• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sour crop/air filled

Jo.11

Moving in
I recently had to take care of unweaned baby cockatiel, about 21 days old. I fed it Harrison’s formula and made sure the temperature was correct and everything. The chick’s crop hasn’t fully emptied in about 15 hours, even though it’s droppings are normal. I just gave it three drops of acv in warm water and massaged the crop for a few minutes but it still hasn’t gone down. I won’t be able to see a vet for a couple of hours so is there anything else I can do to relieve the crop? And should I change the formula?

Jo.11

Moving in
Also is it okay if I mix apple cider vinegar with pedialyte?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Jo, maybe using the papaya cream method could work if you can get a papaya?
You will need a papaya, pedialyte or unsweetened, natural coconut water, and formula.

Here´s the video instructions;

Hopefully he´ll hang in there until the appointment. Your vet might decide to manually empty the crop (not a DIY thing, best leaving that to the professionals).

Jo.11

Moving in
Hi Jo, maybe using the papaya cream method could work if you can get a papaya?
I did get a papaya but I only managed to get an unripe one so I’m not sure if that could work. I’ll keep giving it pedialyte with water and we’ll see how it goes with the vet tonight.

Jo.11

Moving in
So good news, I think the crop emptied about 80 percent, it doesn’t feel completely flat. Should I wait till it’s fully drained and flat or can I feed him now?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would feed him now and then let your vet take over when you get there :)
Just feed a smaller amoutnt so he´s not going hungry while you wait. Don´t fill the crop.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Jo.11 How did you get on at the vet? Is the little one ok?

Jo.11

Moving in
@Jo.11 How did you get on at the vet? Is the little one ok?
The vet told me that the sour crop may be because he was overheating, I kept him in a 35-40 degrees room. he asked me to keep giving him fluids and formula, and to bring him back if he doesn’t improve and he’ll do surgery on him. He’s doing okay but his crop doesn’t empty all the way, there is a small lump and some gas(?) that won’t go away. I will take him to the vet again tomorrow, I’m hoping he’ll make it and I’ll do everything I can.