• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Gah! Don’t you just love it?!! I feel like I need to walk around with a helmet. I’ve been resorting to bribery and big bowls of distracting snacks.

Seriously lol. 2 days ago he was trying to mate with me and now I'm the enemy. I am not at all above bribery!!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey has been like that for a week now...:faint:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I feel like I need to walk around with a helmet.
I googled "Quaker helmet" and got this... :coffeescreen: Not sure if Bobber will become more or less amorous with you if you had this on your head :hehe:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
This is going to sound awful but thank goodness I’m not the only one enduring hormonal season! It’s getting to where I can’t wait for everyone to go in their cages. :wideyed:
Joey is out to get me with a vengeance. I have managed to get away with a few minor puncture bites. :hehe:
I use the t-stick to transport him and engage him in getting him to dance and do some tricks.
Stay safe everyone.:leslieatwork:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
You have just as much right to express and share your views as everyone else on here. No need to apologize...

CrazyBirdChick didn't express an opinion or view. She mis-read my post and then chose to name call and insult.

But at least she apologised.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So far today, no bites, no obnoxious screaming. Bobber is happily chewing on some toys and Jingo is guarding my coffee mug (his favorite activity).

This is day 4 of Bobber being good. Day 1 for Jingo :lol:

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Good job, Bobber! :laughing12: Hopefully Jingo doesnt feel thats its his responsibility to fill that void now... ;)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry but "replace the couch or Bobber" is not a solution. I don't have money just laying around to order new furniture all the time, and of course I'm not choosing a couch OVER Bobber by saying I can't remove it.
When we got a king bed I kept our queen sheets because the fitted sheets fit perfectly over the dogs' loveseat. Would putting different colors/patterns of sheets over the sofa as a slipcover help, too?

Am I a terrible bird trainer? Sure. I train what I need them to know, like Go Home, and I let them be birds after that. Maybe I give them too much freedom, I don't know. I haven't trained Bobber because he doesn't like it, and it stresses him out. Is he impossible to train? I doubt it; I just haven't wanted to push him because I respect him in ways that I am sure previous owners haven't.

The kind of life I want for Bobber? Stable. I want a home for him that loves him even if he doesn't love them back. I want someplace he has access to healthy food and clean water. I want him to have a home where he can be out for most of the day. I don't want him passed around from home to home just because he isn't easy. That's what I want for him.

So to rehome him, now, just because of a behavior change that I am still working with, in the middle of spring when hormones are raging? To pawn it off on someone else at the worst possible time? No, I won't do that. Will I consider rehoming him if it's best for everyone but especially Bobber? Of course. But we aren't there yet.
:cheer: Way to go! I admire your resolve.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When we got a king bed I kept our queen sheets because the fitted sheets fit perfectly over the dogs' loveseat. Would putting different colors/patterns of sheets over the sofa as a slipcover help, too?

:cheer:

I'll check! I've been wanting to get one for at least the back of the couch because of the bird poop anyways :)

Bobber spent most of his day chewing on a hanging playgym in the living room, away from his cage (which was still in the dining room). He never plays with toys away from his cage. So win for us!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

:cheer: Way to go! I admire your resolve.
That is a great idea and an easier solution that replacing the couch, the bird, the spouse, the TV..... oops sorry.

I don't' know how you have handled 5 months of screaming, @Mizzely . you deserve an award.

And I know someone said to avoid 'fear' inducing things but I tell you what, I'd put something at least a little scary (or something that at least makes them think twice) on that couch, or on the back of it!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is a great idea and an easier solution that replacing the couch, the bird, the spouse, the TV..... oops sorry.

I don't' know how you have handled 5 months of screaming, @Mizzely . you deserve an award.

And I know someone said to avoid 'fear' inducing things but I tell you what, I'd put something at least a little scary (or something that at least makes them think twice) on that couch, or on the back of it!

That's what we're doing currently. Those draft blockers for the door work great I'm finding

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'd put something at least a little scary (or something that at least makes them think twice) on that couch, or on the back of it!
Good idea. :chin: If I needed to keep Buzzard away from something I could keep him away with raw veggies because they are still the devil, evidently, and to be avoided at all cost. :meh: