• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What strange mutation is this???

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Hi All!

Yesterday I picked up a pair of babies from a breeder for possible future breeding.
This lil dude seems to have a strange feather texture, like those of lorikeet head feathers. The tip of each feather on his rump and body are elongated, and some head feathers have a black dot on the tip. Nothing I search in mutations mentions this...?!

Of the 500 or so birds in the breeder's aviaries, 2 adults had the same feather texture and colouring (couldn't see if boys or girls but I can ask breeder). Another few thousand she has bred, in 20 years she has bred this 3.

Anyone have any info on this? It's very striking and pretty, I've never seen it before.
This is my first post, thank you all for your help ❤

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Did you get 2 babies to breed with from the same breeder?

@Ripshod might be able to help.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Wow, he is stunning!!
Thanks, Farfah. The adults with the same mutation seemed to have mainly the rump feathers affected, whereas this boy has it all over. He is very striking. His colours should pick up after his first moult. Only had him 24hrs. This is the mate I was choosing a partner for... (see pic). So glad I spotted him. Breeder said omg I didn't realise he was so beautiful. If i wasn't retiring, I'd have kept him.

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
More pics. Thanks, folks.
I want to get to the bottom/?or top of this. Clearly it's not very heritable. His siblings this clutch were normal. Breeder will let me know if future clutches show same mutation.
I can't find ANYTHING in budgie law about this. Am I missing something? Help!!!

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm not sure. But can partly be due to molting and some older worn feathers. I see plenty of pins and its molting season for most of us.

Diet is important in feather quality and richness of color . I hope you offer lots of veggies !

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I'm not sure. But can partly be due to molting and some older worn feathers. I see plenty of pins and its molting season for most of us.

Diet is important in feather quality and richness of color . I hope you offer lots of veggies !
Thanks mate. No pins. They look like pins but are fully formed feathers. Thx for reply!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Lol! Patience young grasshopper! It’s daytime working hours here in the US (I’m on lunch), and evening in Europe…people will respond as soon as they get a chance :)
Yeah I'm in Oz. 3am here nearly (gnight folx!)
Baby is about 8 weeks and no pin feathers. I thought he was covered in pins till I realised they were fully emerged feathers.
I'll get a pic tomorrow of his bum feathers as he is happily eating from my hand now. His rump feathers are spear like.... long tail.
Thanks all for your responses.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Thanks mate. No pins. They look like pins but are fully formed feathers. Thx for reply!
Look at the rump feathers for clarity. Long tail. I'll handle him tomorrow and get a pic of individual feathers. I've had birds for 40 years and these aren't pins. Not one pin on this guy, currently. Though my minimacaw companion bird is covered in em!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
They're beautiful, but beyond my skill. There are obviously multiple mutations involved & they're not the typical combos. The only AAer I know of who could instantaneously tell this is the now retired PoukieBear.

I'm sorry, HemlokHex! Your budgies are drop dead gorgeous (!!!), but their genetics are beyond my skill level. Welcome!

I see that Aussiebird has already been by - AB is a go to for mutations. :)

Edited to add: maybe @Lady Jane will know.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
They're beautiful, but beyond my skill. There are obviously multiple mutations involved & they're not the typical combos. The only AAer I know of who could instantaneously tell this is the now retired PoukieBear.

I'm sorry, HemlokHex! Your budgies are drop dead gorgeous (!!!), but their genetics are beyond my skill level. Welcome!

I see that Aussiebird has already been by - AB is a go to for mutations. :)

Edited to add: maybe @Lady Jane will know.
Thanks, Sparkles. I find nothing on the net anywhere.
This is not molting or pins, this dude is just out of the box a week or 2 ago. This is baby plumage. I'll see if he will let me handle him today (I'm taming them so taking it easy) and get a rump feather.