• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New IRN Help (Feathers & behaviour)

Mehul93

Moving in
Hi,

So I brought home a IRN 2 days ago, have him in his cage which has ample room for him to grow into.

I know he's still getting used to the new environment and will take time to build trust but whenever I go near he cage he starts to fly across his cage. He does the same when I go to change his food and water and only put my hand in the cage once a morning to do that. I currently sit next to him while working and speak to him/ or out loud so he gets used to my voice. He currently spend most of his time perched on the left hand side ontop of the food bowl, he doesn't move around his cage much like he did when I first got him. He has toys in the cage so it's not like there's nothing to keep him distracted.

I was wondering is there anything else I could do to calm him down when I try change the food?

Also in terms of food he's currently on fresh fruit/veg and a 1/4 cup of seed mix. I've been looking around and seen that the seed mix isn't as nutritionally balanced, so I have ordered ZuPreem 230353 Natural Medium Bird Food. I've heard a fair amount of reviews saying they have had good results with their IRN taking them.

I want to try bathe him aswell, but again getting near his cage standing is an issue. Would a bowl of water at the bottom of his cage work? Misting again would cause issues.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Mehul93

Moving in
Hi,

So I brought home a IRN 2 days ago, have him in his cage which has ample room for him to grow into.

I know he's still getting used to the new environment and will take time to build trust but whenever I go near he cage he starts to fly across his cage. He does the same when I go to change his food and water and only put my hand in the cage once a morning to do that. I currently sit next to him while working and speak to him/ or out loud so he gets used to my voice. He currently spend most of his time perched on the left hand side ontop of the food bowl, he doesn't move around his cage much like he did when I first got him. He has toys in the cage so it's not like there's nothing to keep him distracted.

I was wondering is there anything else I could do to calm him down when I try change the food?

Also in terms of food he's currently on fresh fruit/veg and a 1/4 cup of seed mix. I've been looking around and seen that the seed mix isn't as nutritionally balanced, so I have ordered ZuPreem 230353 Natural Medium Bird Food. I've heard a fair amount of reviews saying they have had good results with their IRN taking them.

I want to try bathe him aswell, but again getting near his cage standing is an issue. Would a bowl of water at the bottom of his cage work? Misting again would cause issues.

Also want to add that his tail feathers have this white stuff on it, again I guess this is because he can't bate himself? Any ideas?

Attachments

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Also want to add that his tail feathers have this white stuff on it, again I guess this is because he can't bate himself? Any ideas?
The only option for now is to give him time and let him get used to you, try offering treats or drop it in his bowl.

as for the tail, is it the urate? How old is he? Sometimes Zazu gets his tail stained with it, but not all over,usually once spot that goes with the shower. I think a bowl with water is the best option for now since you don’t know which method he prefers and spray/mist involve too much you in the picture, we don’t want him to be scared even more than he is now :)