• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper is gone

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
We're going to print flyers and hope..
That's great. Pepper could definitely be found by someone else and if you have more people looking for your bird then there is a higher chance of finding them. :)

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
We're going to print flyers and hope..
I would use the daylight hours to continue your search and perhaps use some of the techniques (like an anchor bird. etc in my other post) to search for your baby. Search the trees.... I wouldn't waste the precious daylight hours printing the fliers. I would do that at night.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Hoping Pepper comes home soon!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry, I hope Pepper comes home

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
We called and called, checked with what neighbors were home.. When it got dark we printed flyers
Came home and called out again. Nothing.
Im afraid that if she did call back, that a predator would get to her before me.
Turning in for the night again..Im going to get up early as I can and walk around again. Next step is to call the bird sstore we got her and Pikachu from and tell them the bad news when they open...and print more flyers.
It's been more than 10hrs since the sighting of her at the school..more than 24 since she originally escaped.

Im worried sick.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Keep up the faith, she probably found a big bushy tree to hide in and when it gets light and warmer she'll wake up and start looking for her flock and calling. She'll be quiet till morning anyways so just hang in there, hit the area she was last in and get the flyers and word out. We gave flyers and talked to everyone that would listen in the area Lurch was in so many neighbors knew about him. I still get asked by the kids that were around when I was under his tree if we found him.
Hoping for good news tomorrow, good luck.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
oh sweetie, I know that you are worried. please don't give up ok.
let me tell you a little story that I hope will help you. in my siggie, there is little budgie named The Turk, in my siggie. I have no idea how long he lived outside. but he came to my apt deck door because he could hear my 2 cockatiels talking. I went out to water my plants on the deck, not knowing he was out there. the second I open the screen door he came thru screaming his head off. he flew right to the cage where Rocky and Tuffy were, stopping long enough to skinny himself thru the bars. he was so hungry, that is the first thing he did, chow down on all the food he could stuff in his beak. I quickly closed the deck screen and got my 2 out of the cage and up on the curtain rod. I tried to pick him up but got bitten for the effort. I was finally able to towel him and put his little butt into my bathroom, toilet seat down and door closed. I pulled the food & water dish from my 2's cage dumped them out. filling clean dishes and getting my 2 back in their cage covered. I set up a little travel cage for the stick of dynamite in the bathroom. I caught him and put him in that cage. he lived with me until his death. but his last months were most likely his best.
the moral of this story is just this, they are tougher then we think they are. and hopefully Pepper is just as tough as the Turk was. she is out there waiting for you to find her and bring her home. keep looking, calling, trying. :hug8::heart::hug8:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
If all these tiny birds outside can deal with the heavy rains I hope Pepper can. Wont be clear of rain until Wednesday at earliest
I cant help thinking of the bad things, like the crows might have caught her..and the owls out there or she goes off far into some forest

It gives me some hope to hear good stories but still :(

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Pikachu got a warm shower to relax and he went to bed now, he is tired after going with us to search for her..poor guy. They've been together since day one.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Snow is in the weather forecast this week too

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I know from experience the tremendous anxiety you are experiencing. You seem to be doing all you can... I am certain you are going to start your search early.

Being new to the board and unfamiliar with your birds and set up, based on what I read you have an outside cage? This is good. I would put a bird he is friendly with in it... preferably one that makes a lot of noise. Calls can be heard quite a distance. I would also send someone familiar to the bird with another bird to hang out at the last sighting location while others search...

I like to use binoculars when searching... and keep track of where you have been. One friend of mine (who also free flies) has digital recordings of his birds calling and playing that he looped to repeat... and he plays the loop his phone or mp3 player attached to external speaks. He had success with that...

I would try to enlist the aid of friends and family and set up someone familiar with a birdie friend near the last sighting location.

Fingers Crossed. Good Luck.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I've emailed UPS and fed ex places near me asking for mail carriers to keep an eye out, and emailed some radio stations and two newspaper places. Im trying to make the most of the night, if I cant be out looking for her.
Yes we have a small cage they have a big perch and one or two toys in for them to play with while enjoying the sun, we use it as thir outdoor cage

Im hoping to play Pikachu's sounds on a phone tomorrow..stuff echoes here so I wonder if it'll confuse her if she's nearby

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
I hope you find pepper soon

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
She will instinctually come to familiar sounds... it won't confuse her.

I am reposting part of my original post...

after 24 hours of searching, he has not been spotted

Here are some other ideas and contacts. If a person finds your bird, they may contact one of these organizations or see your poster or advertisement.

· Call animal control.

· Call local veterinarians.

· Call local zoos.

· Call local pet shops. Speak with the managers and let them know. Sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash. Alert them to possible calls similar to “What does a bird eat that looks like this?”

· Call local police.

· Put LOST PARROT posters along the main roads in and out of the area the bird was last seen, especially near intersections where people are driving slow or are stopping, in the local supermarkets, post office, and even let the fire department know.

· Place a LOST ad in your area craigslist and newspaper(s). If you offer a reward, it may increase the chances of your bird’s return. Post signs in local veterinarians’ offices, pet stores, and apartment bulletin boards (usually near the mailboxes areas). Have your kids post signs on the school’s bulletin board. Post signs anywhere you think they’ll be noticed. You may also wish to offer a reward as incentive for people to call.

· Check the classified section of the paper for “found” bird. Answer all ads. People are sometimes unaware of what they have found. A Congo African grey may be mistaken for the mythical red tailed pigeon by a helpful stranger who is unfamiliar with parrots.

· Contact your area animal rescue/shelters and have them put your bird on file. Make sure they have a way to contact you. Call them every few days to make sure you keep it fresh in their minds. Be sure to ask how long they keep a lost animal on file and be sure to call back and relist your bird if you’re still looking for him/her.

· Contact any local breeders and let them know about your lost bird. Again, sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash.

· Check with local nearby areas that may have people outdoors in the open such as golf courses and leave a flyer with them. Birds have been known to land on a golfer's head.

· Post on Facebook, it is a great tool for spreading the word

· Check Craigslist for FOUND, FREE, OR FOR SALE Birds. Sometimes people find birds and can’t keep them and then try to give them away or sell them.

On all posters/flyers, ads, etc., make sure you mention how your bird is family to you (and your children). Stress how much you care for your bird and it may help to persuade someone who may not initially intend on returning a found bird to contact you.

Tape a flyer on each side of your car’s back windows. Then, as you drive around looking for the bird and handing out flyers, people will see a rolling advertisement. People will notice and stop to ask. It is an especially good idea if you think your bird is still in the area.

Note: Don’t give out the bird’s band number. If your bird accidentally falls into the wrong hands this could lead to removal of the band.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Woke up, it's 4:30am so no sign of sun yet but if it could lighten up a liittle more we'll be able to go out.
Crossing fingers..hopefully she is nearby and willing to call back.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am sorry she has gone missing. Let's hope she comes home today. :sadhug:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
I hope!
Now 7:38AM, and we walked out and around at 6:20AM
I called and called in the two spots (one where we heard her cry out on the first night) and near where the last possible sighting was.

We only hear crows and normal, local wild bird noise. I went out and put fresh seed, pellets and nutriberry in the cage she escaped from and pushed it further out on the driveway.
Yesterday a nice family actually printed a flyer and walked the neighborhood while we printed more of our own. They said they once found a parrot in their yard and managed to catch and return it.
Since posting on the community FB page for the city a couple of people we came across at stores said they heard about Pepper's escape and would keep an eye out..the word spread quickly, atleast.