• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Olive Oil? Looking for Foods that Promote Strong and Healthy Feathers

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
My bird has a problem. He enjoys ((trying)) to fly. He was cared for improperly at his breeder and his feathers were cut off his wings in a very sloppy manner. In short, he can't fly. He finds jumping off his cage and flapping rapidly to be a good past time. Unfortunately for him, that hasn't been doing his feathers well. Every single feather that has tried to grow back in has been cracked and/or broken by his splatting on the ground. I always try my best to catch him, but I don't always make it. Which brings me to my question.

What foods are best to feed to promote strong and healthy feathers? Olive oil is very rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for feathers (according to a quick Google search) but is very high in fat in general so I didn't know if that was safe to offer. Any great food options that you know of would be great!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pellets and chop :)

I would not do Olive Oil. Biggest things that parrots need to be healthy are a moderate amount of protein, calcium, vitamin d3, and vitamin A. If you want Omega 3s, good sources are Nutriberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts and brussel sprouts. The only oil I feed is Red Palm Oil - for the Vitamin A.

Pellets for Parrots

My Chop "Recipe"

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Pellets and chop :)

I would not do Olive Oil. Biggest things that parrots need to be healthy are a moderate amount of protein, calcium, vitamin d3, and vitamin A. If you want Omega 3s, good sources are Nutriberries, chia seeds, hemp seeds, walnuts and brussel sprouts. The only oil I feed is Red Palm Oil - for the Vitamin A.

Pellets for Parrots

My Chop "Recipe"
Well, I'm already feeding him those things so I guess I'll continue doing that! His staple diet is a nutriberry and veggie chop.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't personally like nutriberries as the main diet, mostly because I have never had a parrot eat the whole thing so I am biased :lol: It can take a long time for the body to repair itself. My Jardines that I got in August is still underweight and at times poorly because of 19 years of a seed only diet.

Regardless, it can take 6 to 18 months for enough feathers to grow back to achieve flight depending on when they were clipped in relation to their molt cycle.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
I don't personally like nutriberries as the main diet, mostly because I have never had a parrot eat the whole thing so I am biased :lol: It can take a long time for the body to repair itself. My Jardines that I got in August is still underweight and at times poorly because of 19 years of a seed only diet.

Regardless, it can take 6 to 18 months for enough feathers to grow back to achieve flight depending on when they were clipped in relation to their molt cycle.
I've had great luck with them. He absolutely loves them and from what I've seen, eats most of it. It helps if you put them in their food dish, he eats it over his so any of the little pieces will just fall back into the dish.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had great luck with them. He absolutely loves them and from what I've seen, eats most of it. It helps if you put them in their food dish, he eats it over his so any of the little pieces will just fall back into the dish.

Mine have always just eaten the seeds off and then absolutely ignore the rest, even if I leave them there for days at a time. In bowls, foragers, on the table, on a platform perch, or on the floor :) that's over 7 years of trying among 5 birds. So like I said, lots of experience with them not being eaten completely. I feel much better with pellets that deliver the same exact nutrition in every bite regardless of how much they eat or discard.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If your bird was not fed a good diet and he's eating one for you, be prepared for extra molting as new feathers bloom like wildflowers.

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
If your bird was not fed a good diet and he's eating one for you, be prepared for extra molting as new feathers bloom like wildflowers.
Yes! I've noticed so many tiny feathers being shed, it's just those poor flight and tail feathers that I wish would come in all the way. Currently working on a plan with my vet to keep him from damaging them.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes! I've noticed so many tiny feathers being shed, it's just those poor flight and tail feathers that I wish would come in all the way. Currently working on a plan with my vet to keep him from damaging them.

Those typically take the longest. Is your bird damaging them? I missed that and will reread your op.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Ok, sorry I missed that. Will he step up? Is he comfortable with you? If yes, I recommend stepping him up and gently placing your thumb over his feet; gently move your hand up and down and verbally encourage him to fly. You could also try to provide some cushioning to protect his feathers, maybe some blankets or pillows around his cage?

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Ok, sorry I missed that. Will he step up? Is he comfortable with you? If yes, I recommend stepping him up and gently placing your thumb over his feet; gently move your hand up and down and verbally encourage him to fly. You could also try to provide some cushioning to protect his feathers, maybe some blankets or pillows around his cage?
Yes he will step up but that's about it.. he won't let me touch him or anything. I was thinking about putting some sort of mesh around his cage so it will act like a safety net. The mesh would be small enough that his feet and toes wouldn't get stuck in it. Thanks for the ideas, if he ever trusts me enough to let me touch him I will try it!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yes he will step up but that's about it.. he won't let me touch him or anything. I was thinking about putting some sort of mesh around his cage so it will act like a safety net. The mesh would be small enough that his feet and toes wouldn't get stuck in it. Thanks for the ideas, if he ever trusts me enough to let me touch him I will try it!

When he steps up, put your thumb over his feet and gently start moving your hand up and down, encouraging him to flap.