• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New BN babies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...she'll get her tail washed....it is nice and long. Have a safe trip.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Pinks babies are growing like weeds! One of them tries to look ferocious when I have the camera to take a pix. Belle has turned into a needy mouser since Little Bit is gone and wants to be snuggled more...LOL

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They look so cute! I love the third picture!

Matt

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Last night the parents didn't sleep in the nest with the babies. it was warm enough outside so they were fine. It is also a sign that they may want to fledge and wean them.

Today one adventerous one left the nest. I couldn't find it, and then seen an extra head in Rubys nest.

Tomorrow I'll band them and get feathers for sexing to confirm if they are both females. If so, the parents will be weaning them out and they will be going to SeaWorld, Discovery Cove to live in exchange for some Speckled mousebirds.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Susanne that third picture just made my day.

Pay attention to me....I am hungry over here.:hehe:

Off to Seaworld, wow thats great!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
LOL...Kristy...I just put the little visitor back in it's own nest and Mommy and Daddy went down and joined it. Rubys eggs are due to hatch and the little visitors parents were also trying to get in the nest. That little one was the ferocious baby...and is quite the charactor :) It watches everything that goes on.

I have been having a hard time finding anyone with Speckled and thought I would ask Sherry at SeaWorld about a trade. They needed some BN and WB females.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is great that they are willing to do a trade with you! It is not only good for you but all of aviculture (especially those of us who may want one in the future)!

Matt

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Thanks Matt. I am excited that they are willing to do a trade. My Bn parents are wild caught imports which is new bloodlines for any captive bred Bn in the US. And I have several bloodlines of WB, and once I know their birds backgrounds I can also select unrelated hens.

Speckled are the largest of all the mousebird species. They would be about a third in weight more than the BN.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I can't get over how cute they are...

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
When people contact you for Mousebirds, do you ship them? How popular are they in the general public arena? I had never heard of them as pets or seen them in stores. I discovered them on this forum.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi...the general public has never heard of mousebirds. Many times I get contacted from people have developed allergies to dander and mousebird is a great dander free bird. Or from others looking for a quiet friendly pet bird. They are rarely seen in stores because there are only a few breeders. And stores don't want to handle them because the fruit and greens only diet is alot of work for them. Just about all my mousebirds have been shipped by airlines. It is fast and safe and they travel well.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Trip to Sea World means....a visit to Carole's..:dancing:

southernbirds

I hope to see a Mousebird in person one of these days. Are you considered one of the foremost authorities on Mousebirds in the country? I would think that there are very few breeders. I always enjoy your narratives about your birds.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Are you considered one of the foremost authorities on Mousebirds in the country?
Susanne gets my vote.:highfive: People come here to speak to her, from Africa...where they are from!

southernbirds

That is incredible, Carole. How did you come to discover Mousebirds and Susanne?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I had heard of Mousebirds here and there.. very little..
They always sounded intriguing. Then Susanne joined and posted this thread~ http://forums.avianavenue.com/softbill-circle/5569-mousebirds.html
I soon realized Susanne was an amazing woman, and her mousebirds are fascinating, endearing, loveable, quiet, cuddly, and adorable. Her husband Kirby calls them "the perfect bird". Susanne found them after becoming ill due to cockatiel dander. Mousebirds have no dander. If you read her research and documentation about cockatiels you realize that she puts her whole self into whatever bird she cares for.:)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Are you considered one of the foremost authorities on Mousebirds in the country?
-------------------------------------------

LOL...thanks, but no. There have been people working with mousebirds 15-20 years before I ever heard of them, and have more experience. I am just more observant because I am home all day and love to just watch and learn from the birds, and like to take digital documentation of them. I am the only one though that has learned that with the Blue-naped mousebird species can visually be sexed when young and feathered.

This morning I went to give the morning banana to the mousebirds and found the 2 BN exploring. I told Kirby they'll probably wean themselves before the ones I'm handfeeding are weaned...LOL

Attachments

Last edited:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The little brats moved into the other nest. The orange on the back of the one is hightlighter. When I tried to band the band wouldn't stay on and I marked it for reference of the band # for sexing.

Carole...while at Publix I am always on the look-out for new fruits. They had this strange thing there. It tastes strange...like a gritty very bland papaya, and has a astringent affect (drying) in the mouth. The Red-faced pounced on it, chowing down. I gave the 3 weaning brats a thin slice and they are nibbling on it. Iasked the produce man at Publix and he said people use the fruit for milk shakes and homemade ice-cream.

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
First I just have to say we are honored to have you here with us on AA Susanne. :hug8:

Then I just have to say look at those Mousebirds exploring and going for food. They sure have good appetities that's for sure.

How is Chubs this morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.