• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
So today, Bobber is out of his cage and staying on the playtop with a toy he's very protective of. Put a perch Bobber is afraid of on the couch back to discourage him from landing there!

A hour in. So far so screaming, no biting. So hopefully I didn't jinx it!
Sometimes a little change, like you did with the perch on the couch is enough to reset their behavior,. I hope this helps you.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block

We literally just rearranged the entire living room this weekend so that we could roll out Bobber's cage into the living room so he could hang out with us. We bought a new couch last year. We don't have another chair besides straight back wooden dining room chairs.

If he's in the living room on the couch with me, no issues.

If he's in the living room on any other surface, he screams.

If he's in the living room in his cage he screams.

If he's in any other room, caged or not caged , he screams.

If he's not in a cage in the living room when Josh is home, as soon as Josh sits down on the couch, within 5 mins he will fly over and attack him.

He will also attack him if he gets up from the couch. Or tries to leave the room.

So literally screaming or biting right now unless I'm the only one home and he's on the couch. I don't think Josh will accept not sitting on the only soft surface in the house besides a bed as a compromise unfortunately :(

The couch seems to be the common dominator. You have a choice, replace the couch or Bobber.

So today, Bobber is out of his cage and staying on the playtop with a toy he's very protective of. Put a perch Bobber is afraid of on the couch back to discourage him from landing there!

A hour in. So far so screaming, no biting. So hopefully I didn't jinx it!

I think using scare and fear tactics to suppress breeding & territory behaviours will just cause more problems further down the line. I have read that placing an item that scares a bird outside a cage on a bedside table and over a period of time that item is gradually move closer to the cage. Then hanging the item on the side of the cage. I believe it's a desensitising process.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

The couch seems to be the common dominator. You have a choice, replace the couch or Bobber.

I think using scare and fear tactics to suppress breeding & territory behaviours will just cause more problems further down the line. I have read that placing an item that scares a bird outside a cage on a bedside table and over a period of time that item is gradually move closer to the cage. Then hanging the item on the side of the cage. I believe it's a desensitising process.

I'm sorry but "replace the couch or Bobber" is not a solution. I don't have money just laying around to order new furniture all the time, and of course I'm not choosing a couch OVER Bobber by saying I can't remove it. I shouldn't have to defend myself against having a COUCH. The bites do not ONLY occur on the couch, they are only the most frequent there. It would be a bandage solution at best.

I've used "scare tactics" before with Jingo and Koopa - for the tops of counters and for the top of a TV without ill effect. It's a barrier that teaches boundaries. And if it helps us ALL - Bobber gets to remain out, without screaming or biting - it seems that its a better solution than selling my furniture.

I will work on desensitizing a stick for him. I did that with toys and perches for Gizmo and it took months but it was effective.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Hopefully things work out. Quakers are so weird. Jekyll and Hyde little monsters LOL. I would say any areas where the bites happen most are now off limits, including Josh. I had so much more biting and screaming going on before the birds moved downstairs. Obviously, you can't change the layout of your home. Giving the bird a 100% separate area was literally a game changer for me. I wish that were an option for you. :(

Not sure I would call them scare tactics, but I use barrier tools in areas where I have problems or where nasty behavior occurs. It's not necessarily fear, but they do learn where they can and can't go. Quakers are so naturally communal and I'm beginning to believe that when they are brought up in less than ideal situations they are missing an important socialization period. I would be afraid putting him back in the rescue would just cause a continuous loop of re homing. Although you can't have him attacking your husband or kid.

Are Jingo and Bobber bonded at all? Would they be okay being separated?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are Jingo and Bobber bonded at all? Would they be okay being separated?

They are not bonded but they consider themselves a flock. constant flock calling if they are in separate rooms.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I have hand tamed an aviary bred bird, that was terrified of everything and everyone. Just looking at him was enough to terrify him. In four months this bird was stepping up and down from anywhere, would happily sit on my finger and take food from my hand. Although after the four months the bird wasn't terrified of everything and everyone he was still skittish, something like a curtain moving in a breeze would make him fly off. Due to a curtain separating the kitchen and dining, lounge rooms not being closed properly and the bird being spooked. He flew from the lounge room into the kitchen and into the kitchen window and the impact broke his neck.

Angel was a 5 yr old female Eclectus parrot that was rehome to us. She was a vicious demon-bird which hated EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. We were told that she was a screamer and biter. Angel spent around 3 yrs on a patio with very limited human interaction. So she started to scream until a neighbour complain to the council. What we weren't told, was that she didn't just scream at the top of her voice, she also swore at the top of her voice. Never understood why some people think it's funny to teach a parrot to swear. We also suspected that she was fed a bad diet.

My son Steven picked her up and she screamed most of the way home. She was placed in a cage and put in a corner of the lounge room which gave her a good view of the lounge, dining room and part of the kitchen. Also we placed a sheet to cover the top, back and sides of the cage. We felt that this gave Angel a sense of security. she screamed continuously for half of the first day. After that first day when inside the house she only screamed in the mornings and evenings. But we would put our birds outside to get a dose of sunlight. Angel would swear when she got a scare and each time it would last for 15 to 20 minutes. However I couldn't stop her swearing at the top of her voice and there was young children within earshot of Angels swearing. We decided to find a home for her on a large property. She went to a breeder who had a 25 acre property. This was done in the best interest of Angel and our neighbours. I personally would have love to have kept her. but it wasn't about me.

Angel would take a food item held with fingers. if she was in the cage she take the food very gently. But on the bird stand she was a lot more aggressive when taking the food. If you got too close she would bite, and she was real quick. When she bit, she would violently twist her head side to side. On more than occasion she remove skin and flesh from fingers and hands. But with the use of clicker and target training I stopped her biting and had her stepping up and down within 3 months and by 6 months she was able to be handled by selected people ( Angel's choice) without being bitten.

I'm going to be brutally honest now.
Mizzely
You have had Bobber for 2 and half years and the situation is becoming worse. He screams continually, bites and is now attacking your husband. It's blatantly obvious that Bobber is not at all HAPPY in this ENVIRONMENT and your TRAINING, or LACK of IT isn't ADDRESSING the SITUATION. What kind of life do you want for Bobber? People think that it takes great strength to hold on, But I think it take more strength to realise that it's time to let go. You need to do what's best for Bobber, your Husband and yourself. I believe that Bobber is an aviary bred bird and someone has tried to tame him and when they messed him up, they rehomed him.

Of course you could look at some of Barbara Heidenreich or Bird tricks videos instead.

I have read your posts and
do you really believe deep down that Bobber is a fit into your home environment?
Is it beneficial to Bobber screaming?
Is it beneficial to Bobber being caged?
How much longer is your husband going to tolerate being bitten?

He is barely paying attention to Bobber, which maybe that's part of it? He gets no shoulder time, and we only have him step up onto a perch. We'll be all on the couch, and all will be fine, then suddenly Bobber rushes over to Josh and bites him without us even looking at him. You're right though that hormones don't help anything. I also have no idea how old he is.

I have considered that my home might not be his forever one. But I also always worry that I'm not doing everything I can, regardless if that's correct or not. I always think I can do better

I think its needs to be understood too that Bobber has never really been a "pet." He is trained to go home because he is cage protective like a Quaker is, and I used that against him to make it happen. Otherwise, he is afraid of hands, perches, towels, arms, etc. He does not step up, on anything. Any attempts send him flying. I can give him treats but they must extend past my fingers or he will bite me. I can feed him food on a spoon, but he will attack the spoon before trying the food (if it doesn't go flying). He is not lured by food even a few inches. He will only take food if you come to him.

He doesn't nip. He bites and grinds.

Our harmony has been to allow him freedom to be in or out of his cage, lots of food options, several options for outside cage perching, and allowing him to be a bird. I have not pushed myself on him because I've had very little signal from him that he WANTS a human friend.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

He's just all around confusing. I can't tell if he WANTS a human friend or not. I'm not even convinced he wants a bird friend :( Jingo and him showed promise at the beginning but now they just ignore each other or fight.

I don't even need him to be my friend, I just need him to not be my enemy. I was fine when he ignored all of us and was in his own world but, was he? I don't know the answer.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Hormones aside, we've only been dealing with the screaming issues for about 4 or 5 months and biting for about a month. I owe him more time to try.

He screams regardless. Doesn't seem to matter. He just dances for Josh when he walks in and is the only one he shows any interest in. We've been here since September and it was just since about January that the screaming started at a fever pitch. Every 2 to 6 seconds.

I have been looking at solutions. Everyday because my sanity depends on it. I can't live in a near panic attack all day everyday. I work at creating harmony between everyone in my house all day. Trust me. I don't give up easily.
I can get him to go home but he's resistant to training :( I'll try harder.

I know what target training is. He won't even gently touch a spoon with food on it. A stick makes him go flying or he attacks it. There hasn't been a middle ground for that in 2.5 years. :(

I don't have a problem getting him in his cage. But he CANNOT be allowed to attack my husband, so I'm not sure what else to do when he bites him and then keeps coming back for more UNLESS he is caged.

We literally just rearranged the entire living room this weekend so that we could roll out Bobber's cage into the living room so he could hang out with us. We bought a new couch last year. We don't have another chair besides straight back wooden dining room chairs.

If he's in the living room on the couch with me, no issues.

If he's in the living room on any other surface, he screams.

If he's in the living room in his cage he screams.

If he's in any other room, caged or not caged , he screams.

If he's not in a cage in the living room when Josh is home, as soon as Josh sits down on the couch, within 5 mins he will fly over and attack him.

He will also attack him if he gets up from the couch. Or tries to leave the room.

So literally screaming or biting right now unless I'm the only one home and he's on the couch. I don't think Josh will accept not sitting on the only soft surface in the house besides a bed as a compromise unfortunately :(

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have hand tamed an aviary bred bird, that was terrified of everything and everyone. Just looking at him was enough to terrify him. In four months this bird was stepping up and down from anywhere, would happily sit on my finger and take food from my hand. Although after the four months the bird wasn't terrified of everything and everyone he was still skittish, something like a curtain moving in a breeze would make him fly off. Due to a curtain separating the kitchen and dining, lounge rooms not being closed properly and the bird being spooked. He flew from the lounge room into the kitchen and into the kitchen window and the impact broke his neck.

Angel was a 5 yr old female Eclectus parrot that was rehome to us. She was a vicious demon-bird which hated EVERYTHING and EVERYONE. We were told that she was a screamer and biter. Angel spent around 3 yrs on a patio with very limited human interaction. So she started to scream until a neighbour complain to the council. What we weren't told, was that she didn't just scream at the top of her voice, she also swore at the top of her voice. Never understood why some people think it's funny to teach a parrot to swear. We also suspected that she was fed a bad diet.

My son Steven picked her up and she screamed most of the way home. She was placed in a cage and put in a corner of the lounge room which gave her a good view of the lounge, dining room and part of the kitchen. Also we placed a sheet to cover the top, back and sides of the cage. We felt that this gave Angel a sense of security. she screamed continuously for half of the first day. After that first day when inside the house she only screamed in the mornings and evenings. But we would put our birds outside to get a dose of sunlight. Angel would swear when she got a scare and each time it would last for 15 to 20 minutes. However I couldn't stop her swearing at the top of her voice and there was young children within earshot of Angels swearing. We decided to find a home for her on a large property. She went to a breeder who had a 25 acre property. This was done in the best interest of Angel and our neighbours. I personally would have love to have kept her. but it wasn't about me.

Angel would take a food item held with fingers. if she was in the cage she take the food very gently. But on the bird stand she was a lot more aggressive when taking the food. If you got too close she would bite, and she was real quick. When she bit, she would violently twist her head side to side. On more than occasion she remove skin and flesh from fingers and hands. But with the use of clicker and target training I stopped her biting and had her stepping up and down within 3 months and by 6 months she was able to be handled by selected people ( Angel's choice) without being bitten.

Mizzely
You have had Bobber for 2 and half years and the situation is becoming worse. He screams continually, bites and is now attacking your husband. It's blatantly obvious that Bobber is not at all HAPPY in this ENVIRONMENT and your TRAINING, or LACK of IT isn't ADDRESSING the SITUATION. What kind of life do you want for Bobber? People think that it takes great strength to hold on, But I think it take more strength to realise that it's time to let go. You need to do what's best for Bobber, your Husband and yourself. I believe that Bobber is an aviary bred bird and someone has tried to tame him and when they messed him up, they rehomed him.

Of course you could look at some of Barbara Heidenreich or Bird tricks videos instead.

do you really believe deep down that Bobber is a fit into your home environment?
Wow.

@Shinobi , your post about giving away your bird just because it swore upset me the first time I read it. Like it really upset me!

Now it's upsetting me even more because you are trying to convince someone who takes damn good care of their bird to just give up and give it to someone else, like you did? Wtf?

Are you a sociopath or something?

How do you not think your Eclectus was traumatized? Or worse?

I hope not but it seems like you think just giving up and giving it to someone else solves everything.

That's mindblowing crazy. Obviously you didn't train your bird right so I don't think you should act like such an expert.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mizzely

Around age 2, Jingo started attacking me, divebombing me, and screaming a lot too. Maybe I am just a terrible bird owner; it's possible I guess, since I'm 2 for 2 on that front with Quakers (not with my green cheek and Hahns though, so seems my data isn't good enough to make a claim either way). Jingo is now 7 and we have learned to understand each other and the screaming is way down for him. Because I didn't give up on him 5 years ago when we went through heck for about 8 months.

Yes, I have had Bobber for 2.5 years, and for almost 5 months he has been screaming constantly. For about a month he has been attacking my husband. In spring. Jingo, my buddy, attacked me today too. I don't know why. It's spring and with quakers, I have gotten used to it. It's part of the package.

5 months to me is both a long time and not a long time. In the moment it feels like forever, but looking back and Jingo having the same issues when he was younger (and I don't know anything about Bobber except that I am at least his 4th home, not including the rescue), it feels like a fleeting moment.

Bobber obviously gets something out of the screaming or he wouldn't do it. He is caged for maybe 4 hours a day tops IF I have to cage him. Last two days? No bites. Minimal screaming. Small steps, but steps forward.

How much longer will my husband tolerate being bitten? Well, we have worked on ways to avoid it. Barrier on the couch, and wearing a hoodie so far have done wonders. If the flying attacks continue, we will consider a light clip to add a few seconds to his response time.

We are learning day by day. My life with birds has NEVER been a constant. Things change and I change with them. Sometimes its easier than others.

Am I a terrible bird trainer? Sure. I train what I need them to know, like Go Home, and I let them be birds after that. Maybe I give them too much freedom, I don't know. I haven't trained Bobber because he doesn't like it, and it stresses him out. Is he impossible to train? I doubt it; I just haven't wanted to push him because I respect him in ways that I am sure previous owners haven't.

The kind of life I want for Bobber? Stable. I want a home for him that loves him even if he doesn't love them back. I want someplace he has access to healthy food and clean water. I want him to have a home where he can be out for most of the day. I don't want him passed around from home to home just because he isn't easy. That's what I want for him.

So to rehome him, now, just because of a behavior change that I am still working with, in the middle of spring when hormones are raging? To pawn it off on someone else at the worst possible time? No, I won't do that. Will I consider rehoming him if it's best for everyone but especially Bobber? Of course. But we aren't there yet.

Last edited:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Wow.

@Shinobi , your post about giving away your bird just because it swore upset me the first time I read it. Like it really upset me!

Now it's upsetting me even more because you are trying to convince someone who takes damn good care of their bird to just give up and give it to someone else, like you did? Wtf?

Are you a sociopath or something?

How do you not think your Eclectus was traumatized? Or worse?

I hope not but it seems like you think just giving up and giving it to someone else solves everything.

That's mindblowing crazy. Obviously you didn't train your bird right so I don't think you should act like such an expert.

CrazyBirdChick

I really don't care if you're upset or offended, because it's not about you.

People like you, think that you can justified your opinions and beliefs by calling others names, try to guilt trip them, humiliate and question their methods. Just because you feel upset and offended. I have never considered myself to be an expert and find it amusing that when others get upset or offended by what I post, they call me an expert.
OUR decision to rehome Angel was not one that was taken lightly. But I had to CONSIDER my neighbours and their YOUNG CHILDREN. The MAIN REASON why Angel was REHOMED from her ORIGINAL OWNERS was because of her SWEARING AT THE TOP OF HER VOICE, WE HAD THE PEOPLE FIVE HOUSES UP THE ROAD HEARING HER AND THATS FROM INSIDE THEIR HOUSE.... so it wasn't just because she swore, she was using every swear word including that ONE PARTICULAR WORD, that WOMEN FIND VERY OFFENSIVE. I SPENT MONTHS TRYING TO MODIFIED HER SWEARING BEHAVIOUR AND HAD NO SUCCESS. Even tried Barbara Heidenreich & Bird tricks. We didn't just give Angel away, there was criteria that had to be met. experienced bird owner, Large property, no close neighbours and a big aviary. If we hadn't found someone we would have spoken to an bird sanctuary so Angel could live out her life without human interaction.

Angel had come to us already TRAUMATISED AND BROKEN, she lived with her previous owner for five years. who's family smoked and drank excessively. So for the first two years of her life she was exposed to smoke and drunks who most likely taught her to swear. It also makes one wonder what else these drunks did to Angel. When Angel became too much to handle inside they put outside on the patio... ALONE,, LIMITED HUMAN CONTACT FOR THREE YEARS. NO WONDER SHE STARTED SCREAMING AND SWEARING.

When Angel first came to us, she was unable to be handle with hands or a perch, I could only move her with a T-stick. Angel would lunged at people and bit hard, within six months Angel was stepping up and down from anywhere and I could touch her anywhere without be bitten. Angel would also step up and down for a select few. So I trained a bird that was unable to be handle by anybody to one that could and you think that I didn't train Angel right.

I never said that Mizzely wasn't taking good care of their birds or a terrible bird owner. I simply pointed out that Bobber's behaviour is consistent with a bird who is unhappy with their home environment and that sometimes the best thing for the bird and everyone else is to rehome. But CrazyBirdChick if you had fully read my post you would have seen that I also suggested to watch Barbara Heidenreich or Bird tricks videos too.

I have respect for Mizzely taking on a bird that has been rehomed four times, because that tells me that Bobber is one sociopath of a bird and says volumes about Mizzely's character. I would also still have respect for Mizzely if she did rehome Bobber because she did her best for him.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block

Around age 2, Jingo started attacking me, divebombing me, and screaming a lot too. Maybe I am just a terrible bird owner; it's possible I guess, since I'm 2 for 2 on that front with Quakers (not with my green cheek and Hahns though, so seems my data isn't good enough to make a claim either way). Jingo is now 7 and we have learned to understand each other and the screaming is way down for him. Because I didn't give up on him 5 years ago when we went through heck for about 8 months.

Yes, I have had Bobber for 2.5 years, and for almost 5 months he has been screaming constantly. For about a month he has been attacking my husband. In spring. Jingo, my buddy, attacked me today too. I don't know why. It's spring and with quakers, I have gotten used to it. It's part of the package.

5 months to me is both a long time and not a long time. In the moment it feels like forever, but looking back and Jingo having the same issues when he was younger (and I don't know anything about Bobber except that I am at least his 4th home, not including the rescue), it feels like a fleeting moment.

Bobber obviously gets something out of the screaming or he wouldn't do it. He is caged for maybe 4 hours a day tops IF I have to cage him. Last two days? No bites. Minimal screaming. Small steps, but steps forward.

How much longer will my husband tolerate being bitten? Well, we have worked on ways to avoid it. Barrier on the couch, and wearing a hoodie so far have done wonders. If the flying attacks continue, we will consider a light clip to add a few seconds to his response time.

We are learning day by day. My life with birds has NEVER been a constant. Things change and I change with them. Sometimes its easier than others.

Am I a terrible bird trainer? Sure. I train what I need them to know, like Go Home, and I let them be birds after that. Maybe I give them too much freedom, I don't know. I haven't trained Bobber because he doesn't like it, and it stresses him out. Is he impossible to train? I doubt it; I just haven't wanted to push him because I respect him in ways that I am sure previous owners haven't.

The kind of life I want for Bobber? Stable. I want a home for him that loves him even if he doesn't love them back. I want someplace he has access to healthy food and clean water. I want him to have a home where he can be out for most of the day. I don't want him passed around from home to home just because he isn't easy. That's what I want for him.

So to rehome him, now, just because of a behavior change that I am still working with, in the middle of spring when hormones are raging? To pawn it off on someone else at the worst possible time? No, I won't do that. Will I consider rehoming him if it's best for everyone but especially Bobber? Of course. But we aren't there yet.

Mizzely
I admire and respect your commitment to your birds. For the record I don't you're a terrible trainer or bird owner. Look into Barbara Heidenreich or Bird tricks videos.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Believe it or not the couch was an issue for us and Elvis too. I do think Elvis started seeing the couch as his "nest" so to speak. I know the situation is somewhat different because Elvis actually likes Howie which is why the biting was so weird. I do really blame hormones. And then unfortunately, I think it also because a game for Elvis. It's not the best way to handle it, but Howie chose to stay upstairs when Elvis was out. If Howie was downstairs, I put Elvis back in his cage. And yes, he did scream. I think I mentioned before that the trainer I spoke to said that Howie should do target training with Elvis. We hadn't tried it yet but we'll see what happens when Elvis comes back from his vacation. I know how frustrating this can be.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Mizzely, you are far from a terrible bird owner. I actually agree 100% with @Shinobi on this. It just doesn't "feel" like you are Bobber's forever soft spot. It's not quite soft for him at your place, hmm? Brutal honesty, and painful I know because it feels as if you are giving up. But you aren't, if you move him along you are taking the highest road for his happiness (at the expense of your own sense of well being). It is about the birds, and their happiness. They don't get to choose, but they sure can let us know things are not right.

You have tried for a long time with Bobber and no one will fault you if you at least interview someone about a new home. Maybe the rescue could put him in a foster home? Maybe they already have a perfect home just waiting for the right bird?

@CrazyBirdChick Im very sorry, do you think your post went a little far? I too want to support Mizzely.... I went back and read Shinobi's post and the first time through I thought he was saying HE kept the bird on a patio with no interaction.....second reading I see he meant before he got her, she was isolated on a patio. Maybe that is what you thought too?

Shinobi, I don't know if you can change your font size.... I am always interested to read your posts but I can't see them very well.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
In my opinion, perfect homes don't exist. These are essentially wild animals, far different from domesticated pets that are easily trained to do what we want. Some birds will never be good "pets". The best we can do is give them a stable home and work to coexist with them. Bobber is in a safe home and getting better care than he probably ever has. Sometimes, it's not possible to coexist with certain birds. Personally, I think he will keep the same behaviors in a new home. Perhaps a home with a different set up would be better. No one really knows. Seems like Mizzely is doing everything she can to try to work with Bobber, the majority of owners would have given up on him a long time ago. So hopefully you can work through that Quaker hormone cloud and come to a somewhat peaceful existence . Believe me, Jasper has been dive bombing me all morning! I can't walk near him without being hissed at. Doesn't mean he's unhappy! Ever seen Quakers in the wild defending their nests? I have...they are fierce!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The last time he was at the rescue, he went to a new home for 3 months before he was returned. Then he was at the rescue for another 6 months before I was ready to try after losing Koopa. She's a big bird rescue and isn't as well equipped to cater to small birds.

As I've said, I will consider it if it's in his best interest, but I cannot and will not make that decision during hormones. That's not fair to anyone but especially not Bobber.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
@CrazyBirdChick Im very sorry, do you think your post went a little far? I too want to support Mizzely.... I went back and read Shinobi's post and the first time through I thought he was saying HE kept the bird on a patio with no interaction.....second reading I see he meant before he got her, she was isolated on a patio. Maybe that is what you thought too?
Yes, maybe it was a little too far because I was angry in the moment but I do not agree with giving a bird that has grown to trust you away just because solving it's issues are not as easy as working with it for a few months.

I am sorry I acted like a child in my last post. I totally agree with @Ribbit21 though. 100%

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:hug4: to you and your flock, birds and humans alike

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
, maybe it was a little too far because I was angry in the moment but I do not agree with giving a bird that has grown to trust you away just because solving it's issues are not as easy as working with it for a few months.
You have just as much right to express and share your views as everyone else on here. No need to apologize...

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo just came in the kitchen and bit my face and then tried to bite my scalp. Yay quaker hormones!