• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unprovoked Biting (Bobber)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Maybe he's picking up on your anxious energy? I hope that doesn't come across as offensive. I know you are an amazing pet owner

I'm sure that is the catch 22 I'm now in. He screams because I'm anxious and I'm anxious because he screams :/

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It took me so long to get this one :( I'm already over my comfort level for rent and its seriously hard to find rentals that take cats for under $800/month. For the kind of place I'd need I'm looking at $1000/month for a 3 bedroom anything with cats, and that's over what my husband makes in 2 weeks even with overtime.

Northern Michigan has high rent and low wages, sadly :(

I understand the struggle all too well. We get between this rock and that hard place and we get stuck. A very hard place to get out of. It hurts to see you in the struggle. Life certainly chooses its favourites and who it hands the luck out to.

All I ask is for one winning lottery ticket and I’d fix everything. :hug8:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
You mention that Bobber started to scream from around January.

Did something change in Bobber environment at that time

It can insignificant to you, but something really big to Bobber.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You mention that Bobber started to scream from around January.

Did something change in Bobber environment at that time

It can insignificant to you, but something really big to Bobber.

Not that I am aware of. The only changes we've had are bringing the rats home and me staying home full time, both of which occurred in February. It has definitely been going on since before then.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will definitely put him back in the cage when Josh gets home or shortly after,
Try to break the cycle for the time being, by putting bobber back in his cage before your husband gets home
Agree. Should be done before he gets home and not after. If you put him back after that would be a negative thing and I don't believe in negative reinforcement.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Agree. Should be done before he gets home and not after. If you put him back after that would be a negative thing and I don't believe in negative reinforcement.

I did put him in before he walked in the door today :) No bites, and then I've just been wearing ear plugs

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the bird still screaming?

Yes, if he's caged or anywhere except the back of the couch he screams. Josh is home Friday thru Sunday and flew to bite him as soon as he got out this morning. :(

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Is it possible that he is getting frustrated because he wants to mate with Josh?

Blu has been taking chunks out of my hands for about a week now because he can't have his way with them :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Is it possible that he is getting frustrated because he wants to mate with Josh?

Blu has been taking chunks out of my hands for about a week now because he can't have his way with them :(

I have no idea. He's ignored Josh completely for 2.5 years and only in the last month has been attacking him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Can you keep the the cage behind the couch?

I tried that today, as I've wheeling his cage out to the living room to try different things, and he still screams if he is caged and if he isn't caged he goes to the couch to bite Josh

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

I tried that today, as I've wheeling his cage out to the living room to try different things, and he still screams if he is caged and if he isn't caged he goes to the couch to bite Josh

Oy Vey...:facepalm: Geeezzz. I hope whatever is going inside his little birdie brain, he cuts you some slack very soon.

:faint:

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Putting him in a cage is only going to make the screaming worse. I would look at target training and pressure bite training.

Both of you need to do the training, one of you in the morning and the other in the evening.

Mizzely
You should do the morning session. If you can do it out of the cage that probably be better.

Josh
He should the evening session and do the target training with Bobber in the cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Putting him in a cage is only going to make the screaming worse. I would look at target training and pressure bite training.

Both of you need to do the training, one of you in the morning and the other in the evening.

Mizzely
You should do the morning session. If you can do it out of the cage that probably be better.

Josh
He should the evening session and do the target training with Bobber in the cage.

What on earth is pressure bite training?

He screams inside or outside the cage. He usually is out sun up to sundown except this last month when he's only been caged to protect my husband.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think its needs to be understood too that Bobber has never really been a "pet." He is trained to go home because he is cage protective like a Quaker is, and I used that against him to make it happen. Otherwise, he is afraid of hands, perches, towels, arms, etc. He does not step up, on anything. Any attempts send him flying. I can give him treats but they must extend past my fingers or he will bite me. I can feed him food on a spoon, but he will attack the spoon before trying the food (if it doesn't go flying). He is not lured by food even a few inches. He will only take food if you come to him.

He doesn't nip. He bites and grinds.

Our harmony has been to allow him freedom to be in or out of his cage, lots of food options, several options for outside cage perching, and allowing him to be a bird. I have not pushed myself on him because I've had very little signal from him that he WANTS a human friend.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
A parrot that is uncomfortable interacting with people can be taught to touch a target stick while it remains securely inside its cage. This can be the beginning of a great relationship that can lead to future hands-on contact. It also provides an opportunity for in-cage exercise.

Target training is an important behaviour reinforcer/modifier for all companion parrots. With targeting we can guide parrots to move in ways that protect, manage and enrich their lives without force or coercion of any kind.

Training parrots to target a stick or other object with their beaks is a great learning goal because it gives us a hands-off way to guide their movements. It also gives us the opportunity to enrich our pet bird lives with fun activities and lots of positive reinforcement.

When your bird touches the stick gently, you give a treat and say gentle, this will reinforce that behaviour. When your bird grabs the stick, you ignore this behaviour and don’t give a treat, therefore no reinforcement is made. The behaviour of grabbing the stick will decrease in favour of gently touching the stick.

Target training allows us to build a positive relationship first, before we ask for more than some birds can comfortably give. Targeting is the behaviour of touching a designated object, the target with a designated body part, like a beak.

If you need to go back to an easier, step, don’t hesitate to do so and then slowly raise your criterion for reinforcement again. Sometimes you will have to back to go forward. The idea is to have fun learning together.

Where the Beak Goes, The Body Will Follow

Last - but not least - don't EVER punish your bird by placing him or her back into the cage. A cage should be a place he or she WANTS to be in; with toys for entertainment and good food and clean water. Once your bird views the cage as a place of punishment, it will naturally fight you whenever you want him or her back in their cage.