• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Suggestions for bird species

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a galah but I am having dificulty finding one for sale or adoption, and was wondering if there was any other species anybody would recommend for me. I am mostly looking for a bird that is playful, and touchable, not necessarily snugly or cuddly but a hands on bird.

I was considering a African grey, but I decided they would probably be too smart for me to keep stimulated. I was also considering a Meyers or Brown Headed parrot but I think they are in general pretty laid back and not as playful as galahs (correct me if I’m wrong).

There are some traits that I can’t accommodate, size is one, I don’t have the space to house a large macaw (and their beak size kind of scares me), the other is noise, I have a gcc and two cockatiels currently and I probably can’t handle anything too much louder than that, my gcc is pretty quiet most of the day but sometimes when he get really excited and screams at a pitch that can really make your ears bleed especially if he is on your shoulder, but in general my cockatiels are louder than he is.

Suggestions anyone?

Thank you

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I think because you mentioned that your GCC’s volume can be a bit much, any Cockatoo will not work. Playfulness really comes down to the individual bird, but I wouldn’t recommend the typically playful aratinga Conures or Caiques because of noise levels.

I’d definitely look into some of the Pionus species, maybe even a Quaker if there’s no restrictions where you’re located. I don’t have experience with these species but many AA members will happily give you their advice.
Good luck and keep your eyes open on any bird rescues in your area. :joyful:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think cockatoos are equally as smart as Greys, louder, and probably harder to keep entertained. So if those are concerns, I would steer away from a 'too. I also caution mixing beak sizes. I currently do it and honestly it makes my life harder. I have a goffin and 2 cockatiels. I don't let my tiels out with my 'too. I don't think he would ever hurt them on purpose but he has nipped me before when startled, etc. I can't even think about the damage his nips would do to a little tiel. So, whenever someone with little birds talks about getting a bigger bird, it's something I suggest thinking about. Are you prepared to not be able to let all your birds out at the same time. I know some people here manage to do it successfully, but my guess is most of here don't let them out together.

BirdWorld

Senegal parrots? They don’t tend to screech or scream and they are usually a quieter species. Parrotlets and Budgies are also usually less noisy, but I can’t agree with that because, as I write this, my budgie is on my shoulder screaming in my ear.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Perhaps a Budgie or Linnie? Both are similar size to your current birds, and not any louder than your conure.

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
I think because you mentioned that your GCC’s volume can be a bit much, any Cockatoo will not work. Playfulness really comes down to the individual bird, but I wouldn’t recommend the typically playful aratinga Conures or Caiques because of noise levels.
I was thinking that a galah would be alright because in my understanding even though they do have both volume and pitch they in general reserve it for the morning, evening and screaming at their toys, which tend to only last for a few minutes at a time.
I am having a bit of trouble understanding noise level because I have heard people say cockatiels are LOUD but I don't find them that loud, surely they are not as loud as say a macaw or M2, right?
I think cockatoos are equally as smart as Greys, louder, and probably harder to keep entertained. So if those are concerns, I would steer away from a 'too.
Really? Maybe I just need to find out how to keep them entertained. How do you keep Elvis entertained?
@BirdWorld (i can't get my quote to work properly sorry)
I like both the bugies and the parotlets, my first pet birds were budgies, they are so fun, but I am worried about their size I would hate for them to be part of a tragic accident.
I'll look further into senegals, Thank you!
Perhaps a Budgie or Linnie?
Again I like the idea of both of those species but the size worries me, but thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you every one for your helpful replies!

Jisoo

Sprinting down the street
maybe a quaker as they are not to loud and can be cuddly and playful. you should also consider a lovebird, they are playful, cuddly, and full of sass.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would advise against a Pionus. Their respiratory systems are very sensitive and would be aggravated by your cockatiels' dust.

Cockatiels are not nearly as loud as a macaw or cockatoo. I believe a cockatoo goes up to 130dB whereas a particularly loud tiel is about 75-80dB. It's a whole different dimension of loud.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I was thinking that a galah would be alright because in my understanding even though they do have both volume and pitch they in general reserve it for the morning, evening and screaming at their toys, which tend to only last for a few minutes at a time.
I am having a bit of trouble understanding noise level because I have heard people say cockatiels are LOUD but I don't find them that loud, surely they are not as loud as say a macaw or M2, right?

Really? Maybe I just need to find out how to keep them entertained. How do you keep Elvis entertained?
@BirdWorld (i can't get my quote to work properly sorry)
I like both the bugies and the parotlets, my first pet birds were budgies, they are so fun, but I am worried about their size I would hate for them to be part of a tragic accident.
I'll look further into senegals, Thank you!

Again I like the idea of both of those species but the size worries me, but thank you for your suggestions!

Thank you every one for your helpful replies!
See if you can find some YouTube videos of cockatoo noises. My neighbors diagonally across the street have said they can hear Elvis. I keep him busy with out of cage play time and toys. Lots of toys. He easily destroys a toy a day at least in his cage and probably another 10 smaller toys/wood blocks/balls playing out of his cage. We play catch a lot too but I think goffins are more active than galahs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A lot of parrots ideally only sound off at morning, evening, and a couple times a day but it's hard to predict.

Quakers I do not consider quiet. I've had 2 and they were scream machines.

My Poicephalus boy is a Jardine's and he's rather quiet but Poicephalus can also be a bit prone to respiratory problems, likely due to lack of Vitamin A. He also goes through $50+ in toys a month, sometimes topping over $100.

Some cage information may help you narrow down what you can reasonably accommodate.

My best birds I did not go looking for. I liked Hahns but never sought one out. I liked Jardine's but never consciously looked. Maybe keep your heart and mind open and see what the universe brings you :)

clarousel

Curious to see if Caiques could be a possible option?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Curious to see if Caiques could be a possible option?
They can be pretty aggressive towards other species would be the main issue :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh :( What other species could they live with peaceably?
Other caiques lol.

Some obviously do get along but I personally wouldn't chance it. It takes a lot of extra work keeping birds that don't get along!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Quakers can scream their feathers off sometimes.
Why are you thinking small birds get into accidents?

So a small bird is out as is a large bird. How about a quiet little dove?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I think the noise factor just comes down to our individual tolerance and living areas, since a macaw in a condo may be a recipe for disaster. But even at their loudest I’ve never met a cockatiel who could rival the bigger guys. :lol:

I would advise against a Pionus. Their respiratory systems are very sensitive and would be aggravated by your cockatiels' dust.
Shoot, you’re totally right. That slipped my mind entirely. Even air purifiers can’t make a dent on Mimi during a heavy molt. :faint:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Quakers can scream their feathers off sometimes.

I will also suggest doves/pigeons, I love Old German Owl pigeons, and I really want to adopt a pigeon or start a pigeon rescue someday.

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
They can be pretty aggressive towards other species would be the main issue
That is the main reason I don't think they would work for me.
Because they are so small they may not get noticed and as a result they may get sat on, squished or locked in a drawer. That would make me feel terrible, so I don't want to take the risk.
Doves sound so sweet and gentle, but I am kind of looking for a step up bird with lots of energy and spunk, as for size I really mean something bigger than a budgie and smaller than a B&G macaw.
Do you mean Poinus or Poicephalus? Because I was looking into a Piocephalus and would hate to get one if their respiratory system would be to weak, I have heard the Poinus have pretty weak respiratory systems is it the same for a Poicephalus?
I think the noise factor just comes down to our individual tolerance and living areas, since a macaw in a condo may be a recipe for disaster. But even at their loudest I’ve never met a cockatiel who could rival the bigger guys. :lol:
That's what I was thinking.

Thank you, all of you have been very helpful!