• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I have dummy eggs. They´re great. Worth the investment because now I don´t have to worry about broken eggs and can just do the switcheroo and dispose of the real egg in the moment. Quick and easy.
I would recommend them for anyone with a M F pair of birds or even two birds of unknown sex.
Glad you said that! I ordered some from Amazon, so I'll always have them! Thank you!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Told you guys I'd give you an update

I boiled the egg when I got home & made her a nest with grass & a cover from a grass mat that they love. The first couple days, Hercules didn't really pay much attention to the egg. Fast forward a couple days later, Hercules just laid her second egg this morning. I added fresh grass to her nest & boiled the second egg. Now Hercules is being aggressive towards me, if I even walk towards the cage, she comes out & lunges at me. She doesn't mind Pepper being close to the nest tho, so that is a relief. I was prepared to separate them if she did. So I am just letting her sit on her 2 boiled eggs & do her thing.
How long will this last before she has had enough of egg sitting?
How will I know for sure?
And.. how many more eggs should I expect her to lay?

Thank you guys!
Photos of Hercules in her nest with 2 eggs

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How long will this last before she has had enough of egg sitting?
How will I know for sure?
The answer to both really just depends on the individual momma. ;) Ziggy had two clutches of eggs...both with three eggs. We subbed out fake eggs both times, of course. Both times, she lost interest in sitting on them in three or four days. When the day came, she just didn't bother with the eggs.

The funny part of the situation was that Igor, Ziggy's mate, kept on sitting on the eggs for almost a week after Ziggy abandoned them....he was a very good Dad...except he had trouble keeping three eggies under himself. He's a small guy...89g...he'd get all three eggs under him, then one would roll away. He'd very gently roll the other two over and try to sit on them...only to have one roll away again.

He'd finally get all three into a corner to sit on them...:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
All sounds very normal. Hen won´t usually sit on the first egg right away.

You will know she has abandoned the eggs because she will stop sitting on them and start playing and sitting in another place.

he was a very good Dad...except he had trouble keeping three eggies under himself. He's a small guy...89g...he'd get all three eggs under him, then one would roll away. He'd very gently roll the other two over and try to sit on them...only to have one roll away again.
That´s adorable! He sounds quite the tryer :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Niko has laid four clutches, two with about five eggs, and two with three eggs. The first two clutches she sat on for three weeks each. I could tell she was done sitting because one day she just started completely ignoring them. The smaller clutches she didn’t sit on at all. I think the reason is because the first two times she was thinking of her sleep cage as a nest. I rearranged things, and she doesn’t have a perceived “nest” anymore. She also is pestered all the time by Cappuccino, which doesn’t make for a good nest sight either lol.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Hey guys, I'm back!!

Starting a new adventure! I am adopting a budgie tomoro from a guy I work with. He found the budgie in a parking lot in Chicago while he was on vacation a little over a year ago. He surely saved his life, but has 4 cats so the bird has never been tamed or even out of his cage in over a year. I am going to quarantine the budgie in my bedroom for several weeks to try to tame him & bond with him, also made a vet app for next week to have him checked out & tested for any illnesses. I believe it is a male because in the pics I've seen of him, has has blue nostrils.

I am asking for advice, I feel very confident in my cockatiels, but this will be my first budgie & he has been neglected & hardly any human interaction. He's been cage bound for a year & I want to do everything right with him from the start. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Also, is it just hopeful thinking that he might ever bond with my tiels? I plan on keeping him in his own cage & possibly getting another for a companion in the future, if all goes right. That's def future tho, not now. What can I do in the first few weeks to help this beautiful, neglected little budgie?

Photos are ones that were sent to me, the one in the car was the day he found him under a chip bag in a parking lot. As you can see, he was in rough shape.
I haven't met the bird in person yet. Getting him tomoro

Attachments

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pink cere would be male, if cere has any white or tan (even if that includes blue) then female. Better pictures, when available, would help. :)

At this point though, I don't know that there's really much that we could offer with everything that you have learned! They essentially have the same care as cockatiels do in regards to diet, a large cage, toys, proper perches and all that! Take it slow and easy of course in earning their trust! You have your work cut out for you, but you've got this! :D

As far as getting along with your cockatiels? Hard to say! Budgies do tend to be annoying to other birds. Not to say they can't get along, but budgies may be too "in your face" for the likes of a cockatiel. Just something to keep in mind!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH that is a small cage to be in for such a long time and the perches are not what is recommended for birds. I would take this bird straight to an avian vet for a wellness check. How was the diet? I expect the bird will not be a strong flyer so making the room a safe place for flight is of primary importance. Upgrading the cage to a flight cage that stands on the floor and improving the perches to natural wood and rope is also needed. Also the budgie will likely be scared to be out of the cage so I suggest you perch train the bird from inside the cage first and then use a small room for flying, like a bathroom that has been made safe. This would include covering all reflective surfaces, toilet lid down and you stay in the bathroom with the bird. If you can take the cage in there is helps too. If the budgie does not want to come out then just be patient and keep trying but it would not be wise to take the bird out by force. If it is done gently and gradually its best. Good luck

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Hoping to see you in the Budgie forum soon - your new bird is gorgeous. I wish I could zoom in on the one where the cere is showing, but I'm not sure how. Maybe you could crop the photo and post it in the forum for a better look at his/her cere. In case this is your first budgie ever I always try to remember to say budgies/parakeets hull their seeds, and the seed dish can look full when it is only empty hulls in there. Just a cautionary note to add fresh seed and water daily.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thanks for replying!

Mr. Freckles is in the building! More like in my bedroom. ;)
He is the tiniest budgie I ever did see. He is about half the size of an English Budgie. I believe he is an American Budgie? Is that correct? He's the cutest little bird, I'm already so in love with him!

I have him in quarantine in my bedroom, it's where I bonded with Hercules & then a year later, Pepper! oh the memories! Seems like just yesterday & like my birds have been with me all my life, hard to explain, but I have my bedroom birb safe as long as I am in the room at all times.

This little guy is scared & stressed. When I picked him up from the previous owners, I brought a throw blanket to cover his cage with. Its extremely windy, cold & figured it help him not stress out so bad. My husband & I talked to him the whole way home & telling him about his brother & sister at home & how he gets to meet them one day
We don't have any children, our birds are our children. Heehee! I took his cage straight to my room & talked to him while I uncovered half of his cage & walked away & left my bedroom for about 20 min to let him settle in. When I come back I talk to him to let him know I'm coming in, he instantly goes to hos back mirror perch & hides behind a toy. I sat on my bed, about 6ft away & just talked to him gently for about 5 min & did the same thing twice. He was out of food & needed fresh water. He didn't panic while I removed the dishes from the cage, but very stressed right now.
I'm just trying to give him his space & let him get used to the surroundings.
I took a couple quick pics to give you guys a better look. I wish I should show size comparison so you could see how tiny he is. I have a larger flight cage for him, but some of the things I ordered to get it setup properly are still on their way from Amazon, so I figured give him a few days in his familiar cage to settle in before moving him into a big cage, unless I had it all setup & ready, then I would've instantly moved him into bigger cage & let him adjust all in one, but have to do it this way.
I hope one day he will bond with me & if not me, maybe my 2 girls? I will always keep them in separate cages & possibly get another budgie in the future. Even if they dont bond, maybe just be able to be out around the house during the day together with my tiels. I'm praying to God this all works out.

Here are few quick pics I took of him. What do you guys think?
Male? Female?
American Budgie?
Tiniest budgie on earth?
Cutest budgie ever?

Attachments

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Quick update-
I just put fresh linen on the bed & the first time I walked by he went to hide, then he went & started eating & drinking, even when I was fluffing the sheets. So atleast he's used to big humans stomping around :sneaky:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Female budgie. (more pics to confirm, but pretty sure hen!) There really is no such thing as an "American" budgie, just a standard pet/normal/wild type one! ;) The "English" variety is also known as Show or Exhibition and were bred to be larger. They *ALL* originate from Australia! :D

She actually looks kind of big, or perhaps heavy set... but she's just a standard or normal type budgie.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I think it is female too, so Mrs. Freckles it is! She looks bigger in pics, but is about the size of my thumb.
She is confident in her cage, because that's all she knows. She hasn't been out of her tiny cage in over a year. Her amazon order should be here today so I can setup a larger cage for her, but I think its really going to stress her out. Her tiny cage is all she knows. Should I wait for more days before putting her in larger cage or? Previous owner says she doesn't like millet? Total bummer because that's what I used to bond with both my birds when they first came home. He said she likes bananas? So I picked up some. I know this is going to be a long process, just hope she eventually starts to trust me & knows I am the treat provider. I brought Pepper in the room with me last night & gave him lovings while sitting on my bed. She seemed interested to see another bird, but stressed so I kept it short, about 15 min.

Any tips for this tiny, terrified, caged bound little yellow baby?

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Also, any tips to get her into her bigger cage? I am setting it up now, but if I touch her cage shes in now, she completely panics! I dont want to reach in & grab her, unless I have to.. shes already terrified of hands. I also bought her a bath, I'm guessing she hasn't had one in over a year. It's the kind that attaches outside the cage. I'm hoping she will use it. I am moving her into the cage Pepper came in. It isnt the best cage, but more than twice the size she is in now. After I bind with her, I'd like to buy a big flight cage & possibly another budgie for a companion. She is so attached to her mirror, made me shed a few tears last night trying to preen her mirror & not getting a response from her reflection.. being alone in her cage in the dark for over a year, she has completely bonded to her mirror. I dont want to take it away just yet because I feel like it is like her security blanket, ya know? She really thinks it's her friend in there & where she feels safest. What do you guys think?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Maybe wait a week or two and then get rid of the mirror. Can the current cage be placed door to door with the new cage? Maybe put some banana in the new cage to entice her to venture in?

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you for replying! I tried figure a way to have new cage door open to her old one, but the new one has a plastic seed catcher, so the doors won't line up.. dang. I dont think I have any other option than to grab her with my hands.. maybe put blanket over the cage so it dark & wear a glove so she cant really see my hands. I dont know what to do, but I want to get her out of the tiny prison she is in & into her new cage so she can spread her wings & explore.
Do I dare do it?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Is there any way to put the old cage inside the new cage? Then open the door and let her come out into the big cage at will.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I had no other options than to put on a glove & take her out of her tiny cage. She squawked & didn't like it, but I made it quick as possible & put her up on the tallest perch by her mirror & then left the room so she could calm down. After about 15 min I went & sat on my bed & talked to her gently. She started to stretch & fall asleep, so I am going to let her relax & hopefully after her napn she will want to explore. Once I see her eat & drink I will feel better. I feel awful for her. Poor thing. This is going to be a long bonding process I think, even longer than Hercules. She took over a month to step up & couple weeks after that for her first head scratch. The process is always worth it in the end tho. My birds are so attached to me & my entire day revolves around them. They are my cuddle bug babies ❤
I will keep you guys posted on the progress. Thank you for all your advice! Anything more advice you can think of or tips & tricks is greatly appreciated!
Hope everyone is feeling blessed today!