• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Wing trims and flying

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I found this picture on facebook and it really surprised me because I didn't think clipped parrots could fly. I normally don't clip because one of my macaws went after another and this was after they had been friendly for over a year when out together. IMG_1382.JPG

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Generally, clipped birds can still do some flying. I think the seeming severity of the clip is exaggerated by the angle/foreshortening, because the bird seems like it's landing. Kind of like this pelican. :cantsee:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Pepper's wings were clipped but she cleared a whole playground like it was nothing-

clipping definitely does not insure birds wont get away and that is great proof!

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Grumbles flies with no difficulty- now landings are a different story lol:. He usually faceplants when he lands. He has been molting so hopefully his wings will grow out soon! :)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm pretty sure that macaw is not clipped at all! It's just the way the feathers are twisted forward and foreshortening.
I've taken lots of pictures of my birds flying and sometimes it just looks like that.

IMG_5815.JPG Not a perfect match for that wing position but you can sort of see how the primaries can be twisted forward so they look very short due to foreshortening.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I assure all of you that macaw is clipped.
I've had Sakie, with double that clip, fly the length of a football field.

You are missing the point entirely. Clipped birds can and do fly, even a heavy clip will not stop them.

Korbel and Sakie are my two. You could clip every feather and they would still fly.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
B7DAFACA-4114-4820-8D40-115775056464.JPG That one sure doesn't look anything like my macaws and none of them are clipped. IMO that poor B&G looks sheared.

And it appears the picture was taken on the ground while looking up at the macaw gliding in the air..

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Beautiful pic Alexa! ♥

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran

You are missing the point entirely. Clipped birds can and do fly, even a heavy clip will not stop them.

Korbel and Sakie are my two. You could clip every feather and they would still fly.

No disagreement about a clipped bird's aptitude for flight, especially when startled - certainly not missing the point there. Mostly just intrigued by the image/angle. :cantsee:

Pockets was pretty great at flying when we first got him home, without a flight feather to be seen. Now he's a rocket!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The macaw pictured is missing 6 primary feathers on each side.

The first three primaries are intact, the first feather is considered the impact feather. It's sole job is to be strong enough to protect the rest of the feathers. The second three in line are strong curved feathers, they are for gaining height quickly, they also hold the air under the wing. The rest of the primaries help in gliding and turns. The secondaries are your brakes, they attempt to slow the bird when gravity brings them down.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

I have much smaller birds that can not only fly (inside the house), but with a wind from behind they can (and have) soar(ed). I have been lucky enough to recover the one bird 3 times (because I was really too stupid and new of a bird parent) and the other one once because the weather changed drastically and I had her companion bird in a cage with me. My gccs and sun can and will fly perfectly well with a little more effort even with a complete clip - DO NOT FOOL YOURSELF.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I had Russell Boogertoo clipped early on because of his attitude. The idea was to slow him down a little/make it harder work to fly. It did not slow him down at all.

Thankfully over time we were able to convince him not to fly and attack.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I had Russell Boogertoo clipped early on because of his attitude. The idea was to slow him down a little/make it harder work to fly. It did not slow him down at all.

Thankfully over time we were able to convince him not to fly and attack.
Ditto with Tikki, the sun. It just means that Tikki has to make more of an effort to fly but it hasn't stopped him from flying at all. He has (fortunately) stopped attacking people but we still watch him with visitors.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Before I had the birdroom, I had the birds in my living room which is ten by eight ft. To keep their speed down, I clipped the cockatiels, especially the fledglings. Otherwise they were crashing into walls way too hard!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The B&G above with his wings spread was clipped when he first came home here. He was a rescue from an abandoned drug house and animal control had to net him. He didn't trust us at all and he was scared and/or angry... clipping his wings helped me get close to him that first year.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Birds are just fascinating to me. I'm sure most of you know that birds have hallow bones, they are hallow to lessen the overall weight and make it easier to fly. In some bones the hollow cavities contain extensions of the air sacs from the lungs.