• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need Help!

Bur

Moving in
Hi, My blue fronted amazon(Merlin)suffered for a month of extreme illness hospitalized, oxygen, and is now home. Doctors has engaged in a process of elimination (test, procedures, exrays, observations, near death, supportive care), parrot presented with extreme respitory difficulty. Fast forward... no fungus ever detected bacteria free after a month of antibiotics,
Now on anti-inflammatory, antihistamine and is still showing respitory stress what is going on...doctors can not give me an answer?

Attachments

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How old is Merlin? How long have you had him? Most important - has he ever been housed with a dusty bird like an African Grey, Cockatiel, Cockatoo?

Was Merlin tested for aspergillosis? Ask your vets if Merlin might have Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome (which is the result of being housed with dusty birds.)

Welcome to AA. Hopefully your little guy gets better soon.

Bur

Moving in
Hi, Merlin is 17 years old, through all of this i have learned that Merlin is a girl! She was actually had scoping prosedure to assess if she had aspergillosis legions (ovaries reveled) as well as blood test, than a trachea wash to test for other fungus I have had her since she was two (no other birds in the home).
I do not use beding in the bottom of the cage, the Doctor feels the initial problem started with chemical exposure, but has not as of yet come up with a diagnosis for the ongoing problem.

Bur

Moving in
The last exray showed inflammation in the trachea even the though cultures resulting from the trachea wash did not grow bacteria or fungus. I have scheduled to have a white blood test in 6 days, that will be approximately 9 days after the last dose of antibiotics.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is no better test for Asper than a laproscopy. If you have had her for 15 years with no other birds PHS is very unlikely.

My 24 year old Jasper (GW) has congestive heart disease, damaged lungs and atherosclerosis. For the last 12/13 years she has had one hour of oxygen in the morning and one hour in the evening. It has been very helpful for her. Here's a picture;
Oxygen Box_1_1.JPG

Oxygen_04.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How are her airsacs - are they clear and are her lungs clear?

Maybe just some nebulization with medication will help her out.

Bur

Moving in
Wow...that looks like a great set up. When she was hospitalized the cost was out of sight! I began to contemplate an oxygen set up, the Doctor said she would give me a prescription for oxygen, but she doubted i would be able to get it filled. I am happy she(Merlin)is still fighting but I am so sad she may never be completely healthy again. Thank you for responding and sharing...mabe I need to purse oxygen...by the way all organs free of apperent disease
airsacks, lungs, liver and heart.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you get a nebulizer get a devillbus they are the best, because they make the liquid tiny enough to do the job. You probably wouldn't even need a prescription for oxygen - I didn't. You would buy the oxygen concentrator off the internet and the tub at Walmart.

This is the concentrator I bought. I bought it reconditioned. You don't really need a new one because you won't use it nearly as much as a hospital would.
Devilbiss 525ds Oxygen Concentrator

Hope your baby gets better really soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your BFA will be better soon. Sending positive thoughts for Merlin.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Do you have any idea what the chemical exposure the doctor was referring to could be?

Bur

Moving in
I am uncertain but the most likely exposure is related to roofing adhesive product. I have noticed other threads disscusing parrot food allergies, is it likely that peanuts or more specifically peanut hulls can aggravate respitory problems? Some days I cannot seem to get Merlin to eat much more than bananas, she will eat nutraberries some days and chicken bones, as well as black beans (on goods days other foods as well), but she always accepts bananas. I gave her peanuts just to keep her eating yesterday and I feel like it caused an event (will not do that again). Any suggestions on foods parrots cannot resist ...it seems many of her favorites are no longer appealing. I have tried mashing other foods with bananas and she wants no parts if it.

Bur

Moving in
Thank you! Her personality is even more winning than her looks!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope Merlin get better soon.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
sub peanuts with almonds

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
I am uncertain but the most likely exposure is related to roofing adhesive product. I have noticed other threads disscusing parrot food allergies, is it likely that peanuts or more specifically peanut hulls can aggravate respitory problems? Some days I cannot seem to get Merlin to eat much more than bananas, she will eat nutraberries some days and chicken bones, as well as black beans (on goods days other foods as well), but she always accepts bananas. I gave her peanuts just to keep her eating yesterday and I feel like it caused an event (will not do that again). Any suggestions on foods parrots cannot resist ...it seems many of her favorites are no longer appealing. I have tried mashing other foods with bananas and she wants no parts if it.
Almonds and pistachios are faves at my house... As is anything I might be eating. Try some cooked sweet potato - mine only eat it with gusto if I'm standing there giving it to them on a fork but they'll eat as much as I offer! Same with other squashes like butternut or acorn. Sugar snap peas also go over well. You might have to open them to show her what's inside if she's not familiar. Birdie bread, of course, is generally gobbled up so you might make some packed with good for her stuff - if she eats pellets, you can crush up pellets and bake them in as well to add some nutrients... Um, maybe puree some veggies and spread on a healthy cracker if she likes crunchy stuff?

I hope the vet finds some answers for you! Recently went through a mystery illness with one of my ekkies. It's NOT fun.