• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overgrown Nails

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
My GCC's nails are pretty overgrown. I've noticed when she walks (especially on flat surfaces) she's pretty much walking on her nails. I haven't been able to find a groomer/vet in the area that's willing to clip her nails (her regular vet is 2 hours away), and clipping her nails at home is a very stressful (for both of us) and painful (for me) process, so unfortunately I've just let the problem get away from me. I tried clipping some a few weeks ago. She has black nails and it's hard to see the quicks, so I started by clipping the smallest bit I could, but she started bleeding on the first nail, which has never happened before. I applied Miracle Care Kwik Stop Styptic Powder and she's all fine now. I was looking at her in the sunlight just earlier, and am I right in thinking the quicks are all the way to the end of her nail? Most of them haven't been clipped in months, so I'm unsure how to clip them and get the quicks to recede. Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If you’re worried about clipping them then maybe you can firmly hold the toe and file them down instead?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking at your photos I can see the quick. I had my own in house dog grooming for many years & I can tell you black nails are the hardest to judge where to clip. I would just take the very tip off. Look at a ruler & cut no more than 1/16 -1/8 inch off an inch at best. Then using a emery board ( I use the ones for acrylic nails-see photo below) file the end smooth. You also want to hold the nail when clipping & filing, so it doesn't move. You could wrap your bird in a towel, lay on your lap & just pull a foot out, hold it, clip, do the next one.

I would suggest these type of clippers & files: There are many different brands available. You should be able to find these at Walmart or a local pet store. If not then on line by searching for dog or cat nail clippers. The the larger (orange handles) one would be more for medium to large parrots nails. The smaller one is a nail clipper for cats & should work for smaller species of birds nails. Using people nail clippers do not give you as much visibility, often pinch the nail & do not work as well. The nail files are course on one side & medium on the other side. Start with the course side for a few swipes then smooth off with the medium side, while holding the nail so it doesn't move.

1683623487180.png 1683623526173.png 1683623683388.png