• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

Part of the problem is once he's back in he screams every 2 to 6 seconds the entire time. So he's "terrorizing" us regardless. The screams trigger my anxiety so I'm at a near panic attack the whole time he is caged. If it was as simple as him being in the cage until hormones pass, it would be one thing. But its not. :(

Oh man so sorry what a predicament . Maybe a vet could give him something like a birdie Prozac :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh man so sorry what a predicament . Maybe a vet could give him something like a birdie Prozac :(

They are both due for a checkup. So I'll look into it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Some kids................. I mean birds are just rotten. He's got a very strong wild spirit.

Your environment is not the best situation (because it is what it is) because there's no way for you set up an environment that you can "separate" humans and birds for everybody's sanity. You all live together all the time which is the desire but does not work for all birds.

There's no harm in finding someone else to take him in. We know you'd do right by him. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He's just all around confusing. I can't tell if he WANTS a human friend or not. I'm not even convinced he wants a bird friend :( Jingo and him showed promise at the beginning but now they just ignore each other or fight.

I don't even need him to be my friend, I just need him to not be my enemy. I was fine when he ignored all of us and was in his own world but, was he? I don't know the answer.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet. Hormones aside, we've only been dealing with the screaming issues for about 4 or 5 months and biting for about a month. I owe him more time to try.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Whats worse is Uchtred is not happy about his behavior either. Anytime he goes after me she immediately chase's him away and tries to murder him, I had to pull her off him the last time. I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons he has been acting better?

Don't mess with Mama!!!
WS083-Momma-Bear.png

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Just spit balling, if you changed a bunch of stuff recently, could Bobber be upset with all the changes? I noticed at the clinic this past Sat, they moved some stuff around and the only bird that seemed to be effected was Fast Freddie. He was really cranky, out of sorts. His cage use to be nearer the windows, now he is on the back wall.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just spit balling, if you changed a bunch of stuff recently, could Bobber be upset with all the changes? I noticed at the clinic this past Sat, they moved some stuff around and the only bird that seemed to be effected was Fast Freddie. He was really cranky, out of sorts. His cage use to be nearer the windows, now he is on the back wall.

It is definitely possible. He is usually pretty used to my changes, though. I tend to change up everything 3-6 months anyways.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Gabapentin...worked wonders for Tuck.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
This behaviour can be stemming from hormones and sexual frustration. He seems to be focus on your husband.

Because your husband isn't returning the same feelings. He becomes frustrated and starts to bite.

There are many reasons for screaming. I believe that this is not from hormones or sexual frustration. It could be as simple as the cage isn't in a good position. The bird should have a good view of what is happening in their environment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe he's not feeling well or in pain :huh:

Then why would he only attack my husband and only scream when in another room or caged?

This behaviour can be stemming from hormones and sexual frustration. He seems to be focus on your husband.

Because your husband isn't returning the same feelings. He becomes frustrated and starts to bite.

There are many reasons for screaming. I believe that this is not from hormones or sexual frustration. It could be as simple as the cage isn't in a good position. The bird should have a good view of what is happening in their environment.

He has a view of everything. He can see us unless we are sleeping or peeing, or if we put curtains up in the doorways to keep them corralled in the dining room. He actually screamed almost not at all when they were housed in the basement (heated, etc) or a same level bird room at my old house. Neither of those are options now unfortunately. It has been going on longer than hormone season so I also don't think the screaming is hormone related.

I am no stranger to the screaming. I dealt with a good 2 year stint of Jingo screaming. I have another thread about Bobber's. Bobber Contact Calls; Jingo won't answer | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I do think the biting is hormone related. Josh doesn't really interact with the birds unfortunately so it's harder. I think for now I'll just cage him when Josh gets home so he can still stay out in the living room with us for the evening as he is less likely to scream that way

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need a new place. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You need a new place. :)

It took me so long to get this one :( I'm already over my comfort level for rent and its seriously hard to find rentals that take cats for under $800/month. For the kind of place I'd need I'm looking at $1000/month for a 3 bedroom anything with cats, and that's over what my husband makes in 2 weeks even with overtime.

Northern Michigan has high rent and low wages, sadly :(

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Yes John
It's quite possible that the bird doesn't like the new house.

Mizzely does Bobber scream when Josh is present or when he's absence?

I don't believe in the theory of domination in parrots and would only consider medication as an last option.

I would look for other options in an attempt to solve the problems.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Target training can help with the biting issue.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm just seeing this now. I don't know if you saw my Elvis biting the fiancé thread but this is similar to what Elvis was doing- the out of the blue biting. At least in Elvis's case, I think it was a combination of wanting Howie's attention and hormones. And whenever he saw Howie, he would scream and scream for him. If he was with him, he'd be happy for a bit and then bite him. I put Elvis on Avicalm. I think it may have been starting to work. But Elvis is now at @cassiesdad's so I can't say for sure whether it was making a difference. I talked to a ton of people about what to do. Have you tried any type of target training with Bobber? That was one thing that was suggested to me. To get a T-stand and start teaching Elvis that when Howie was in the room he had to stay on the T-stand. And do it in 5-10 minute increments. I hadn't started it yet because I knew Elvis was going to be going to Bob's soon but it was something I was going to try. I sympathize with your situation. It's tough not knowing what to do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes John
It's quite possible that the bird doesn't like the new house.

Mizzely does Bobber scream when Josh is present or when he's absence?

I don't believe in the theory of domination in parrots and would only consider medication as an last option.

I would look for other options in an attempt to solve the problems.

He screams regardless. Doesn't seem to matter. He just dances for Josh when he walks in and is the only one he shows any interest in. We've been here since September and it was just since about January that the screaming started at a fever pitch. Every 2 to 6 seconds.

I have been looking at solutions. Everyday because my sanity depends on it. I can't live in a near panic attack all day everyday. I work at creating harmony between everyone in my house all day. Trust me. I don't give up easily.

Target training can help with the biting issue.

I can get him to go home but he's resistant to training :( I'll try harder.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Maybe he's picking up on your anxious energy? I hope that doesn't come across as offensive. I know you are an amazing pet owner