• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
First thing is - why did you want a cockatiel in the first place?

What cage do you have and is it and all the things you already bought suitable for a sun conure?

To me it sounds like your breeder doesn't know what she is doing to be perfectly honest. The fact that he is so bitey to me means that she's made him fearful of hands and no one is respecting his space. Or, she simply isn't hand taming him like she says she is. A 6 week old cockatiel definitely can be tamed but if he's had a rough start to life, its an uphill battle at times.

Baby conures tend to love EVERYONE.

Now, here's some personal experiences. I brought home a cuddly little baby quaker, completely hand tame and well socialized. He was my bud. And then when he hit puberty, he started to bite me, fly away when I got near, and only wanted to be with my husband. It took me a good 10 months or so for him to even allow me near him again without biting. And its only been in the last 2 years of his almost 7 years that he has allowed me to pet him again.

Conversely, I adopted an adult Hahns Macaw that was hands off and I was told she would take AGES to warm up to me. Three days in she flew onto my face and then finally settled into the space on my shoulder, where she remained until the day she died basically. She was an extension of my heart and soul.

The point is, what you know now about both of these birds might change in a week or it might change in a year. Babies specifically are not set in stone - they are malleable to a larger degree. But all bets are off when hormones hit.

Mizzy, if you don't mind me asking, how is a hahns macaw? I've always wanted one, Seen one at parrot store, but they are hard to come by. Had many parrots in my life time, the hahns is one I found hard to come by.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thanks!!! Have you prospected another hahns yet? Do you think your hahns will allow another one being that it's a one person bird and territorial?? I'm curious. I tried a new buddy with my grey, another grey 5 times his age. They just wouldn't get along, tolerate each other from a distance, but not next to one another. Which is funny because my bfa and grey are best of buddies. My bfa babies him and groom's him like it's her baby!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks!!! Have you prospected another hahns yet? Do you think your hahns will allow another one being that it's a one person bird and territorial?? I'm curious. I tried a new buddy with my grey, another grey 5 times his age. They just wouldn't get along, tolerate each other from a distance, but not next to one another. Which is funny because my bfa and grey are best of buddies. My bfa babies him and groom's him like it's her baby!

My Hahns sadly died almost 5 years ago now in a toy accident. I don't know that she would have accepted another simply because of her past and her bond with me.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ohhh, so sorry! I did not know. If I may ask....what happened? Toy?
I had a toy incident with my grey. Friends bought a toy for greyson, a ball with a flimsy metal round jingle bell in it....you couldn't really see it. Some how my grey got it out and had it wrapped inside his beak and outside... My wife, a surgical vet assistant and I sprung into action, had to hold him down a literally use needle nose pliers to get it unwrapped from around his beak.
I couldn't believe how stupid I was to not know that kind of thing was inside ball. Lesson learned, all toys now are checked out good. And greyson was ok.... A bit set back and stressed, but ok.
could have been awful.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ohhh, so sorry! I did not know. If I may ask....what happened? Toy?
I had a toy incident with my grey. Friends bought a toy for greyson, a ball with a flimsy metal round jingle bell in it....you couldn't really see it. Some how my grey got it out and had it wrapped inside his beak and outside... My wife, a surgical vet assistant and I sprung into action, had to hold him down a literally use needle nose pliers to get it unwrapped from around his beak.
I couldn't believe how stupid I was to not know that kind of thing was inside ball. Lesson learned, all toys now are checked out good. And greyson was ok.... A bit set back and stressed, but ok.
could have been awful.

Here is what happened Potential Hazard: Birdie Bagels and Rope | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh man.....so sorry. You know there is always that "what if" when things happen...but your right, you really have to be aware of all things we think are harmless to birds....they will surprise you in the most unexpected and frightening ways.
My other grey passed away a few months back. He was old, but I always said to myself, I want to be there to comfort him when it happens. One morning for some odd reason, I woke straight up, a gut feeling somethings wrong. Went down stairs and my grey was on bottom of cage. Still very warm. Had just happened moments earlier. I think to myself, what woke me suddenly like that? And if I'd of only gotten up a bit earlier. It was around 7:30 in morning as it was. I spent the next couple hours just cuddling him. Was my buddy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Oh man.....so sorry. You know there is always that "what if" when things happen...but your right, you really have to be aware of all things we think are harmless to birds....they will surprise you in the most unexpected and frightening ways.
My other grey passed away a few months back. He was old, but I always said to myself, I want to be there to comfort him when it happens. One morning for some odd reason, I woke straight up, a gut feeling somethings wrong. Went down stairs and my grey was on bottom of cage. Still very warm. Had just happened moments earlier. I think to myself, what woke me suddenly like that? And if I'd of only gotten up a bit earlier. It was around 7:30 in morning as it was. I spent the next couple hours just cuddling him. Was my buddy.
They tell us they're leaving this world. My avatar, Quaker Kiwi, was at the vet's house on oxygen because she'd been diagnosed with pneumonia. I woke up at 2 a.m. because I'm positive I heard her call for me. Dr. Thomas called me in the morning to let me know that she had unfortunately passed away around 2 a.m. It's part of the bond we have with our feathered children. I'm sorry for your loss.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
They tell us they're leaving this world. My avatar, Quaker Kiwi, was at the vet's house on oxygen because she'd been diagnosed with pneumonia. I woke up at 2 a.m. because I'm positive I heard her call for me. Dr. Thomas called me in the morning to let me know that she had unfortunately passed away around 2 a.m. It's part of the bond we have with our feathered children. I'm sorry for your loss.
I'm sorry for your too!! Isn't that unique, I too woke up like that, just shot right up out of dead sleep.....I swore I heard my grey sparky scream out a sheeirk! There he was still warm. I often wondered if he was frightened knowing he was going. I just wish I was awake to comfort him and let him know it's ok. It's hard when they are up there in age, and the vet warned me that his age was catching up to him.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I hate to leaving this information when you seems to be so happy over your cheap bird bath.

But that plastic is recykled industrial plastic. Not safe for us or our birds. (That's why they are so cheap)
Only use plastic that is certified human safe for food and water.

Oh @Eloy J.T., I didn't even think about this - thanks for the heads up!
I will use the mini paint pan as intended!
I did just have a novel idea though..... I remember when I was a child and had the little green turtles in a big green plastic bowl with an island (and palm tree) in middle of the bowl. It had a slope where the turtles could climb up on the island... maybe my budgies might like something like this for their 'vacation resort'! ;)

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
When Huey passed away I had a dream a while later about him that felt so real. He was sitting on my head while I was playing a video game. I told him it was time to go to bed and then I woke up. I wasn't sad, I felt calm and peaceful. My mother said that was his way of telling me he was alright.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Hey guys, I'm back & need your help once again!

I have been on a week long vacation with family, my hubby stayed home to care for all our animals, including my feather babies.
My husband called late lastnight & said Hercules (cockatiel) laid an egg! She laid it under her cage, the part that catches the food & such. I told him to get some grass & put it in their foraging bin. It's a small plastic tubberware.
(Pic he sent me included)
I told him to put the bin in the bottom of the cage. He said Hercules has been sitting on it & now Pepper is too. I am not sure if Pepper is Male or female, but I dont think they did the dirty, because they dont mind each other, but keep their distance & never preen or even touch each other. I am about to order fake dummy eggs online & replace the real one or multiple if she lays anymore. I will be home tomoro evening, but freaking out because I am not home to investigate & monitor & my hubby is working most of the day.

I don't know if Pepper is Male or female. Is it normal for 2 females to sit on the same egg? If not, do i separate them?
(Hercules & Pepper share a large cage & are usually out 10-14hrs a day)

Any tips of what I should do?

What would you do?
(I'm freaking out, anything helps!)

Thanks again, so much!!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tell your husband to boil the egg, allow to cool and put it back where you found it - just in case they did mate.

Then monitor the birds, if any fights erupt, split them up (but they should be fine).

Once the birds stop tending to the egg(s), bin them.

Don´t freak out, you´ll be ok ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Are you trying to breed them? If not, do as @Zara suggested. Also, to stop egg laying (should she keep laying them, which is not good for them).... lower their daylight hours, rearrange the cage - I actually rearrange often because I have a chronic egg layer.

If you are trying to breed them, I beg you to look around your local shelters, on Craigslist, etc and see how many are already out there. :sad11: There's no need for more cockatiels in the world.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Cockatiels share nest duty.... so it's normal for two cockatiels to sit on the eggs. That said, it's usually male and female! But if they are female/female and bonded, it might not be that unusual!

If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Move the cage to a new location
    • Use a cage grate
    • Get a new cage/Use a different cage
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Full Spectrum Lighting/Better Lighting
    • Lower the indoor temperature
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
    • Remove anything that could be taken as a nest
    • Remove anything that could be used as nesting material
    • Don't allow her in any dark place or enclosed area
    • IMPORTANT: save the eggs in the fridge
    • If she lays more than 3-4 eggs, put them back in the cage
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Leave the eggs alone in the cage
    • [Optional] Replace with fake eggs (prevent eggs from breaking)
    • Increase calcium
    • Let hen sit on eggs for 3-4 weeks or until she gets bored of them
    • Once done sitting, toss

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Tell your husband to boil the egg, allow to cool and put it back where you found it - just in case they did mate.

Then monitor the birds, if any fights erupt, split them up (but they should be fine).

Okay, I am going to do just that!
Thank you!

Are you trying to breed them? If not, do as @Zara suggested. Also, to stop egg laying (should she keep laying them, which is not good for them).... lower their daylight hours, rearrange the cage - I actually rearrange often because I have a chronic egg layer.

If you are trying to breed them, I beg you to look around your local shelters, on Craigslist, etc and see how many are already out there. :sad11: There's no need for more cockatiels in the world.
I couldn't agree more! I would never want to breed any living thing, wayyy to many unwanted "pets" in the world, it is tragic.
I just want my birdies to be okay, they are my children. Thank you sooo much for responding!

Cockatiels share nest duty.... so it's normal for two cockatiels to sit on the eggs. That said, it's usually male and female! But if they are female/female and bonded, it might not be that unusual!

If it helps... This is generally what I recommend for egg-laying hens. (X-post) :)

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Use a cage grate
    • 12-14 hours of complete darkness (may require as much as 16 hrs for 2 weeks - or try providing the opposite, as little as 8 hrs of sleep)
    • Decrease calcium and protein within the diet (if she is on a high calcium & protein diet prior to laying eggs)
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Increase calcium

Generally speaking, there are triggers to hens laying eggs, and if you can remove the triggers, you may be able to stop the egg laying. Triggers can include toys that she can lay in, a plastic base to a cage, nesting material (i.e. cage bedding), a diet high in protein and fat, too much or not enough light, quality of light, etc. All things that should be considered. Removing the triggers to egg laying should be considered *FIRST* before any drastic measures should be taken. You never know, it could be something simple!
Wow! Thank you for that! Very informative!
I will boil the egg when I get home, let it cool & return it. Has anyone used fake dummy eggs? Kinda worried if the boiled egg broke a week down the road & the birds consuming rotten egg?

Thank you guys so much for responding!
I will post updates on this new experience for us. Pray to God we get thru this without any problems

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway

Okay, I am going to do just that!
Thank you!

I couldn't agree more! I would never want to breed any living thing, wayyy to many unwanted "pets" in the world, it is tragic.
I just want my birdies to be okay, they are my children. Thank you sooo much for responding!

1. Remove Eggs
    • Rearrange the cage
    • Use a cage grate
  2. Leave the Eggs
    • Increase calcium

Wow! Thank you for that! Very informative!
I will boil the egg when I get home, let it cool & return it. Has anyone used fake dummy eggs? Kinda worried if the boiled egg broke a week down the road & the birds consuming rotten egg?

Thank you guys so much for responding!
I will post updates on this new experience for us. Pray to God we get thru this without any problems

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Great advice already given...so all I can add is relax...I know that's kind of hard to do, but do you best...:)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Has anyone used fake dummy eggs?
I have dummy eggs. They´re great. Worth the investment because now I don´t have to worry about broken eggs and can just do the switcheroo and dispose of the real egg in the moment. Quick and easy.
I would recommend them for anyone with a M F pair of birds or even two birds of unknown sex.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
We are heading home! It's been a week since I've seen my babies!
I'll post an update when I get home

Thank you!