• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pedi-Perches

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I just received two of these perches for my budgie boys! They thought I was trying to kill them when I put them in the cage, lol! I targeted them to start using them in their travels about the cage...and I have already noticed a difference in the pointiness of their claws in the 4 days they've been installed :)
Wow thats so quick!

I don't know if my natural perches, sandpaper and pedi-perch have done their job but Preeno's nails aren't too long. Toes have been nicely flushed on a flat surface. They're still sharp on bare skin though but I'm not too bothered unless he tries to land on my face :shifty:

Dona

Avenue Spotlight Award
I put the pedi-perch in Gigi's cage maybe 2 weeks ago. I have moved it twice. She is continuing to avoid it. :(

Reactions: Ali

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I put the pedi-perch in Gigi's cage maybe 2 weeks ago. I have moved it twice. She is continuing to avoid it. :(
After a month or two I put monaco's between her food and water dishes. She climbed around it for a while. Now she seeks it out and massages her face on it! Keep faith! Gigi will probably try it eventually.

Vmax

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Vanessa
Can you post a picture of their nails so we can see just how long they are?

Sometimes a nail isn't long, it's just long looking. The pedi perches truly do help keep the tips in good shape.
I can't attach a photo at the moment. School year started and every moment of my time has been consumed trying to balance that with my birbs and spousal unit got a contract job in a city 4 hours drive from here. Good stuff, just overwhelmed. For reference, their nails meet the requirement that Zara mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I normally take them to the vet for pedicures when they need them, but haven't done that...thanks COVID:angry:. The nails touch but the first toe joint doesn't touch when they stand on a flat surface.

None of my other birds were OK with getting their nails trimmed so I would wait till they were hanging on the side of the cage and snip off the longest nail quickly before they scampered away. If I could safely hold them in place I'd grab em and snip it off quickly. I did over do Nerds nail once and I just dipped his toe in flour and that stopped the minor bleeding right away. It's really hard to see the vein with a black toenail. I usually try not to snip off too much at once to be safe.
I don't have to do it with Dobby has he keeps wearing them down with the various pedi perches he likes.
What sort of clipper are you using? I was staying away from human ones, since the nail structure is so different between humans and psittacines. I think my paranoia is a left over from when I worked as a vet tech (like back when the earth's crust was cooling) :rolleyes:. Also, I had Max and Gus in cages on my back patio doing some cage cleaning and sunning activities. Gus got his toe hung in a fabric perch and panicked. This scared me to death. I tried to help, but couldn't really open the cage safely and didn't feel like I could move it with him hanging upside down struggling like he was. Talk about feeling like the worst parront ever....:unsure1:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I can't attach a photo at the moment. School year started and every moment of my time has been consumed trying to balance that with my birbs and spousal unit got a contract job in a city 4 hours drive from here. Good stuff, just overwhelmed. For reference, their nails meet the requirement that Zara mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I normally take them to the vet for pedicures when they need them, but haven't done that...thanks COVID:angry:. The nails touch but the first toe joint doesn't touch when they stand on a flat surface.

What sort of clipper are you using? I was staying away from human ones, since the nail structure is so different between humans and psittacines. I think my paranoia is a left over from when I worked as a vet tech (like back when the earth's crust was cooling) :rolleyes:. Also, I had Max and Gus in cages on my back patio doing some cage cleaning and sunning activities. Gus got his toe hung in a fabric perch and panicked. This scared me to death. I tried to help, but couldn't really open the cage safely and didn't feel like I could move it with him hanging upside down struggling like he was. Talk about feeling like the worst parront ever....:unsure1:
They make small ones for birds that are like the cat and dog ones. I haven't seen it or used it in a long time but it worked fine if they held still long enough.

Reactions: Ali