• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MChiper

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a Parrot soon and I'd like all your suggestions! :)

I have owned Parrots before, but unfortunately had to give them up when I moved here (to Ireland) from South Africa. I had a Congo African Grey (female) and Sun Conure (male).
I lived in a freestanding house then, so noise wasn't an issue with neighbours.

My situation now:
* living in apartment
* going to college/university next year (will be taking bird with me)
* working full-time job until leaving for college
* plenty of time in evenings (from 6pm) to spend with pets
* plan on harness training so can bring parrot into work sometimes (allowed) / take to places with me on weekends

I'd like your suggestions on Birds that are: cuddly/affectionate, apartment friendly, ok with being alone during the day while at work, happy to hang out around me/on my shoulder when I am a student and studying.

I did some research into the following parrots:
* Pionus (specifically, White-Capped, Blue-Headed, and Maximilian)
* Senegal Parrots
* Meyer's Parrot

Do you think one of them would be a good choice?
Please let me know your own experience with these Parrot types.
Also let me know what other Parrots you'd think would suit me and my lifestyle :)

Disclaimer: I know that it depends on individual birds and their own personalities, I'm just asking about the general characteristics most common in the type of Parrot.

Thank you!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As tempting as it is to get a bird now, I suggest perhaps waiting until you go to university and see how that goes. I don't know if you will have student housing, etc. but I know often here it is difficult if not impossible to take a bird to college with you. Also, will you have roommates? Because that can complicate things too. I have limited experience with the birds that you listed. I'm sure others will comment that know better than me. Cockatiels are pretty laid back birds though and may be something to consider.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would advise against getting a bird just before going to university. I'm afraid I don't have time to write a full response, but here's a response I gave someone else. I don't know if you're entering university as an 18/19 year old or as a mature student, but hopefully this is useful. I'ma university lecturer so am very familiar with student life, and I know the kind of pressures they experience at university.

As I'm sure you're aware, parrots are expensive to look after - expensive vet bills, needing to chew and destroy stuff, giving them a good diet. I would have definitely struggled to pay a £400 vet bill when I was a student!

Most university students live in shared housing. This means that even if they themselves are responsible, they may have a housemate who uses teflon-based non-stick pans, burns incense/candles, uses air freshener etc and in doing so, will harm a bird's sensitive respiratory system. It only takes one person to forget to close a window and the bird escapes. I know various students whose housemates have accidentally set things on fire in a number of ways, including irresponsible use of incense, putting things that shouldn't be microwaved in the microwave, burning food and so on. This is not a safe environment for a bird!

Many students live in a hall of residence in their first year; these usually have a strict "no pets" policy. Many landlords do not allow pets due to potential damage/noise, and would be especially wary of letting students have a pet. When flat-hunting, I had to try several different letting agents before finding one that didn't automatically refuse to let to me because of Leia. She's actually in the terms of my lease because I want it in writing. I'm having to move to a different city for work, and flat-hunting if you have a pet is really difficult.

Student life is both demanding and exciting. Depending on your course, you may do fieldwork and spend extended amounts of time outside the university. You will have lectures and seminars, and will be expected to put in hours in the library, in the lab and/or on practical activities. Many universities have exciting student societies - these offer amazing opportunities to develop new skills and make new friends. The university I work at has everything from student radio/newspapers to archery to music groups to rewilding to mountaineering. Events usually take place in the evenings after lectures and seminars. This can make it really hard to juggle a bird's need for time outside the cage with your needs.

Life after university can often be unpredictable - you may find yourself moving a lot, sharing flats/houses with people and working unpredictable or long hours. It can be very unstable and stressful.

Personally, I think it's good to go and have fun as a young adult - it's a period in your life where you don't have as many responsibilities and you can be spontaneous. Enjoy it! You can take up new hobbies, develop new interests, make new friends. If you fancy going to visit a new city or go on a trip, you can do so. My students get up to all sorts of interesting things, from singing and dance competitions to student journalism to running the LGBTQ+ group. If you have a parrot as a student, there is a pretty good chance that you will either end up spending less time with the parrot than it needs, or end up resenting the parrot for all of the things you can't do because you need to take care of it. Resentment is an awful thing to have in a relationship.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Hey. I have experience with all the birds you listed. They're all great birds, but after reading your situation I cannot recommend any to you in good conscience. Don't get a bird before you leave for university. Please, please. Focus on your school, then come back to reconsider the idea of getting a parrot after graduation if it is still something you would like to do.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We have very wise bird people responding. I know it's not what you wanted to hear. I agree with what has been said. You have many years in front of you. No need to be in a hurry to make a very long commitment.