• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sprouted Lentils

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
I read from lots of sources that sprouted seeds and grains are an excellent source of nutrition for birds so I got straight to work on sprouting my own!

Then my sister came along and reminded me that the lentils I was sprouting were a source of protein!! I don't think it's as much as in eggs or meat but i still wanted to make sure if there was a limit to how much I should offer my birds?

Same as things like corn. Yes it's good for them and they enjoy it but it's not good to give too much or too often. Is there a limit to the amount of sprouted seeds or grains i should offer my lovebird and IRN?

I've been posting so much since i joined but I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can and asking what I can't find online here!!! I want my birds to live to their full life expectancy or more and I want them to be thriving all the while ❤❤

Thank you all so much so far for all your help with my other queries!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Variety is the spice of life, with food more than anything! Lentils actually have almost twice as much protein as a medium egg does! But, plant protein is preferable to animal protein, especially for our birds. I think as part of a healthy mix it would be fine to feed daily.

Sproutpeople.org has several amazing sprout mixes and is where I usually get mine

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Good for you BirdMum! If you combine sprouted legumes (like lentils, mung beans, chickpeas etc) with sprouted grains (like wheat, kamut, spelt, raw buckwheat, whole rice, etc) you get a complete protein. Be careful of too much protein as it can lead to visceral or articular gout. That said, my birds eat my sprouting mix daily - I mix legumes and grains at a ratio of 1 part legumes to 2 parts grains.