• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a specific bird person

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Howdy all,

Looking to get some input from those of you that decided to take the plunge (as I am getting ready to do) and get into birds having no prior experience. In other words, I am looking to hear back from those of you that never owned a bird growing up, no one in your family has ever owned a bird, and no one else really close to you has owned a bird. Just someone who for years liked birds, but never had considered bringing one home. Then suddenly one day you realize, "Hey, I should look into parrot ownership" and did tons of research and finally jumped in. I am curious how your experience has been. Specifically regarding the following:

1. What were your top 3 fears/hesitations about bird ownership before you brought your first bird home and importantly, how did you feel after the fact?

2. What surprised you shortly after taking the plunge and bringing a bird home? Perhaps something you didn't expect from all your research?

3. How drastic did you alter your life style around the bird? What did you change most?

4. If you could do it all over again, what would you do differently and why?

5. Do you have any regrets, and if so, what are they?

Also, tell me what your first bird species was and what your age was at the time (if you don't mind). I guess I am probably a little more interested in those who started out after they were already independent as there is much more to consider regarding pet ownership when you don't have parents to fall back on.

Thank you everyone for your continued support!

PS. No I do not have any visitor fids yet.

PSS. No, still not ready to take the official plunge yet for multiple reasons: Still not 100% ready to jump in. On waiting list for Caique. Still have not fostered yet to see if lifestyle is right for me. Caiques are expensive as are vet bills so need to financially prep. Lastly, have not even started collecting bird stuff yet. Need to renew health insurance too haha before adding a living can opener to house.

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
1. What were your top 3 fears/hesitations about bird ownership before you brought your first bird home?

Bird would never like me
Bird. Poop. Everywhere.
General hazards around the home

2. What surprised you shortly after taking the plunge and bringing a bird home? Perhaps something you didn't expect from all your research?

How quickly George accepted me. On the first night home he didn't want to go in his cage but he wanted to cuddle and hang out. He was making the "I'm happy" senegal noise (Prrr Prrr) and holding his wing out for me

3. How drastic did you alter your life style around the bird? What did you change most?

Very drastically. I don't leave home unless necessary because I don't want George to get lonely or frustrated. What probably changed the most was that I used to have Teflon pans, wear cologne, burn incense, and occasionally smoke inside with the windows open. All that had to change.

I would have done more research on unsafe parrot toys before getting George. He had some plastic and rope toys at first and these can be hazardous

Sometimes I miss being able to come and go as I please, go on trips to Ottawa to see my friend there, and generally being able to sleep all day on weekends if I felt like it. Stuff like that. I don't regret getting George at all though. I just miss my freedom sometimes.

Also, tell me what your first bird species was and what your age was at the time (if you don't mind). I guess I am probably a little more interested in those who started out after they were already independent as there is much more to consider regarding pet ownership when you don't have parents to fall back on.

I got George, a Senegal parrot, when he was 4 months and I was 25 years old. I do not recommend getting a parrot if you are not an adult and a responsible person who is willing to make sacrifices for the better of the parrot.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Fantastic reply! Thank you @theocnoob. Can you add/edit your first answer? How did you overcome/feel after the fact regarding those challenges?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Haha, I guess I was hoping for a bit more detail, but thank you for the reply.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Haha, I guess I was hoping for a bit more detail, but thank you for the reply.
Why don't you tell us about yourself? How old are you? How often are you away from home? What species of bird are you considering?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Oh trust me, I have already been very VERY far down that road on this forum. So much so, that several people started to get annoyed with my questions and just kept telling me to go buy a d*** bird :) These were just some late follow up questions that I had not asked from someone that was in the same position I am in now.

Probably best for me to just point you to my recent posts to give you all that information.

Making decisions | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Average costs | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
New PRO vs CON table | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The journey continues! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Male or Female? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Caique decisions - Vet recommendations | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

and many others.

I basically have everything down. Now its just a matter of continuing to engross myself in the world of parrots, take some classes, and sit on the idea for awhile before I make a final decision.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Oh trust me, I have already been very VERY far down that road on this forum. So much so, that several people started to get annoyed with my questions and just kept telling me to go buy a d*** bird :) These were just some late follow up questions that I had not asked from someone that was in the same position I am in now.

Probably best for me to just point you to my recent posts to give you all that information.

Making decisions | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Average costs | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
New PRO vs CON table | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
The journey continues! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Male or Female? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Caique decisions - Vet recommendations | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

and many others.

I basically have everything down. Now its just a matter of continuing to engross myself in the world of parrots, take some classes, and sit on the idea for awhile before I make a final decision.
You're being very responsible about this. :)
Whenever you feel ready, I think a person who's shown your level of dedication to the research phase will make a great parront.

I would only give the advice that, if this is your first bird, it might be best to get a bird that doesn't have any baggage, in other words, a newly weaned youngster who has been hand raised and is outgoing and likes everybody, or, a parrot that has been treated like a feathered god but needs to be rehomed because, for example, his owners are seniors and are no longer able to care for him. Again, this should be an outgoing bird that likes everybody.

I would also suggest that, if at all possible, you visit the bird a few times before taking him home, so he can get to know you in a non-threatening environment that he's used to.
JM2C :D

And remember, before you get your bird, make sure that:

-You have a powerful extractor hood over your stove that you are able to use everytime you cook

-You can locate the cage somewhere that is not near sources of un-pure air, such as the kitchen

-You're ok with not using spray type perfume, spray type things like hairspray, deodorant, etc

-Throw out your incense and candles

-You're ok with never smoking indoors again

-Everybody in the home is aware of the dangers of open windows and doors, and the bird is never near a window or door while it is open

-No TEFLON pans! Throw them in the garbage! Fluorine is bad for you too, so this is a win for you and your bird

-You're ok with never using stinky cleaning products again.

No windex
No pinesol
ideally, clean with vinegar and baking soda with good ventilation

-If you have a computer that you blow out with canned air, never do it indoors again. Tetra-fluorethane is extremely toxic to birds. Contains fluorine, just like TEFLON.

-You're ok with making sure you don't leave things out that are hazardous to your bird. Say there is a cigarette on the table and the bird is on your shoulder. You wouldn't believe how fast the bird can zoom onto the table and take a bite of that cigarette. If he swallows some the nicotine could poison the bird to death.

-You're willing to go through several shirts a day due to poopage.

-You're ok with getting bird poo on your furniture

Last edited:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
1. What were your top 3 fears/hesitations about bird ownership before you brought your first bird home?

I bought the first bird at 38 , a cockatiel for my son. I did not hesitate at all , he was hand fed and we visited him a couple of times before we brought him home.
Boarding was one of my biggest fear, while it is easy to find a place for the dog and having neighbors look after the guinea pigs it is not easy to find someone for the birds.
Another fear was that I would just feed and clean the bird and not have a relationship but was very surprised how much he wanted to hang out with me.
The life span, who knows how our lives will be in 20 years. Not something we can really plan and all animals I had when I grew up I had until their natural death.

How dusty that bird is. I read about it but was surprised that he would leave a residue on everything. I have a lot of chrome, white furniture. Another surprise was the expense, aluminum cage, perches, toys and then the check up where I left $250 . I was positively surprised about the interaction we got, he mimics and sings and my children really love that.

We put plexi glass down in areas where the bird hangs out most and covered his favorite window ledge with plexi glass too.
Did not have to buy cookware since we always had stainless steel . I do A LOT more cleaning than I had ever thought and the birds are by far our most expensive pets.

I would not have bought a baby bird. I love my bird store and will buy most of the things I need there but will never buy a bird again. My other birds are rescues and they are perfect too.

No real regrets but traveling is an issue.

see first answer

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am looking to hear back from those of you that never owned a bird growing up, no one in your family has ever owned a bird, and no one else really close to you has owned a bird.
This applies to every single parrot owner out there because it doesn't matter what other people had or who you knew. Everybody starts at the beginning. "Everything" changes the day you bring that bird home. No different than bringing a baby home. It is now required that this being who is now entrusted to your care be considered in all things you do. A good portion of your new life must adapt and revolve around them for as long as they live.

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
I'm in the exact same boat at the moment. Endlessly researching and re-asking the same questions over and over to the point where I feel I'm annoying others haha. But its just such a big decision that I want to be as educated going into it as I possibly can. I don't feel theres anything wrong with that. I do feel trapped at times tossing back and forth between different bird species and which will suit my lifestyle best. I honestly feel I won't ever be free of this suffering until I get a bird and live with my choice.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This applies to every single parrot owner out there because it doesn't matter what other people had or who you knew.
Yes I agree with this, however, I was simply thinking of it from the standpoint of the person, not the bird. Allow me to explain. If my parents kept birds when I was younger, I would have already been exposed to the environment. ie living with birds, cleaning up after birds, what to do and what not to do etc. Same as with friends. If I have a very close friend with a bird, chances are I have spent some time with them at their house and as a result, have probably interacted with their bird(s) at one point or another, saw what a dirty cage looked like, learned what it was like to keep a bird from general questions and hearing the good, bad, and ugly from my friend. I on the other hand have absolutely NONE of those experiences and as a result, when this idea became a reality, I had to do research on all sorts of things that are otherwise second nature to some other people with past life experiences. That was the basis for this question.

Also, thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I've always been a reptile and cat kind of lady. I grew up with cats and got my first reptile at around 15 years old. During college I met an IRN with nails too long that couldn't stand me. Idk why I liked her so much. I was never serious about owning until then.

1. What were your top 3 fears/hesitations about bird ownership before you brought your first bird home and importantly, how did you feel after the fact?

Noise, Being able to properly handle my bird (she didn't like me), and Cleaning. More challenging than I thought it was going to be :hehe:

Looking back on it I didn't think it was possible to form such a strong relationship with a bird or how quickly my IRN adapted to learning how to fly (she was already clipped and living off parakeet seed when I got her).

Setting up a routine was a new one for me. It took a WHILE to get used to (longer than I'll admit).

I think I would have changed more of who I was back then compared to now, I used to get stressed very easily. I don't stress the small stuff so much anymore. This didn't help with owning birds as they get frustrated when I am anything that doesn't resemble calm. I've made some mistakes and most of these could have been avoided by not feeling overwhelmed because I was stressed over stuff that didn't really matter in the end.

There's a few things I would have done differently but no one's perfect. Now that I've had experience with birds I would have changed the first few months of our introduction but seeing as the two of us were clueless how to react to each other I think I could've managed a lot worse. At least I didn't give up. I didn't find out I was allergic to cockatiel dust until after I owned one and while I don't regret getting my cockatiel I will never own another one.

These are my experiences, I didn't spend months preparing for a bird and researching a particular species. I'm sure a lot of people on this forum had I joined prior to owning a bird would not have considered me a "good choice" as a bird owner. Either way I made it work and am trying to move on past the mistakes I've already made. My birds have been with me during various phases of my life and I'm hoping they'll live through many more.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Excellent, thank you MandaExotics for your reply!

Is there anyone else out there that can add their experiences? I know this is a pretty specific search. Thanks!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Hey Andrew........I am in a very similar situation as you. I DID make the decision to get two Lovebirds, then researched the hell out of them. I finally just bought a cage and am beginning to collect toys. I did go visit two breeders and finally put down a deposit last Thursday on two babies. They will be ready in a couple three weeks. THEN I'll tell you what a basket case I am. I'm very nervous, worried about all sorts of things. Every time I read an illness or injury story in the forum I cringe. But I am excited too!

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
I look forward to hearing how things go then. Best of luck and congrats on the new fids.

tacotaco

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jeremy
Well I look forward to reading up on your journey as well then. What species are you currently thinking about?
I am leaning towards hand feeding a baby Indian Ringneck. Something just captivates me about them.

I DID make the decision to get two Lovebirds, then researched the hell out of them.
Ugh, I envy you making a final decision. I too have researched lovebirds. But something still pulls me back to the IRN. Maybe it is because its the bird that sort of got me into the idea of bird ownership???

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
For me, I never had a bird growing up, because my mom had her pet canary killed by her cat when she was little (although apparently my aunt's budgie got along great with that same cat). I always wanted a bird, but never was allowed to get one since we always had cats. I also did not know much about pet birds.

Then, when I started thinking about college, I wanted a pet and I realized they allowed pet birds in the dorm. It was finally my chance to have a bird away from the cat. Now that doesn't sound like a good start, but I did a lot of research.

So to answer your questions:
1) My top hesitation was the cat, since I still had to come home for summer and some weekends. One thing that I found back then (18-19 years ago), a lot of bird owners said cats were no issue. People are more careful now, but at that time, forums were full of people saying how their birds and cats were friends, and a respected behaviorist even recommended getting a cat to keep birds company when no one was at home. It was easy to convince my mom that the cat would be no problem, and in fact he never was any trouble at all. Second, I was worried a little about poop. At the time, potty training was not frowned upon like it is now, so I figured I would potty train. I can't really think of a good third concern - noise, perhaps.

2) I did a lot of research. I think what actually surprised me the most when I brought Cheeky my GCC home was that she was not very destructive. I'd read how parrots would chew up wood toys, destroy furniture, ect. She barely nibbled on toys. I also was pleasantly surprised that bird poop is odorless and pretty inoffensive.

3) I can't say I altered my lifestyle greatly since there were a lot of other changes in my life then, as well. I always made sure to spend plenty of time with her. I never used air fresheners or scented candles and it was no big deal to get rid of some old nonstick pans and be more careful of cleaners. In fact, I used to take several asthma medications before I got birds and I haven't had to since then. Things that are bad for birds are bad for us, as well.

4) If I could do it all over, the only things I might change would be very minor. I wish I would've attempted harness training when she was younger, and I wish I had picked a different avian vet for her first checkup (that first vet made her scared of towels for life).
I did my research and did most things right, or at least what was right at that time. I picked a suitable species, found a very small local breeder, visited her while she was being handfed. I got her a nice cage, lots of toys, built a playgym for her (that first playgym attempt is a regret I suppose, I ended up going through several playgym redesigns over the years until I made one that was just right). I had a vet appointment for her before I brought her home. I cooked up batches of mash and birdie bread to have ready for her, too. Basically, considering I got her 18 years ago, when I was 18, I think I did as much right as I could. I even let her fly when her baby clip grew out - even though, in those days, letting a bird be flighted was considered one of the worst, most dangerous things you could do - it's funny how things have changed.

5) No real regrets. She turned out to be a pretty well adjusted bird, and is a very devoted little friend.

Last edited: