• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know what target training is. He won't even gently touch a spoon with food on it. A stick makes him go flying or he attacks it. There hasn't been a middle ground for that in 2.5 years. :(

I don't have a problem getting him in his cage. But he CANNOT be allowed to attack my husband, so I'm not sure what else to do when he bites him and then keeps coming back for more UNLESS he is caged.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Does he go after your child ? I would be worried about him hurting your child.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Does he go after your child ? I would be worried about him hurting your child.

No he does not. He keeps his distance from my son thankfully. Jingo bit him enough as a toddler (he bit his fingers to make him drop his food so he could steal it :( ) that he doesn't try to touch or interact with the birds at all.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

No he does not. He keeps his distance from my son thankfully. Jingo bit him enough as a toddler (he bit his fingers to make him drop his food so he could steal it :( ) that he doesn't try to touch or interact with the birds at all.

Thank goodness for that. Oh poor baby, boy- o- boy. Jingo has some very complex behavior issues, I wonder if you have in your area a Avian Behaviorist that you could get in touch with. Possibly they could show you how to handle it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank goodness for that. Oh poor baby, boy- o- boy. Jingo has some very complex behavior issues, I wonder if you have in your area a Avian Behaviorist that you could get in touch with. Possibly they could show you how to handle it.

Oh no I got that taken care of really quick by sending him to my mother in laws house for a few months. Jingo is fairly well behaved now, and only steals food he finds left out :lol: He only dive bombs me during the spring a few times and then we resume our harmony. Jingo is my bud!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I see , so for some crazy reason that only Jingo knows why, he decided to go after your husband recently. Hopefully this will pass very soon for your sanity sake and your husband's flesh.
:sadhug2:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hubby is putting out bad energy. Knowingly/unknowingly. Bobber is a spark plug. Fire and water. :)

Find someone (who understands) and let him start over?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Closest Avian behaviorist is by Chicago, which is 4 hours away from me.

Jingo isn't the problem. Jingo I've had since a baby and yes he's had his own issues but we've worked through them. Bobber is the one that's attacking my husband.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Closest Avian behaviorist is by Chicago, which is 4 hours away from me.

Jingo isn't the problem. Jingo I've had since a baby and yes he's had his own issues but we've worked through them. Bobber is the one that's attacking my husband.

Sorry I edited. I meant Bobber

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hubby is putting out bad energy. Knowingly/unknowingly. Bobber is a spark plug. Fire and water. :)

Find someone (who understands) and let him start over?

He literally sits down on the couch and that's it :(

If I go that route he goes back to the rescue. For at least the 2nd time :( And I can't make that decision in hormone time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

He literally sits down on the couch and that's it :(

If I go that route he goes back to the rescue. For at least the 2nd time :(

Oh. That doesn’t HAVE to be the case.

Now that you mention couch. I have not sat on Tika‘s couch with Tika on it since the day he arrived because that’s just stupid and suicide. He owns that couch.

An experiment. Don’t sit on the couch. Sit in a different or new chair and or move that couch.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh. That doesn’t HAVE to be the case.

Now that you mention couch. I have not sat on Tika‘s couch with Tika on it since the day he arrived because that’s just stupid and suicide. He owns that couch.

An experiment. Don’t sit on the couch. Sit in a different or new chair and or move that couch.

We literally just rearranged the entire living room this weekend so that we could roll out Bobber's cage into the living room so he could hang out with us. We bought a new couch last year. We don't have another chair besides straight back wooden dining room chairs.

If he's in the living room on the couch with me, no issues.

If he's in the living room on any other surface, he screams.

If he's in the living room in his cage he screams.

If he's in any other room, caged or not caged , he screams.

If he's not in a cage in the living room when Josh is home, as soon as Josh sits down on the couch, within 5 mins he will fly over and attack him.

He will also attack him if he gets up from the couch. Or tries to leave the room.

So literally screaming or biting right now unless I'm the only one home and he's on the couch. I don't think Josh will accept not sitting on the only soft surface in the house besides a bed as a compromise unfortunately :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There’s that rock and a hard place again. :)

The couch keeps coming back as the source of “issues”.

I have a very comfortable (reclining) office chair on wheels in the bird cave. Moving target so to speak. :lol:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Well Jingo just tried to mate with me the first time ever so clearly hormones are in play here :lol:
And the couch is his love/mating nest...you're husband is precieved as potential threat to his mate...you ? Bobber has displaced mating instincts. How could that be subdued. Other than this too shall pass approach.?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
And the couch is his love/mating nest...you're husband is precieved as potential threat to his mate...you ? Bobber has displaced mating instincts. How could that be subdued. Other than this too shall pass approach.?

Jingo tried to mate with me in the dining room because I had coffee :p Bobber tolerates me; I'm not sure he would see me as a mate at all to be honest!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So today, Bobber is out of his cage and staying on the playtop with a toy he's very protective of. Put a perch Bobber is afraid of on the couch back to discourage him from landing there!

A hour in. So far so screaming, no biting. So hopefully I didn't jinx it!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Jingo tried to mate with me in the dining room because I had coffee :p Bobber tolerates me; I'm not sure he would see me as a mate at all to be honest!

Oh geez, lots of dynamics going on in your flock, I 'm impressed with your fortitude to carry on and see this through. I do hope things will change for the best, and Bobber will settle down very soon.