• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What strange mutation is this???

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I see that Aussiebird has already been by - AB is a go to for mutations. :)
Yeah, I've been around :) Am curious as to what it is. As mentioned it looks a lot like the pins my Obsidian (and sometime Snowflake) get, but as said not pins.
I wonder if it's a feather mutation in itself, not a colour, or if it's similar to what causes a Blackfaced. Just me with my very active imagination over here :D
Maybe @Budgiebonkers ?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
To me all the little dark speckle tip feathers sure look like the remains of pins...and in the chest and in the purple cheeck patch ...Google gives tons of examples of this, just ask black tips on budgies head or feathers..time will tell
As far as the color and pattern of other feathers, I have no idea on mutation.

Last edited:

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Yeah, look like pins but definitely not! He is 8wo. First lot of plumage. You can see the tips of the longer feathers have the black end (looking like pins) only where the normal barring pattern will be. I'll get a pic of the actual rump feathers separated so you can see the elongated tip. It is very shiny and silky, each bum feather has a 5mm long thin tail. The older 2 adults had a cm tail on each rump feather, but the longer feathers were only on their rump. So, so hard to photograph him with my crap camera ugh
But here is a few with and without flash.

Breeder told me yesterday his grandfather was fallow violet. Dad was sky opaline.

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Yeah, I've been around :) Am curious as to what it is. As mentioned it looks a lot like the pins my Obsidian (and sometime Snowflake) get, but as said not pins.
I wonder if it's a feather mutation in itself, not a colour, or if it's similar to what causes a Blackfaced. Just me with my very active imagination over here :D
Maybe @Budgiebonkers ?
Pretty sure it's a texture/shape feather mutation of some kind. It is very obvious when you look at him. I looked past him initially cos I thought he was covered in pins. Then I went oh.... hang on....
The breeder was like dang it I shoulda kept him!
As for pins, laterally symmetrical pins come through together, but not whole bars at once! I will try get a close up of his feathers.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
To me all the little dark speckle tip feathers sure look like the remains of pins...and in the chest and in the purple cheeck patch ...Google gives tons of examples of this, just ask black tips on budgies head or feathers..time will tell
As far as the color and pattern of other feathers, I have no idea on mutation.
Yeah I have had budgies 40 years. I know a poor porcupine when I see one! :/

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
As for pins, laterally symmetrical pins come through together, but not whole bars at once! I will try get a close up of his feathers
I agree they dont look like pins, if you look at it hard enough, pins just dont grow like that (at least that I've seen).
I would love to see one of his feathers once it molts out :)

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I agree they dont look like pins, if you look at it hard enough, pins just dont grow like that (at least that I've seen).
I would love to see one of his feathers once it molts out :)
Yes, pins stick up and out and he would be incredibly uncomfortable if he had that many!
I don't want to grab him and isolate a feather as I'm taming them and I don't want to lose their trust. I can't wait to see a single feather, either. I saw the bum of one of the adults, and each feather had a cm long, really silky tail.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Whatever the mutation is, your baby is a gorgeous cutie pie :heart: :heart: . Also, do i see an illigers on your shoulder, in your avatar pic? Lucky you! Am searching for a mini Mac for last 2 years.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Whatever the mutation is, your baby is a gorgeous cutie pie :heart: :heart: . Also, do i see an illigers on your shoulder, in your avatar pic? Lucky you! Am searching for a mini Mac for last 2 years.
I have a thing for weird birds. On my shoulder is Wednesday, a hybrid Sun Conure cross Hahn's macaw. I was looking at an illigers too, but my particular breeder told me they can be a little more flighty. She is slowly changing colour to be a bit sunnier. She has these incredible orange shoulder feathers like epaulettes sticking out lol. She does party bookings with me ~ she is a rare gem who will sit on anyone and let most people pat her. She is a wonderful companion. The light of my life.
Some pics for you.
I hope you find your mini. They are a fantastic size.

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
As for other mutations, I suspect sky blue, greywing, opaline, and SF violet and fallow on paternal grandfather's side has been confirmed. His dad was double sky pastel.... incredibly bright colour.
Hey @AussieBird what do you reckon, and can you crunch the progeny possibilities (colour wise) of the pairing with the Goldenface (maybe Y2) blue opaline split spangle I picked him as the partner for?
The breeder was aiming to eventually get fallow rainbows. I said If i get one from these guys, i will gift it back to her.
I'm grateful she sold him. I'm going to try get the other 2 males with this mutation and their pairs as she is talking of retiring.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a thing for weird birds. On my shoulder is Wednesday, a hybrid Sun Conure cross Hahn's macaw. I was looking at an illigers too, but my particular breeder told me they can be a little more flighty. She is slowly changing colour to be a bit sunnier. She has these incredible orange shoulder feathers like epaulettes sticking out lol. She does party bookings with me ~ she is a rare gem who will sit on anyone and let most people pat her. She is a wonderful companion. The light of my life.
Some pics for you.
I hope you find your mini. They are a fantastic size.
Nice bonding :heart:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Once you start mixing mutations I start struggling to identify, it is also been ages since I read up on colours. Also I have basically no breeding experiance, but I'll say what I know.

As for other mutations, I suspect sky blue, greywing, opaline, and SF violet and fallow on paternal grandfather's side has been confirmed. His dad was double sky pastel.... incredibly bright colour.
Sky blue, yep I see that too. Grey wing, not familiar with the mutation but looks like it. Opaline, yeah. Violet and Fallow I can't remember anything about so not sure.

Hey @AussieBird what do you reckon, and can you crunch the progeny possibilities (colour wise) of the pairing with the Goldenface (maybe Y2) blue opaline split spangle I picked him as the partner for?
Again dont really know about about breeding, but being your boy is Opaline and so is your girl, all girl babies will be opaline and some(?) of the boys too. I haven't read about golden face for ages, but if she's y2 I think some babies will be yellow faced??

That is 90% guessing and now my brain hurts :dead:

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Once you start mixing mutations I start struggling to identify, it is also been ages since I read up on colours. Also I have basically no breeding experiance, but I'll say what I know.

Sky blue, yep I see that too. Grey wing, not familiar with the mutation but looks like it. Opaline, yeah. Violet and Fallow I can't remember anything about so not sure.

Again dont really know about about breeding, but being your boy is Opaline and so is your girl, all girl babies will be opaline and some(?) of the boys too. I haven't read about golden face for ages, but if she's y2 I think some babies will be yellow faced??

Lol sorry.
I know there is a breeding number cruncher in this forum somewhere! Clearly not you so sorry to tax your brain.
Spangle throw 50pc spangle usually, too. Re above.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yeah I have had budgies 40 years. I know a poor porcupine when I see one! :/
Lol
Its not a porcupine pin...its hard to explain. But I've seen it in person before so I'm very skeptical of a feather shape mutation.

But hey if its a sexy new feather thing I'm all in for celebrating !

Have yiu named the new additions?
How are they settling in?

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa

The violet and fallow are a couple generations back re breeders records of the line.

Greywing is exactly as it sounds, and the other 2 with the same mutation on their bum feathers were incredibly bright pastel turquoise opaline greywings from memory.

I'm interested to confirm with her if both her others are boys. I think so, and despite the limited sample size, could be sex linked mutation. I'm quite excited we seem to have stumbled on a new feather pattern gene; but as to heritability, it's possibly not readily passed on :/

His siblings from the clutch were normal.
She has another clutch coming from the pair and will let me know if more appear now we have caused a bruhaha about it!

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and insights!❤

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Lol
Its not a porcupine pin...its hard to explain. But I've seen it in person before so I'm very skeptical of a feather shape mutation.

But hey if its a sexy new feather thing I'm all in for celebrating !

Have yiu named the new additions?
How are they settling in?
I'll have to isolate a feather so you can see the lil tails on each one. 'Sexy new feather thing' lol I hope

Yes! This lil Bubby Boi is Apollo and the girl is Persephone. They are rather quiet and Archimedes, the opaline olive rec pied rescue, is very taken with Apollo lol!
Trying to get in his pants. Apollo is eating out of my hand already, I think he will step up tomorrow as he is mad for millet. Persephone is a) Idc b) argh f.off.
So a lil flighty.
I need to weigh everyone and check them in properly in next couple of days.

So glad I got Apollo.... I nearly opted for another goldenface blue, but once I realized he wasn't actually all pinned, and the breeder and I started chasing birds all over the aviary to see their bumfeathers , I went ok that is the bird for me!
He is beautiful and mesmerizing.

Thank you for asking how they are! I gave them a spinach salad tonight. No idea how that was received as I just got back from work!
Pic shows Archimedes in foreground.

Attachments

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I'll have to isolate a feather so you can see the lil tails on each one. 'Sexy new feather thing' lol I hope

Yes! This lil Bubby Boi is Apollo and the girl is Persephone. They are rather quiet and Archimedes, the opaline olive rec pied rescue, is very taken with Apollo lol!
Trying to get in his pants. Apollo is eating out of my hand already, I think he will step up tomorrow as he is mad for millet. Persephone is a) Idc b) argh f.off.
So a lil flighty.
I need to weigh everyone and check them in properly in next couple of days.

So glad I got Apollo.... I nearly opted for another goldenface blue, but once I realized he wasn't actually all pinned, and the breeder and I started chasing birds all over the aviary to see their bumfeathers , I went ok that is the bird for me!
He is beautiful and mesmerizing.

Thank you for asking how they are! I gave them a spinach salad tonight. No idea how that was received as I just got back from work!
Pic shows Archimedes in foreground.
All I can say is you have a really gorgeous little bunch :)

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
All I can say is you have a really gorgeous little bunch :)
Thank you! I am really looking forward to seeing how Apollo matures, and what they produce if I can get them interested in each other. I have to rearrange some cages as the minimacaw lives cageless all over the house, which is a big distraction for a breeding pair having a squawking monster land on your roof, and Archimedes was just starting to talk. I wanted him to teach Apollo to sing as he has the biggest repertoire of any budgie I've ever heard, before I move the 2 loverbirds into their own space. Plenty of time yet. They are wee bubbas.

I'll update this once I get some pics of an individual feather.

Thanks again, folks!