• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leaving bird home for vacation. Advice?

tameem

Meeting neighbors
Some context: It's a 5.5 year old cockatiel, been with us for the majority of its life. From what I know it only likes to be outside of the cage and prefers eating and drinking if out of the cage. We only use the cage for vet visits.
On the 21st (figured I'd look for answers in advance), we will be on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Usually my mom stays home, with the benefit of looking after the bird. Now circumstances have changed (nothing bad happened don't worry) and my mom is coming with us this time. Now that's honestly great, but what about my bird?

With this (hopefully enough) information, what should I know before I leave my bird for a while?
If I'm not wrong, the food and water should be changed reasonably often at minimum.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you contemplating leaving your bird home alone for 2-3 weeks?

I have done 1-2 nights before and that's my absolute limit. Their water really needs to be changed often (daily is best) as they can get sick quickly from bacterial infections. Even dry food, too, can spoil rather quickly once moisture is involved. I can't imagine how I would give my birds enough clean food and water to last 2-3 weeks.

I would find a way to board your bird or have someone come check on the bird while you are gone.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I'd check with your vet and see if they offer boarding, or they might know of someone who can pet sit.

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you driving? My son/partner travel with their cockatiel unless they are flying.

I would personally be super nervous about leaving a solo bird alone with someone only checking on them, if it hasn't happened before. If someone is usually home during the day that can be really traumatic to a bird that is meant to be with its flock, even if someone is checking in every day.

Is it possible for someone to stay there if you can't take your bird with you?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Sorry but I personally wouldn't even consider leaving a bird home alone for 2 to 3 weeks, nevermind days. :shocking:
I hope you can find a boarder or someone he can stay with.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I really would not leave a bird alone that long. They need fresh food and water, and especially a solo bird is going to need someone there to keep him company. The most time I'll leave my birds alone is 1-2 nights. Any more than that and I have a friend come over to take care of them.
Do you have a friend or family member that would be willing to check in on him every day and maybe spend some time with him so he's not so alone? Or would it be possible to have someone take him to their house while you're away? Boarding is an option too, of course. I know in my area it's very difficult to find boarding for any animal besides dogs and cats, but it's definitely worth looking around.

tameem

Meeting neighbors
Confusing wording, pardon me!
No, I will not plan the bird being home alone for that long. Little more emphasis on the "I" on "I leave my bird for a while". :laugh:

Answering your suggestions:
I was planning to see if I can have someone over. Was wondering if there's anything extra to plan but looks like I'm all set.
Asking the vet is an option, though I'm not too confident about it. I'll see.
Boarding could be unlikely as it will be in a different environment and I want the bird to be outside of the cage so it can eat (I would like to know more about how boarding works), still might be an option.

Are you driving?
No we're flying, though either way I foresee bringing the bird with me making things harder.

If someone is usually home during the day that can be really traumatic to a bird that is meant to be with its flock, even if someone is checking in every day.
Someone other than me usually home during the day seems to be doing fine for my bird. My bird does not really hang out with my other family members as much.
Bit more context: Even before we owned the bird, my mom since a while ago stays home when we do "big" travels, only comes around for "small" travels (like neighboring countries). Even before the bird, someone usually stays home, mom if big travels, dad if small, very rarely we leave it empty for an extended period of time. It has also been a long a while since the entirety of the house left for an extended period of time.

Nobody suggested this but.... unfortunately, rehoming is also on the table (click link for reasons why, feel free to help me over there). The travels are just an extra reason why tbh. I just think this is giving me more extra unnecessary work.

jessem101

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 parrots. If i am flying i take one of them with me and leave the other at a parrot boarding spot. They need interaction on a daily basis. I have heard of nightmare stories to where someone just pays an individual to changeout their water bowls and feed them daily, but when they get back from a long trip, they pluck their feathers. when my bird is being boarded, the person watching him/her takes them out daily, they are around other birds, and they get interaction. I try to never be away from my birds for an extended period of time.

tameem

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 parrots. If i am flying i take one of them with me and leave the other at a parrot boarding spot. They need interaction on a daily basis. I have heard of nightmare stories to where someone just pays an individual to changeout their water bowls and feed them daily, but when they get back from a long trip, they pluck their feathers. when my bird is being boarded, the person watching him/her takes them out daily, they are around other birds, and they get interaction. I try to never be away from my birds for an extended period of time.
Don't worry, my main plan is to have someone stay in our home for as long as we are away so that the bird isn't lonely. By "changing food and water at minimum" I mean the chore they have to do.

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Some context: It's a 5.5 year old cockatiel, been with us for the majority of its life. From what I know it only likes to be outside of the cage and prefers eating and drinking if out of the cage. We only use the cage for vet visits.
On the 21st (figured I'd look for answers in advance), we will be on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Usually my mom stays home, with the benefit of looking after the bird. Now circumstances have changed (nothing bad happened don't worry) and my mom is coming with us this time. Now that's honestly great, but what about my bird?

With this (hopefully enough) information, what should I know before I leave my bird for a while?
If I'm not wrong, the food and water should be changed reasonably often at minimum.
I was able to find a pet sitter through my local community facebook group. I would never leave mine alone for more than a day because the fresh food and water will go bad.