• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper is gone

jeme3

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Lots of good advice above. A few years ago my Pepper had a big adventure, but was found and returned.

Read about it here.

I hope your Pepper is also returned home soon.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Hope you find her! :heart:

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
:sorry: Hope you find Pepper soon.

Try checking local rescues & local shelters & see if there is a local bird club to post on.
Also check local Vets or petstores sometimes people post found animals to them.
Also there is a page on facebook 911 Parrot Alert for lost birds I know that is a long shot but worth a try.

Last edited:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Aw Im glad your Pepper found her way back
At this point it's 10am and we've walked and called, handed flyers out
I dont think she's in the area..

So anxious- especially with the predicted snow coming. How high do you think the chances are of survival for a tiel in the snow?
It seems like atleast 15 houses spread out have bird feeders of some sort, if Pepper figures out there's food maybe she'll be ok on hunger.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
She's gone.
I opened their outdoor cage and had taken Pikachu out, and was going to get Pepper as well but she got out, flew towards me and then up, and just went around a corner and we lost sight all at 4:30pm I think

We searched and searched and called and around 6-7 someone heard her call out twice. It was darker.

We kept looking and calling, my dad whistled (she usually responded loudly to that indoors)
But it's now 9 and dark and since hearing her that one time no luck.

I'm really sad- I wish I had her wings clipped sooner but wishing does nothing :sad11:
I asked a couple of neighbors all around (that were awake) to keep an eye out for her.

But cats, dogs, owls aaa

We posted on our area's FB page but I dont know how actively it's used/looked at.
I wish I didn't look away that one moment. She might still have been here.

It's cold and dark out there :sad10:

Where are in Washington? I could ask on our local bird club if anyone know of a bird group in Washington.

I found this on facebook. Maybe they can help or give suggestions.
Facebook

Last edited:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Where are in Washington? I could ask on our local bird club if anyone know of a bird group in Washington.

I found this on facebook. Maybe they can help or give suggestions.
Facebook
The city of Brier, I'll try the one you linked

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
The city of Brier, I'll try the one you linked
You should post on the 911 Parrot alert bird clubs watch that page.
I know our bird club is always sharing posts from there.
Good Luck I hope you find Pepper soon.
:hug4:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Pikachu's been flock/contact calling outside. Nearly 12 now
There's a lot of wind, I wonder if she'll handle flying ok in it if she starts moving, wherever she is.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I hate to say this, but clipping Pepper wouldn't have necessarily prevented her escape.

Pictures - Wing trims and flying | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Pepper having her wings could be keeping her safer from the dangers of the outside world. Safety from, as you have already seen, crows. Maybe hawks, dogs, cats, and whatever else may be lurking out there. If she was clipped, she'd be in more danger now than being flighted.

You have received some great advice already. I hope that you are able to find her, or perhaps she'll go to someone else who's smart enough to look for you!!!

Best of wishes in her recovery! :sadhug2:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch was flying the best I've ever seen him do outside, he was evading crows and trying to find a big tree to hide in so flying well definitely helped him. He spent 3 nights in some very cold and wet conditions and was fine each morning when I was expecting the worst. He huddled into his tree and walked around to get out of the wind and rain when it got bad. The last tree was just too high to safe branches to climb. I think he'll find the safest warmest spot he can and try to stay safe, plus I think being a smallish and fast flier is a advantage for him, he can dodge and zip away easier.
Remember Lurch did not immediately make noises till he was awake, and knew he had heard and seen us, othet then that he stayed very quiet so if he doesn't feel safe and doesn't know your close by he might not make a sound. He's going to get hungry and thirsty soon so hopefully he goes to feeders and somebody rescues him and calls you.
Hang in there you've done about everything you can but I'd keep going out in the areas and calling to him today if possible. :bighug:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Good news! Pepper was spotted only a minute away from the house, at 12:30 flying over someone else's roof and possibly in direction of our house or the area around it..
It is raining though, I guess she'd stop flying but atleast I know she survived again.

We saw crows driving off a hawk..hhh

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
You should get your other birds outside.... even in the rain. Calls can be heard quite a distance. Go looking an calling... if you have trained recall she will probably be hungry enough to brave the rain to get to you... bring treats.

BeeBop

Yay! :fairy2:It's raining so she won't fly far. Hope she is still where she was spotted!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
If you can put his cage up high where he'll see it. We had Lurches old small cage on the roof of the house his tree was close to and when he flew away I kept it on the trunk of my Dart in the back yard in case he flew over so he would see it and go into his old house.
Go out and start making noise and call him, if he's high up nearby waiting out the rain he may see and hear you and respond or if really lucky cone to you.
Anyways great news and hope for the best.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Giving Pikachu a minute to rest indoors while we listen and look for Pepper- I'll be bringing him out in like 10mins to try flock calls again
She unfortunately was not re-call trained yet- but if she sees the cage she escaped from..maybe we'll see her!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good news! Pepper was spotted only a minute away from the house, at 12:30 flying over someone else's roof and possibly in direction of our house or the area around it..
It is raining though, I guess she'd stop flying but atleast I know she survived again.
Don't waste any time now, get out with Pikachu, it will not kill him if you only do it 10 minutes.
And go out two. One of you will not take your eyes of your bird until she is safe home.