not secure... so it didn't work for me either.

Have you seen this page before? I just came upon it. Egg information...

Zara

Super Moderator
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How to mix formula (tips)

Remember;

-the ratio used in the video are for that specific brand, all brands are a little different, be sure to check what the brand states for your formula.
-the temperature of this formula is again specific to this brand. Check what the manufacturer of your formula state as feeding temperature. (The norm is 40C / 105F
-a crop needle really is for experts only. If you are a beginner, use a spoon.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Here is a video of how I mix formula. Note that this is for older babies not very young newly hatched chicks. Also, since making the video I have decided that I prefer to add the water to the container and then the powdered formula to the water before mixing.

AN IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure and listen to the commentary, this is very specifically for feeding almost weaned chicks. Mixing is the same but I took some liberties with the temperature at the end because I was feeding a chick who was used to eating foods of all types and temperatures since it was almost fully weaned. The temperatures discussed at the beginning are correct.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Here is an example of feeding a nearly weaned caique who is down to two feedings a day. As you can see it is a bit different than feeding a smaller baby and again the lower temperature of the formula is not an issue for a weaning baby. This formula was mixed to the normal feeding temperature but I didn't do anything to prevent it from cooling further. If I had younger babies to feed I would keep the filled syringes in a hot water bath to maintain the temperature.