• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pedi-Perches

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
I just received two of these perches for my budgie boys! They thought I was trying to kill them when I put them in the cage, lol! I targeted them to start using them in their travels about the cage...and I have already noticed a difference in the pointiness of their claws in the 4 days they've been installed :)
Wow thats so quick!

I don't know if my natural perches, sandpaper and pedi-perch have done their job but Preeno's nails aren't too long. Toes have been nicely flushed on a flat surface. They're still sharp on bare skin though but I'm not too bothered unless he tries to land on my face :shifty:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, make no mistake, they aren’t perfect....just less painful already :)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I put the pedi-perch in Gigi's cage maybe 2 weeks ago. I have moved it twice. She is continuing to avoid it. :(

Reactions: Ali

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I put the pedi-perch in Gigi's cage maybe 2 weeks ago. I have moved it twice. She is continuing to avoid it. :(
After a month or two I put monaco's between her food and water dishes. She climbed around it for a while. Now she seeks it out and massages her face on it! Keep faith! Gigi will probably try it eventually.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Can you post a picture of their nails so we can see just how long they are?

Sometimes a nail isn't long, it's just long looking. The pedi perches truly do help keep the tips in good shape.
I can't attach a photo at the moment. School year started and every moment of my time has been consumed trying to balance that with my birbs and spousal unit got a contract job in a city 4 hours drive from here. Good stuff, just overwhelmed. For reference, their nails meet the requirement that Zara mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I normally take them to the vet for pedicures when they need them, but haven't done that...thanks COVID:angry:. The nails touch but the first toe joint doesn't touch when they stand on a flat surface.

None of my other birds were OK with getting their nails trimmed so I would wait till they were hanging on the side of the cage and snip off the longest nail quickly before they scampered away. If I could safely hold them in place I'd grab em and snip it off quickly. I did over do Nerds nail once and I just dipped his toe in flour and that stopped the minor bleeding right away. It's really hard to see the vein with a black toenail. I usually try not to snip off too much at once to be safe.
I don't have to do it with Dobby has he keeps wearing them down with the various pedi perches he likes.
What sort of clipper are you using? I was staying away from human ones, since the nail structure is so different between humans and psittacines. I think my paranoia is a left over from when I worked as a vet tech (like back when the earth's crust was cooling) :rolleyes:. Also, I had Max and Gus in cages on my back patio doing some cage cleaning and sunning activities. Gus got his toe hung in a fabric perch and panicked. This scared me to death. I tried to help, but couldn't really open the cage safely and didn't feel like I could move it with him hanging upside down struggling like he was. Talk about feeling like the worst parront ever....:unsure1:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I can't attach a photo at the moment. School year started and every moment of my time has been consumed trying to balance that with my birbs and spousal unit got a contract job in a city 4 hours drive from here. Good stuff, just overwhelmed. For reference, their nails meet the requirement that Zara mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I normally take them to the vet for pedicures when they need them, but haven't done that...thanks COVID:angry:. The nails touch but the first toe joint doesn't touch when they stand on a flat surface.

What sort of clipper are you using? I was staying away from human ones, since the nail structure is so different between humans and psittacines. I think my paranoia is a left over from when I worked as a vet tech (like back when the earth's crust was cooling) :rolleyes:. Also, I had Max and Gus in cages on my back patio doing some cage cleaning and sunning activities. Gus got his toe hung in a fabric perch and panicked. This scared me to death. I tried to help, but couldn't really open the cage safely and didn't feel like I could move it with him hanging upside down struggling like he was. Talk about feeling like the worst parront ever....:unsure1:
They make small ones for birds that are like the cat and dog ones. I haven't seen it or used it in a long time but it worked fine if they held still long enough.

Reactions: Ali

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Hello all! :)

I would like to get one for my 4 yo Senegale but I do not know which size I should get for the hagen one.

If anyone can help thanks a lot!

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
It´s no secret that I am a huge fan of pedi-perches - but only certain ones. I just want to post a thread with some info, so that I can reference it in the future instead of posting the same info multiple times and missing important parts.
I stand by my pedi-perches, and only one of my birds ever had their nails cut (because she has a bad foot and can´t use the perch) - this is why I always recommend them, especially to those who have little birds as companions.

What is a Pedi-Perch?
A pedicure perch, usually cement, that files birds nails. They can also rub their beaks on the perch to file down their beaks. Because they are made of cement, they last a long time so you certainly get your moneys worth - just remember to wash them regularly with hot soapy water and allow to dry before replacing in the cage.

What important features should a Pedi-perch have?
It is important that the perch is not uniform (straight like a dowel), and that is has a smooth top edge. The smooth part lines up with our birds feet so that they do not get roughed up, the nails then touch the abrasive part.

How to use a pedi-perch?
It is important the smooth side faces up, and that the perch is not located up high being the highest perch in the cage.
Some people opt to put the pedi-perch on the cage door, or lower down. I put mine near swings and water bowls so that the birds hop on and hop off the perches. They won´t work as well if your bird just sits on the perch, you need some movement for the perch to be able to file. If you put the perch in, and it´s not working out (bird is sitting still on the perch or not stepping on it at all), then move it somewhere else.
It is important that you purchase the correct size for your bird.

Brands?
There are a few different brands that have these types of perch available.
I use Hagen, also known as Living World:
View attachment 345110 Pedi-perch

The brand Sweet Feet & Beak have two different ones, one is the same shape as the Hagen perch, the other is more a wonky branch shape:
View attachment 345109 Patented Safety perch
View attachment 345111 Patented Safety pumice perch

If there are other brands that make these types of perches, please post them below :)

Which size?

Hagen/Living world;
Extra small / mini, 11 cm (4 in) - Lovebirds, Budgies
Small, 16 cm (6 in) - Cockatiels
Medium, 20.5 cm (8 in) - Conures, Caiques
Large, 34 cm (13 in) - Small Cockatoo, Amazon, African Grey
Jumbo / XL, 35 cm (13.5 in) - Large Cockatoo, Macaw
*Note: Bird feet should wrap 2/3 around the perch and should not meet or overlap.*

Sweet Feet & Beak;
X-Small - Finches, Canaries, Small budgies, Lovebirds
Small - Conures, Lories, Cockatiels
Medium - Pionus, Small Cockatoos, Timneh Greys
Large - African Grey, Amazons
X-Large - Cockatoos, Macaws
Measurements in inches;
View attachment 345108

Where to buy them?
(There will be more places that sell them, these are just some links I have found)

USA;
Sweet Feet and Beak Comfort Grip Safety Perch for Bird Cages - Patented Pumice Perch for Birds to Keep Nails and Beaks in Top Condition - Safe, Non-Toxic, Easy to Install Bird Cage Accessories
Sweet Feet and Beak Safety Pumice Perch for Birds Features Real Pumice to Trim Nails and Beak and Promote Healthy Feet - Safe and Non-Toxic, for Bird Cages

UK;

Europe;

Canada;

Australia;

India;

UAE;

Additional
Remember it is important to also offer natural branches of various sizes to help keep your birds feet and nails in good condition. And provide wooden toys to chew to help care for their beak.
Remember, they may not work for everyone, and it is also important to get that positioning right in the cage so that the bird uses it.

How to check if your birds nails need trimmed; click here

Please, feel free to post your experiences with pedicure perches, or any other info or input :)
Thank you for this guide. I never used pedi-perch before because I thought it was textures on all sides and I didn't want my birds to get sore feet. Thank you for clarifying this for me. I did get some flagstone perches and put then on the door, I'm hoping they help keep toenails trimmed.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Thank you I wonder if conure and senegal have approximately the same size. From some pictures it seems so.
Senegal are a little bit bigger than green cheek conures so I think medium is fine just make sure if you get them it had a soft surface where the feet goes ad the rest for the pedi perch I hope that makes sense

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
Senegal are a little bit bigger than green cheek conures so I think medium is fine just make sure if you get them it had a soft surface where the feet goes ad the rest for the pedi perch I hope that makes sense
It makes sense thank you so much for the information I hope it will work and I will manage to get him to walk on it ;)