• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female?

If I decide to get just one, should I get a Male of Female?

• Male

• Female

Results are only viewable after voting.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
So I am still deciding on one vs two Caiques, but that is not necessarily to topic of this post. If I get two, I am pretty certain I will not be getting MM or MF

MM = Potential aggression between each other.
MF = Mated pair could lead to aggression especially during breeding season.

So, if I get two, I think I have decided on FF, but feel free to comment more on this topic please.

Now, for the main topic and purpose of the poll above. If I decide to get just one, can you guys please vote and also comment on the following:

Why do you suggest one sex over the other?
What did you choose for yourself?
Do you have any regrets?
Can you give some pros and cons for each sex?

Thanks!

PS, Here is the current state of the One vs Two battle: http://host.atomiklan.com/caique/index.html

PSS, My current vote is for 1 male (Oppy... Hoppy Oppy)

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Kate is a female and I already see some possessive territorial behavior in her at age two, I'm working on curbing it before it really starts. Hormonal behavior is a problem in all parrots really, I don't think Caiques are any different. Kate had a brother and a sister, and their brother had to be separated early on because the girls played too rough. He was more shy and reserved than his sisters but that isn't saying much considering our breeder said they were one of wildest bunches he's seen. I actually didn't know Kate's sex when we picked her but the breeder assured me that in the long run this wouldn't matter as much. Besides, at that point I was already in love.

As for your one vs two problem...personally I regret not getting two. By the time I was considering it Kate's brother and sister had already been spoken for. (Only two days after I reserved Kate actually.) From everything I've read and heard Caiques do better in pairs, and they often play too rough for other species to tolerate. My SC (Lily) did not like her from the start as she's rather jealous. My GCC is interested in being friends but I can't allow it as Kate is 165 grams to his 65 grams. My vet flat out told me no, the size difference is too great and Kate plays like a MMA fighter. Whenever the two conures are together on the playstand, Kate makes sad noises and flaps her wings like she wants to fly to them. I've tried with Lily but she just won't stand for it.

It kind of breaks my heart honestly. While I try to provide at least a couple of hours of interaction for her each day, nothing can replace bird on bird social behavior. As it is now, I'm strongly considering adding another caique (a fourth bird) to my household in order to give Kate her best possible life. BUT...My vet warns me that putting a baby with a caique reaching puberty is rather risky and they don't have as good of a chance at getting along as clutch mates do.

No idea why I have to write an essay every time I talk about the fids.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have a gang of caiques. None of them are agressive.

But of the two sexes, its the females who have attitude. Hands down the clear winners

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
But of the two sexes, its the females who have attitude. Hands down the clear winners
Is this just in your experience or in general? If so, sounds like one male might not be such a bad idea after all.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Is this just in your experience or in general? If so, sounds like one male might not be such a bad idea after all.
I try not to speak in generalities. It is not helpful. All birds have different personalities and mood swings. But they DO have some traits in common. Im not in favour of keeping a flock animal in solitary confinement. Unless you intend to spend 24/7 with him.

Which is what all birds expect of their flock

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Im not in favour of keeping a flock animal in solitary confinement. Unless you intend to spend 24/7 with him.
Not sure the context of this? Is that a recommendation against a single bird?

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Any other votes or recommendations out there please?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Not sure the context of this? Is that a recommendation against a single bird?
Yes I am against keeping a single bird

Im guessing that you are not available 24/7/365 to be his flock

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Can I get a bump on this topic please. Would love to get some more feedback on single bird, male vs female. I am currently leaning more towards a single Caique after a few months of research and talking with various vets, but I still would like input on male vs female please. Thank you!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I talked with friends about this topic. I have a single Caique, sex unknown, and a single parrotlet and a single grumpy Pi.

They all felt that if you want it to be your friend, keep it as a single. I asked how much time is "enough " to spend with them. I was told if they seem happy, no neurotic behavior, and go back in the cage when told, the time you are spending is enough.

I'd say between us Rio caique gets a minimum of 3 hours of out-of-cage time, plus we take him in the office and keep him in a cage there for a few hours. The breeder said if we can't play with him, he'll play by himself and so far that's true.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Well, after everything I went through with Amarillo, male seems better because of the egg laying issue. But, I have two very aggressive male Galahs...so then I think female! So, I'm no help there! As to whether or not you should get one or two...I've seen birds do fine as single birds but then they don't ever seem to truly understand they are birds. They are flock animals and when they have someone else to bond with, they tend to be more birdie like, if that makes any sense at all. I don't think taking care of two birds is any harder than taking care of one and I truly believe that if they were hand raised, they will always want human companionship. They're also much more fun to watch in pairs!:)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Well, after everything I went through with Amarillo, male seems better because of the egg laying issue. But, I have two very aggressive male Galahs...so then I think female! So, I'm no help there! As to whether or not you should get one or two...I've seen birds do fine as single birds but then they don't ever seem to truly understand they are birds. They are flock animals and when they have someone else to bond with, they tend to be more birdie like, if that makes any sense at all. I don't think taking care of two birds is any harder than taking care of one and I truly believe that if they were hand raised, they will always want human companionship. They're also much more fun to watch in pairs!:)
I agree with you on this Jen. I think the egg laying potential is really the only thing that you can say in favor of one or the other.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I don't think you will find answer as birds don't act according to the best laid plans.

I got Cricket (male) when he was a baby and he is attached to me - like a child/parent relationship (but not bonded like a mate). He flies to see me and spends time with me. His choice.

Watson (male) joined us at age one. He had shared a cage with an older female green cheek in his old home but they were not bonded. I don't know what his relationship was with his owner but he is definitely shy with me (never aggressive)

Cricket and Watson bonded. They allopreen, feed each other and share a cage. No agression. I can tell Cricket is so much more fufilled with Watson. I could not meet his needs.

I had no idea what sex Cricket was when I got him. I just fell for him and he stepped up for me (after biting everyone else in the store LOL).

Definitely do some research but don't overthink as birds dont care about your plans and aren't going to follow them ;)