• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I have been working with Bobber more so he enjoys living with us more, but now I have a NEW problem. He is content to sit on the back of the couch or on his swing or on/in his cage in the living room, without screaming. He begs for food from me, etc.

But as soon as my husband comes home, who he weirdly seems to actually love as he gets super excited about, he bites the snot out of him. He will be fine for about 20 minutes, and then seeks him out like a missile and attacks his arms, neck, head, etc. I put him back in the dining room, where he proceeds to scream, regardless of Jingo is in there or not.

So basically I am now dealing with constant screaming or with biting. So my mental health or Josh's physical.

I am so frustrated you guys :( We've been trying to integrate Bobber into our lives for 2.5 years and every time it seems we are getting closer, it feels like we take huge steps back.

I just don't know if he is even happy here which doesn't help anything. I don't know how to balance my frustrations and his well being anymore.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You poor guys; how disheartening! I have zero advice, only hugs. :sadhug2: I hope there is an equitable solution in your near future. :(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He will be fine for about 20 minutes,
Perhaps only allow interactions for 20 minutes? :D

No but for a while Bobber isn't allowed to be on your husband at all. Your husband can interact with him, but more from distance and more in a natural way. Saying Hi to him when he comes home and give him some treats. But no shoulder time, and no touching like it was before.
The hormonal period is right know so I'm sure that this soon will pass.
Bobber sees your husband as a partner, that you must change, so therefor, no interactions as they have today
I don't know how to balance my frustrations and his well being anymore.
:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:
I know this is difficult to hear, and also difficult for me to say. But perhaps he never will fit in your flock?
If you are continued to having problems and you think that all this is to much perhaps you can ask a friends to have him for 2 weeks and sees how it goes.
Sometimes distance is the best way to find the right solution.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Lennerds also been extremely aggressive toward me lately. I'm basically having two teach him gentle beak touches again :/ I wear long sleeve shirts and bandanas around my neck to keep him from attacking. I also have a toy he likes that I've been using to redirect his behavior. Knock on wood we have been bite free for 3 days but anytime I even think he is about to get nippy I make him go back to his playstand.

Whats worse is Uchtred is not happy about his behavior either. Anytime he goes after me she immediately chase's him away and tries to murder him, I had to pull her off him the last time. I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons he has been acting better? I appreciate Uchtred trying to protect me but I don't want either of them to get hurt or it to become a habit.

Freaking fids :dead: lil nippy feathered bipolar dinosaurs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Perhaps only allow interactions for 20 minutes? :D

No but for a while Bobber isn't allowed to be on your husband at all. Your husband can interact with him, but more from distance and more in a natural way. Saying Hi to him when he comes home and give him some treats. But no shoulder time, and no touching like it was before.
Bobber sees your husband as a partner, that you must change, so therefor, no interactions as they have today

:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:
I know this is difficult to hear, and also difficult for me to say. But perhaps he never will fit in your flock?
If you are continued to having problems and you think that all this is to much perhaps you can ask a friends to have him for 2 weeks and sees how it goes.
Sometimes distance is the best way to find the right solution.

He is barely paying attention to Bobber, which maybe that's part of it? He gets no shoulder time, and we only have him step up onto a perch. We'll be all on the couch, and all will be fine, then suddenly Bobber rushes over to Josh and bites him without us even looking at him. You're right though that hormones don't help anything. I also have no idea how old he is.

I have considered that my home might not be his forever one. But I also always worry that I'm not doing everything I can, regardless if that's correct or not. I always think I can do better :(

Regardless, I think during hormones is not a right time to discuss that option. If my behavior was based only on my hormonal periods, Josh would have thrown me out years ago :lol:

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Regardless, I think during hormones is not a right time to discuss that option. If mu behavior was based only on my hormonal periods, Josh would have thrown me out years ago :lol:
Absolutely fair assessment :roflmao:

I find May to be the worst month for Wally; if it's not backing her vent on my knuckles, it's the chewing, biting, pinching. Have you tried giving Bobber more baths or regulating how much light exposure s/he gets? Both have been helpful for Wally who is female.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Absolutely fair assessment :roflmao:

I find May to be the worst month for Wally; if it's not backing her vent on my knuckles, it's the chewing, biting, pinching. Have you tried giving Bobber more baths or regulating how much light exposure s/he gets? Both have been helpful for Wally who is female.

He's DNAd male :) He does not care for baths lol. He will let me mist him about once a week and enjoys that. Should I do less light or more? Right now they are getting 10 to 12 hours of light.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I believe it's usually recommended to do less light during hormonal periods, so if he's getting 10-12, maybe try 12-14?

Sorry about the situation, that's really rough. :sadhug2:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He need at least 12 hrs of sleep in a dark and silent room. Perhaps giving him some more hrs in a period but not more then 14 hrs.
You can also try to give him less protein. (no egg, and no egg food at all) (but I think you already know this)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't have any experience with a Male Quaker so not sure if it's different. But I make sure its pitch dark for Wally, or else shes calling for me to get her the minute the sunrise hits her room.

Also, I find Wally will come over and bite me if I'm not giving her my undivided attention. This usually means I need to engage her in immediate games and whatnot before she calms down. We usually play fetch (or course I'm the one who does the fetching) or she does a few flights around the house or I will let her chase me in a closed room.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
That's the only thing I can think of.........hopefully this behavior will pass later in the season. I am NOT experienced enough to know what to say, but I totally understand your frustration and hope you can get through this and help this little guy feel happy and settled in.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
if it's not backing her vent on my knuckles, it's the chewing, biting, pinching
Same thing going on here.

When Blu gets to be too much I shoo him away with the blue scary pillow. I never touch him with it. Just shoo him away. He has no hard feelings about it either. Goes straight to his food, eats a couple bites, and either acts nice or tries again. Lol.

I'm sorry you guys are having a hard time with him. :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They are currently getting 12 to 14 of dark depending on their mood (sometimes they want to be in bed by 6, others by 8)

I'll have Josh try to engage him before it gets to bitey levels, and then a trip to the cage to settle down before he gets over excited.. If Josh tries to shoo him away, he simply flies around the scary thing and bites his head or neck.

Totally unlike Jingo. Jingo never nips for attention, and when he is shooed he stays shooed :lol:

Bobber did attack me the other day too for accidentally bumping his favorite swing, so that was relocated because he was nesty with it. But generally he keeps a wide berth from me unless I have food.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
But as soon as my husband comes home, who he weirdly seems to actually love as he gets super excited about, he bites the snot out of him. He will be fine for about 20 minutes, and then seeks him out like a missile and attacks his arms, neck, head, etc. I put him back in the dining room, where he proceeds to scream, regardless of Jingo is in there or not.
Try to break the cycle for the time being, by putting bobber back in his cage before your husband gets home for a while until this hormonal thing passes. A few weeks of switching up the routine my be all you need to get back the control. Bobber is the one in control right now.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Try to break the cycle for the time being, by putting bobber back in his cage before your husband gets home for a while until this hormonal thing passes. A few weeks of switching up the routine my be all you need to get back the control. Bobber is the one in control right now.
Just saying if Bobber were my bird , I won't tolerate that dominance :cautious:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

All I've BEEN doing is switching up routine to combat the screaming. Before this he stayed in the dining room all day every day :/ I will definitely put him back in the cage when Josh gets home or shortly after, but besides turning the cage upside down I really can't change routine anymore than I have :(

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
All I've BEEN doing is switching up routine to combat the screaming. Before this he stayed in the dining room all day every day :/ I will definitely put him back in the cage when Josh gets home or shortly after, but besides turning the cage upside down I really can't change routine anymore than I have :(

Just put him back... I'd be dammed if I'd allow a bird to terrorize me and my family ...If he were my bird :meh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just put him back... I'd be dammed if I'd allow a bird to terrorize me and my family ...If he were my bird :meh:

Part of the problem is once he's back in he screams every 2 to 6 seconds the entire time. So he's "terrorizing" us regardless. The screams trigger my anxiety so I'm at a near panic attack the whole time he is caged. If it was as simple as him being in the cage until hormones pass, it would be one thing. But its not. :(