• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper is gone

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Pepper, please come home...

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Oh no, I'm so sorry.:( I hope you find her. BeeBop got out once too, thankfully we found him. Put some treats out and definitely take your other bird and the whistling sounds with you. Take anything they like for example BeeBop likes the sound of the millet bag shaking. Get a group of people to look if you can and don't forget to look in trees and high spots.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
any good news??

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Some kind of good news- we spotted her at a nearby elemantry school's field at 10am after searching since 7am
she was being chased by two crows though...

if she survived the night and those owls we spotted, I hope she escapes the crows

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:angel1:

Hopefully they will just chase her out of there territory. Did you see what direction so you can search that area?
Guess she would be too scared to fly to you.

:sadhug2:

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
keep her in my prayers.:angel1:

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Having some experience with recovering lost birds..... I have never not recovered a bird, the longest I had one "missing" was 2 days. Some helpful tips / ideas

Bird is flying away

Call to your bird loudly as he is flying—it may help him find his way back to you.

As your bird is flying, do not take your eyes off of him. Note the last place you saw him, the level of his flight, how tired he looked. He may have landed in that area. If you were prepared for this flight, two way radios, especially GPS radios, cell phones and a group of similarly equipped group of people will dramatically improve the effectiveness of the search efforts. If you were unprepared for this flight, grab your cell phone and charger and call your friends to come help!

Searching for your bird

If you have a group of people, spread out and circle the area where you last saw him. Instruct them to listen for the bird’s contact calls and not to spend much time chatting with each other.If you cannot locate him, call to him. He may call back. Say words or sounds he knows or mimics. Most parrots are located by their loud contact calls.

If there is another bird he likes, put that bird in a cage and bring it to the area where you last saw him. Walk away from the bird in the cage. It might encourage the bird in the cage to scream. Play a recording of your parrots via video camera, laptop, boom box, iPhone, etc. Even these tiny speakers may encourage the caged bird to sound off with contact calls. This may inspire the lost bird to contact call back. Keep talking to a minimum so you can listen for the scream.

Look carefully in a limited area (within one mile) in the early stages of your search. Parrots usually do not go far unless blown by the wind, chased by a bird of prey or crows, or extremely frightened.

Keep in mind your parrot may see you before you see him. When this happens, parrots are sometimes very quiet. This may be because the parrot is more comfortable now that you are present or it may still be very frightened. Just because you searched an area, does not mean the bird is not there. On the day it went missing it may be just sitting silently watching.

Despite some parrots’ bright colors, these colors and patterns break up the birds outline which can make them very difficult to see in trees. Look for movement buried in the trees as opposed to your whole bird perched prominently on the tree. Watch for motion of tree branches which might indicate a bird climbing to get a better position. Especially watch the taller trees in the area.

Once you find your bird, relax (unless the bird is in immediate danger.) It is better to let the bird sit where he is (if he is inaccessible) while you work out a strategy. You also do not want to send messages to the bird that you are frightened which could imply the area is not safe. Do not frantically try to grab the bird, hose, or scare him down.

If the bird has just landed

He will probably not fly again (if at all) for awhile.

Bring the bird’s favorite person and/or favorite bird friend (in a cage) to the area where your bird is located.

Bring favorite food items, familiar food bowls, and the bird’s cage if possible.

Try to call your bird down when his body language indicates he is ready to try to come down. Do not constantly call.

Be careful not to ask your bird to fly from a steep angle. Try to position yourself (or bird buddy or bird cage) to allow short climbs to lower places and/or short flights with gentle glide path that does not have obstacles to avoid as they fly down.

Try to use only familiar perches if reaching up to the bird with a perch. The bird may fly again if he touches the new perch and is frightened by it. If you have no other option, expect the process to be slower and be patient with your bird as he builds his confidence.

Do not raise unfamiliar objects up to your bird to have him step onto it. More than likely this will only scare your bird to fly farther away. If you have a familiar item, you may have a chance that the bird will step onto it. Keep in mind things like ladders, people climbing trees, cherry pickers etc. may also scare your bird. Go extremely slowly if you resort to using these items. Stop any action if your bird looks like he wants to fly away.

Try hiding from your bird on occasion. This will create a level of anxiety in your bird which may cause him to try to come to you once you reappear. Usually birds will scream and or start moving around a lot when they are ready to make an effort to return to you. If you notice this activity, come out from hiding.

If you hear your bird screaming while you are hiding, he may be ready to fly or is already in the air. Come out of hiding right away. Most parrots scream when they are flying in this type of situation.

Birds also often relieve themselves and also scream right before they fly. Be alert for this. You may need to see where your bird flies. Be ready to run if necessary.

Avoid having a crowd of people around the bird’s favorite person. A scared bird may not want to fly into a crowd of strangers. Give the bird’s favorite person lots of room.

The sun is setting and your bird is still out.

As sunset approaches, parrots interest in getting to their preferred roosting site will increase and they will often fly again shortly before the sun starts to set. This is probably your last opportunity to get your bird back before he will begin to roost for the night. Contact calling with the bird may encourage one last flight. Be prepared to watch the bird careful because sometimes this last flight can be harder to see as the bird flies in low light.

As the sun starts to set, your bird will start to fluff his feathers and get ready to roost for the night. At this point it is best to just allow him to go to sleep. Keep an eye on him until the sun has set completely. Remember his exact location.

Before the sun rises the next day, return to that location. Your bird should still be there, unless he was frightened in the night (owls can cause this).

Usually by 8:30 or 9:00 a.m., your bird will be ready to fly again or make an attempt to get to you. Repeat the steps described in the section.

Your bird has flown off and, after 24 hours of searching, he has not been spotted

Here are some other ideas and contacts. If a person finds your bird, they may contact one of these organizations or see your poster or advertisement.

· Call animal control.

· Call local veterinarians.

· Call local zoos.

· Call local pet shops. Speak with the managers and let them know. Sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash. Alert them to possible calls similar to “What does a bird eat that looks like this?”

· Call local police.

· Put LOST PARROT posters along the main roads in and out of the area the bird was last seen, especially near intersections where people are driving slow or are stopping, in the local supermarkets, post office, and even let the fire department know.

· Place a LOST ad in your area craigslist and newspaper(s). If you offer a reward, it may increase the chances of your bird’s return. Post signs in local veterinarians’ offices, pet stores, and apartment bulletin boards (usually near the mailboxes areas). Have your kids post signs on the school’s bulletin board. Post signs anywhere you think they’ll be noticed. You may also wish to offer a reward as incentive for people to call.

· Check the classified section of the paper for “found” bird. Answer all ads. People are sometimes unaware of what they have found. A Congo African grey may be mistaken for the mythical red tailed pigeon by a helpful stranger who is unfamiliar with parrots.

· Contact your area animal rescue/shelters and have them put your bird on file. Make sure they have a way to contact you. Call them every few days to make sure you keep it fresh in their minds. Be sure to ask how long they keep a lost animal on file and be sure to call back and relist your bird if you’re still looking for him/her.

· Contact any local breeders and let them know about your lost bird. Again, sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash.

· Check with local nearby areas that may have people outdoors in the open such as golf courses and leave a flyer with them. Birds have been known to land on a golfer's head.

· Post on Facebook, it is a great tool for spreading the word

· Check Craigslist for FOUND, FREE, OR FOR SALE Birds. Sometimes people find birds and can’t keep them and then try to give them away or sell them.

On all posters/flyers, ads, etc., make sure you mention how your bird is family to you (and your children). Stress how much you care for your bird and it may help to persuade someone who may not initially intend on returning a found bird to contact you.

Tape a flyer on each side of your car’s back windows. Then, as you drive around looking for the bird and handing out flyers, people will see a rolling advertisement. People will notice and stop to ask. It is an especially good idea if you think your bird is still in the area.

Note: Don’t give out the bird’s band number. If your bird accidentally falls into the wrong hands this could lead to removal of the band.

Most of all, do not give up

The key to getting a bird back is doing the things you know have been successful getting birds back in the past. Avoid giving in to the idea that your bird was killed by a predator and is dead. Death by predation is very rare in these situations. Much more likely, the bird is sitting in a tree wondering why you have not come to get it yet. Or maybe it is in someone’s home already. Pet parrots often seek out human or bird companionship if and when they have a big flight adventure.

Additional tips for finding your lost parrot

AROUND HOME: Search for your bird in your neighborhood. During the first month, birds tend to stay within a one-mile radius of home. Spread the word to neighbors and neighborhood children that your bird has escaped and let them know what your bird looks like.

If you have any outside pets your bird doesn’t like or fear, be sure to bring them inside so they won’t scare your bird away.

AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD: Keep in touch with your neighbors. Make sure they know how to contact you if they even THINK they’ve heard or seen him/her.

It’s quite possible that once your bird gets hungry, s/he will go to any human. Make sure you post signs (at least in a one-mile radius near where your bird escaped) describing your bird and giving contact information.

Contact any and all bird rescues in your area.

Last edited:

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Hoping you find the babe! :heart:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
We've searched since the sighting with the crows... no luck
We drove around and looked too

I wonder where she got chased ;-;
We searched in the direction she was seen going but there's a lot of trees, tall trees and dense leaves all around the neighborhood
We just got back inside- I dont think we'll find her today :(

Haven had a chance to get flyers yet either

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
it's also been raining..

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If Pikachu will make noise and the weather isn't too inclement, try taking him/her out in a travel cage if you think Pepper will come down. I'm so sorry, I really hope she comes home.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I wish you the best of luck.

BeeBop

I hope you find her. At least you have spotted her. Since it's raining I bet she won't do too much flying and might just stay in one spot or at least in the area. Please don't give up! Sometimes birds have been found after a week or even longer.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch survived at least 3 days at close or below freezing at night and one day of wind and cold rain in there and each day as soon as he saw us he'd shake off and start eating the pollen and twigs in his tree. He seemed fine at that point so don't despair, she'll probably be fine for at least a bit. I knew exactly where he was, could see him with binoculars, and he most certainly could see and hear us and vocally reacted till dusk when he'd hunker down and go quiet and roost for the night. He'd run around the tree branches hiding from the wind and weather too as best he could.

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Its too cold and rainy fr Pikachu, he wont make flock calls for her outside.
I dont know where she is, making it so much harder. The only sighting was her and the crows at10am and it's now 2:03pm

I set the cage she flew out from in the driveway and sprinkled seed/pellets around it but Idon't think she'll fly this way and see it

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so sorry this happened, I'm praying that you're able to get her home. :sadhug2:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Go to where you last saw her and call her name, if she's awake and close enough she'll respond eventually. The first night Lurch was out we knew what tree he was in, just not exactly where but high up. We drove around to the house the tree was in early in the morning probably about 8am and called and called but no response. I was about to drive away about 45 minutes later when we heard a very quite question chirp, he'd been sleeping and hiding and hadn't heard us. Once he heard me he got very vocal and loud and we eventually drove around to the other side of the block where the front of the tree was and found him high up in the branches.
Once he knew we would come for him he would respond as soon as he heard our voices. Once he was scared away I had no clue where exactly he went so we drove around the area calling for him but he never answered again but as long as he knew we were around he called to us. You might just need to get out where you think she is now and call till she hears you and responds. IF she's not afraid to fly down with the right toys, foods and your calls she may come to you. Once it gets dusk she will roost for the night and stop calling or moving about but if she knows you'll come to her she may stay put if you find her then it's decide how to get her or safely coax her down. I climbed two fir trees and was probably 30 feet up in the last one but I have roof and heights tree climbing experience so was more then willing to risk it and had access to ladders and things.

BeeBop

If you haven't, you should put the cage/toys/treats in the area you last saw her. Chances are she hasn't flown too far unless she was extremely frightened. Keep calling her name and if she responds follow her calls. It might be helpful to take some treats with you when you are looking and when you hear her shake the bag. If you can see her throw some treats down on the ground and have some in your hand. If she does land on you or is within reach act very calmly and offer her a treat, don't run towards her or do anything to provoke her. If she is calm then you can put your hand over her and get her to safety. Again don't give up!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
3:38pm and despite Pikachu's flock calls, no response.
I think she may have been chased away from the area by the crows

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
We're going to print flyers and hope..