• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Special Ladies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ladies are so sweet and happy looking.
That's the thing. They're just so sweet. Every time I look at them they look so happy it just lifts my heart. I have never met two females that live together so well. And they sing so much it's like having males. They just spend all their time together, even sharing bathtimes (I know, it's a flock activity anyway). The only time I've heard them bicker it's been just a moment and always over food.
DSC_0154~2.JPG

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
All of the birds here are special...and every once in awhile, a bird will come on to the Avenue that deeply touches our hearts...Holly and Angel are two such souls... :heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Well that worked out wonderfully, didn’t it? They are so darn cute together. :heart: I’m so happy for them that they landed with you!:starshower1:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Holly did not enjoy today. I know for a fact she did not enjoy being handled, she drew blood. Anyways she's had her pedicure and she's had to learn how to hook onto her perches again, but that didn't take too long. But she's okay with me. Normally after being captured by me a budgie would avoid me for a while, but this time after release from the travel cage she sought Angel out to make sure she's okay then came down and settled next to me. No harm done.
One thing we did discuss today is contraception. Of course her pelvis is deformed making egg laying risky, so every October she'll be getting an implant.
Her grip has not improved at all, but as long as it's not an issue (which it isn't) then no intervention.
She's a good ambassador too. In the waiting room she did nothing but sing. The lady sat next to me said she couldn't do it, take on a budgie with serious problems like her. I just explained that it's only a problem if we make it one, and Holly sang some more. The lady melted. Who can say no to such a happy little bird?
DSCPDC_0003_BURST20200113153618064_COVER~2.JPG

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A little more good progress.
I haven't been pushing any training on the girls, Holly is doing enough work learning how to perch in different situations. Rather I've gone a different direction with them by just being around them loads, becoming part of their flock and earning some trust as an equal. And it's paying off.
Holly has always been very wary of me, keeping some distance and watching me like a hawk. Everything had to be on her terms. I have a perch right next to where I sit and watch TV and the girls have been making more and more use of it as the weeks have gone by.
I thought it would be a lot longer getting to this stage with Holly:
DSC_0003_BURST20200117141424008~2.JPG
The real surprise though has been Angel. She has always been at Holly's side, ready to help and defend her if necessary, but today she freely landed on my hand for some millet. I didn't even get it to the perch, she just jumped right on:
DSC_0004_BURST20200117141932425~2.JPG
My camera always has a problem focusing on Angel, I think because of her 'smudged' appearance.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just snoozin'
DSC_0189~2.JPG
I had to, she's such a sweetie.
DSC_0189~3.JPG
The bigger picture, with the guardian Angel.

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I too did the let them sum me up thing w/ Buddy when he 1st came to me. I spent more time singing & eating w/ him than anything else. They need to be able to trust you a little before ANY type of training can even be considered. IMO!

It sound like they are both adjusting nicely. They are way to sweet as floof's! Loving the pics, keep clicking away.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hello girls.

They are beautiful.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Floof 1 & Floof 2! They could be a cute little kids story!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like joy all the way round in your home. You are blesses to have the two beautiful lady birds in your care and they are blessed to be with you.

Have you had any updates on Roger?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Guess I cannot correct misspelled word. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.