• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck Nail Cut

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
We recently brought our Indian Ringneck home, and I don't think his nails have ever been clipped. They dug into our skin and cut it up so after lots of research we decided to trim them ourselves since just a consultation at the vet is over $100

I know it will happen to every owner at least once, but I felt horrible when 2 of his nails were cut a little too deep and bled. I coated them in allum powder and the bleeding seems to have stopped but of course I'm nervous he lost too much blood since I don't know how much is too much. My main question is, now he's not putting weight on that foot due to pain, I wanted to know if anyone else had this happen and how long it will take for him to start healing and walking normally?

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
Generally minor sores like that are healed enough that they get ignored in a week or less & mostly healed in two weeks. My IRN's nails a very long too but I don't dare try & trim those as she quite likes grooming them herself.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry this happened. If you cut the quick then it will bleed like crazy. Hopefully he didn't lose too much blood if you stopped the bleeding fast. It should be ok in a couple of days if it was a minor cut. Keep an eye on him and the foot. Next time, just clip the very tips. With dark nails you can't see the quick.

Douglas Dix

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
Should be fine. The trick is to not try to trim them all the way back to where you think they need to be in just one setting. Just take off the tip and stop. Do it again in a week, again the next week, etc. like this till you get to where you want to be length wise. The "quick" recedes slightly as it gets placed nearer the tip with each cut, so each cut is usually safe this way after a week. Patience is the key.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys! He seems to be doing much better already and has no problems climbing the curtains :) I'll be sure to keep a close watch though

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Just take him to the vet next time!

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
I clipped my budgies nails when I was little but it was really not needed.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just take him to the vet next time!
Even if you just took the birds that first time so a vet could show you how to do it correctly yourself in future. The 100 bucks is an investment.