• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Scary Bump (>_<)

scremme

Moving in
Real Name
Ruth
Hello guys, I’m hoping for some more opinions on something!

A few months ago, I adopted a sweet baby boy and named him Cricket. He is currently about 4 months old and is going through his first molt.

He has many pin feathers on and around his head right now, so the other night, I was helping him preen them out. As I moved some feathers to the side, I noticed a lump/bump on his head! It is small and whitish in color, more on the softer side. He didn’t seem to mind me touching it.

I contacted our vet and sent in this picture. They told me it didn’t strike them as super concerning and to just “keep an eye on it”... it hasn’t changed much in the past few days, so I was hoping to get some other opinions on what it might be!

If you have any helpful info, please help put my mind at ease!

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From what I see. This is an injury site. All the new feathers right around the spot indicate they were all pulled out at the time if the accident. Hence why they are all new and at about the same stage. The actual spot could be an infected feather follicle (and closed over) because the follicle was possibly damaged. Could be a bit of puss in there.

He bonked his head pretty good on something sharp.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Agree that this could be an injury and/or feather follicle cyst.

Also agree with the vet's advice to keep an eye on it!

If it does change, maybe there might be something you could do as per the vets guidance?

scremme

Moving in
Real Name
Ruth
Well we figured it out!
I decided to take him to the vet anyways, even though I knew I was probably just getting myself all worked up..

Turns out you guys were right and it was nothing more than an infected feather follicle! The vet drained out the nasty stuff inside and Cricket is now doing great (๑╹ω╹๑ )♡

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad you got to the vet and Cricket is on the mend :)