• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What strange mutation is this???

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Me too! But I'd also like to have a plain sky blue one day - the original mutation! :laugh:
I've got that one :D I think the only other colour I'd like one day is a Clearflight Amethyst (Unless we're being unrealistic then I want a black faced!), but the last I looked the Amethysts weren't going to be widely available for another few years (especially to non-breeders).

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never chosen by colour, but the first budgie I saw in person & loved was someone else's & was sky blue!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Well, if anyone needs birds freighted, I am experienced and can send multiple pics and consult on the interstate shipping process. I've done it with bigger birds. But hey, no wild type here as she has no greens... but a plain blue is a possibility! Hell, an Apollo whiteface blue may be available next year!
And.... speaking of, I have a new Apollo feather for you. With 9 or 11 terminals... I can't count them all!
Every moulted feather is different. I'm amazed his feathers look so uniform in situ. When they are shed, every one is unique!

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I've never chosen by colour, but the first budgie I saw in person & loved was someone else's & was sky blue!
I really love rainbow spangles, so this was the first time I've chosen by colour, well, colour and genetics for the hen. When I saw Apollo and realised he wasn't just covered in pin feathers, I had to have him. He is such a wildly iridescent teal, too. It's a lot of fun watching them bonding.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Interesting to read. You seem to have a very special bird. I wonder what he'll produce :wideyed:
I'm pretty excited to see! No idea whether the odd mutation will be passed down.
I'm impatient for the next breeding season though lol! Fingers crossed we get some more Apollo's!
Have you a bird or 3 yourself @throw away ? If so, I'm sure we'd all love some pics!

throw away

Moving in
@HemlokHex None yet, I'm still living with family and they wouldn't tolerate the noise one bit. I hope that when I move out and get myself settled I'll be able to get one or few. I'm really into the little guys (parakeets, parrotlets). The largest I'm interested in and may get is a green cheek conure.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
@HemlokHex None yet, I'm still living with family and they wouldn't tolerate the noise one bit. I hope that when I move out and get myself settled I'll be able to get one or few. I'm really into the little guys (parakeets, parrotlets). The largest I'm interested in and may get is a green cheek conure.
Awww nice ! My GCC was the quietest bird ever! Make sure you buy from a breeder who handraises, and they are super quiet if you don't reward any noisy behaviors.
Budgies sing a bit, males trill and will learn to talk, and females chirp, but they aren't terribly loud. My GCC was the quietest bird ever. He never screeched, mainly talked quietly, or did his whistle contact call (where is my hooman?).
Good on you for doing lots of research before you get your bird ❤❤❤

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
More weird feathers. Not sure if the one on right is damaged or naturally like that. Found a few standard feathers, too, so not all his feathers are weird, but roughly 90pc are. His down feathers appear completely normal.

Attachments

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Whatever it is... it's beautiful!

Oh, and...

1664946612650.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Has this bird seen a vet?

I don´t see this as a desirable mutation so I don´t understand why anyone would want to breed to acheive more birds like this?

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if the tail feather end is worn or if it grows like that. Is that tail feather new? It looks ragged, like right before a moult in a young bird, only more so. If it’s not, I’m not sure this is a mutation. Could it possibly be dietary? I like how crisp my budgies’ tail feathers are.

At first, I thought we were discussing colour in this thread. Now, I realize it’s actual feather structure. I’m not sure changing what’s functional is a great idea. I see Zara’s concerns.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Not yet seen a vet. I need to take all mine for a baseline health check soon.. Not sure if the vee feathers are worn or just that way. A few more strange feather pics attached.
I love the odd body feathers. I'd prefer tailfeathers with tips, though.... I was documenting it here for posterity.
As far as I'm aware, the other 2 with this mutation have no health problems and are 4 and 5yrs old.

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Breeder replied that some of her fallows have vee tails, and his grandfather is fallow, so maybe that's where it comes from.
The tips of his feathers are what is affected due to his mutation, so I tend to think the tail vees are not worn feathers.
As much as I understand @Zara and @Sparkles99 concerns re health, Apollo is a completely normal budgie in all other respects.... very outgoing, playful, talkative and healthy. He shows zero health issues and no slow development.
If breeders didn't take a punt on breeding oddities, we wouldn't have crested budgies, helicopters (not my cup of tea, but is a feather mutation), or even blue series and all the wonders of the budgieverse. Sadly, we have feather dusters..... and if my bird showed any health issues, of course I wouldn't consider breeding.
I personally love his weird mutation, and if I can get healthy babies displaying it, I will be ecstatic. He is the most beautiful budgie, his feathers are iridescent and the mutation gives him a strange texture which is mesmerizing.
Of course if he starts to display any health effects, I wouldn't breed, and if any babies end up with issues, I wouldn't continue.
If breeders don't take a punt on new and interesting mutations in otherwise healthy birds, then we would all have small, darling wild green types.
The diversity of budgie colours and types is AMAZING, and I hope to add to that.
I appreciate everyone's concerns.
I am simply documenting his feathers here for posterity, and I appreciate the thought-provoking comments and debate ❤❤❤

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
When you do your veterinarian check up do have tested for PBFD . To be safe. As budgies can react differently with this virus , often never losing feathers or only lose tail , can be a chronic hidden infection in breeding colonies .
So I would want to be sure.

Hopefully all fine and you can enjoy and celebrate this feather difference.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
When you do your veterinarian check up do have tested for PBFD . To be safe. As budgies can react differently with this virus , often never losing feathers or only lose tail , can be a chronic hidden infection in breeding colonies .
So I would want to be sure.

Hopefully all fine and you can enjoy and celebrate this feather difference.
Cheers. Yes, I will definitely get a blood test done, and likely a genetic profile at some point.
As far as PBFD, never heard of it affecting actual feather development, but definitely better safe than sorry.
The fact 2 other birds in the colony he came from have this mutation to a slightly lesser degree (like the final pic, the rump feathers only, not full body), and are completely healthy and a few years older, tends to rule out PBFD, but that's definitely a good point you make, and I will get him tested!
Thanks for that suggestion, Pixie!