• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds in apartment?

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
Hello!
I am going through a mad research stage right now! That's the reason I haven't been posting for a long time: lots to do- no time at all! Sigh.
:meh:
The main concerns are these: the bird must be cockatiel-size or smaller, and quiet enough for an apt! I would like a hookbill rather than a finch though, so that makes it two species less (no Canaries, no Finches ! )

Help please!
:bliss:

Ok, let me explain about my situation better! So I have researched the species and here are the birds I am considering:

:tiel6:cockatiel!

:budgie2:budgie ! (maybe)

:bpflb:Lovebirds! (my favourite out of all!)

:parrotletgreenhen:parrotlet!

If I could completely IGNORE the noise problem (which, I assure you, I cannot :sad8:) I would definitely pick the lovebirds- I adore lovies and really, really want them! They are so funny and sweet :swoon:

But we live in an apartment- sad really :( limits the birds we can get!

Our apt is a kind-of good-hearing one.... for example, you cannot hear televisions but you CAN hear shouting... Our neighbours on the left are nice, and unlikely to complain- but I know nothing of the ones on the right! I have met them twice in my life, once when they returned from shopping and once when they were watering flowers!

:smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::smileflower::loveshower:

I DO know that they have a pet bunny though :)''

Can I get lovies in an apartment like mine? Help please!

The cage will be on a desk 70 cm by 110 cm, by the way.

Please help me I am worried!

P.S the reason I don't want finches is that I want a bird to handle!

Thanks for the help! :AArocks:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Any conure is going to be noisy, albeit GCC tend to be good for apartments so long as they have sufficient OUT of cage time and are not lonely! I'm sure that Love Birds are similar in nature as well! Good luck with your search!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Lovies are make some noise but are not much to drive you up the walls but they do have a screech that can be a bit loud at times. And when they want your attention they can be very demanding of it and will let you know loud and clear. I don't think it would be to hard to have one in an apt. If you keep them on a good sleep schedule you should have no issues as long as they don't work nights and you don't keep your bird next the wall of your neighbors apt.

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Thanks so much for your replies! I think I will research lovies and how to manage noise and not encourage bad habits, and consider getting two Fischer Lovebirds- they are the relatively quiet ones, I have read!

I will continue looking into cockatiels though... Between Lovebirds and Cockatiels, which do you think are quieter?

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
In my opinion if "noise" is an issue....an bird may not be a good fit. Regardless of "what" species you get...theyll make noise. No guarentee that a budgie will be quieter or less noisey than a lovie or vise versa because they are all individuals. For instance I dont think happy is very noisy or loud...she has her morning let me sing the song of my people moment (30 mins tops) and the occasional screechy banchee day. But for the most part she is pretty quiet on the lovie scale. My mom has 2 budgies that NEVER SHUT UP. Some would argue volume level....i can turn the tv all the way up and the budgies only get louder. Happy... I can hear the tv just fine even on her more vocal days.

That said....if you want a bird you can hold and pet ect...you generally cant go wrong with a male lovie (although there are exceptions on that).

Ive never owned a tiel or a parrolet so i cannot advise there, but id think if you were to get a single male lovie , he would do fine in an apartment. @fluffypoptarts has 6 in an apartment and I dont think shes had any complaints.

lunasalix

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would ask your neighbors about it first and make sure that they are 100% ok with hearing pretty much constant chirping. My old roommate actually encouraged me to get my first 2 lovies, then promptly decided he couldn't stand the noise and threatened to either kick me out or make me get rid of them. I ended up moving. All birds are going to make a lot of noise, so your neighbors just have to be comfortable with it before you decide to bring any species home.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I recommend going to a rescue or pet place and meeting birds. You won't know what fits with you until you meet them- and keep in mind that every bird is an individual. I originally though 'tiels were the bird for me- but then I met GCC and knew they were the bird for me. :)
I personally recommend green cheek conures, but I may be biased :lol: Grumbles is very quiet- even being a male. And I love his personality:heart:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never checked with my neighbors about whether they were okay with my lovies, nor have I had any complaints. As others said, I have 6 lovies, 2 girls and 4 boys.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also recommend Peachfaced lovies as they tend to be more friendly and affectionate (braver, more social with humans).

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Fischer's are a lot more work depending on the type of ring-eye you get. Ours is not one to be handled and he is very vocal and loves to sing all day long and gets really loud when his favorite tv shows come on or when I walk by his cage... his way of telling me off. Peachies are the way to go for temperament.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I also recommend Peachfaced lovies as they tend to be more friendly and affectionate (braver, more social with humans).
Deff agree here. Most (not all) other species of lovies tend to be more skittish. There are exceptions but for the most part male peachies are the way to go for cuddle/enjoys touch . its not saying a female cant be cuddle for instance @Ankou lovely. Female peanut loves cuddles. And its not to say all males are cuddly. Its just 9 out of 10 type of odds. And there are a couple really sweet fishers on here that are more hand friendly.
Mostly if your wanting a compainion pet you want to go play with each of the birds your considering and see what pulls your heartsstrings. I wanted a green male peachie lovebird and when my first choice unnexpextedly passed away...i was given a female lutino lovie and shes been the best little bird and such a great "fit" with my home.

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
A female cockatiel is also more likely to be quiet aside from flock calls. My male tiels are loud... in volume and frequency. They scream for the heck of it. :D

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I've both a lovebird and a budgie in my bachelors apartment and have yet to hear a single complaint. In fact, my building superintendent jokingly told me that he reassures people that they're hearing domesticated birds as opposed to wild ones having found a way in the building when he shows the room next to mine. That being said, the birds are completely silent for 12-13 hours a day and aren't the absolute noisiest for the times I'm with them during the day. I know for a fact that they get rowdy during the day but most people are at work anyway.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I have both a cockatiel and lovebird and with them my lovie is for sure the louder one. He tends to chatter in the mornings quite a bit and it can be a bit high-pitched. My cockatiel on the other hand has her loud moments, but it's nothing on Kumo's pitch. I have a GCC though, so it doesn't bother me too much.:lol:

Every bird in my opinion has the ability to be quite loud. But I would personally recommend a cockatiel, the one's I've met have just been much quieter compared to the lovies.
Good luck finding the bird for you! :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In my experience, cockatiels tend to sound off more often and be more shrill than lovebirds~

Masquerade

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I have an Indian Ringneck, a lovebird and a cockatiel and they do vary quite a bit in terms of noise. Noisiest is my ringneck, he talks a lot and tends to have his screeching moments and I definitely wouldn't recommend one for an apartment! My lovebird is pretty quiet. He can get a little chatty, but it's pretty quiet, and he peeps sometimes (generally right into my ear), but I wouldn't say he was loud. My cockatiel is quiet most of the time, but sometimes she'll hear something and do a bit of screeching. Other than that she does the odd whistle. She's generally fairly quiet, too. I've had budgies in the past and while I wouldn't say they were screechy and shrill, they do tend to chatter almost all of the time. I had five at once and could never hear the TV over them, lol. One on its own would probably be pretty quiet, though.

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
I wouldn't think a lovebird, cockatiel, budgie or any other smaller sized birds would be unfit for an apartment. I have Red bellied parrots and think they too would be suitable for apartment living because they tend to just talk and whistle and are not loud at all.

I also think some locations of people seem to be more accepting and tolerating of birds and bird noises- tropical states such as Florida, California, Hawaii come to mind.

Petro

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Petro
My experience cockatiel was noisy; and constantly! My lovie I'd take anywhere and am certain he/she won't be noisy. That being said, I think I'm blessed with a really chilled lovie noise wise