• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas for an Australian native aviary

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I’m not sure if this is the correct place to ask about aviaries, but didnt see a dedicated place for aviaries, so I hope this is ok. I’m currently getting back Into the process of turning my shed into an aviary, I tried to start last year but didn’t end up finishing. After some thought I’ve decided I want to fill it with Australian native birds and plants. I have 2 budgies who are quite friendly and a pair of elegant parrots (currently in the process of having chicks) and was wondering if they’d get along? The shed is 28ft long, 6 1/2 feet high and 10ft wide. So it’s quite big. I was also wondering about putting other birds such as maybe a pair or just one cockatiel, some finches (any finches from Australia) and maybe some bourkes? Also I was wondering about other neophema parrots. I know that they’ll hybridise with eachother but if I bought them in already bonded pairs would this stop that? I also want to put my flightless lorikeet in there, not at night only during the day. She can’t fly so I wanted to just get her a bottlebrush bush and let her have fun in there. She’s very friendly and has lived with both budgies and cockatiels without a problem. Any advice or bird suggestions would be awesome.

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Theres no guarantee that two birds will get along, slowly introduce them to each other probably two at at a time, some birds tend to be more aggressive in pairs. Can’t help with the hybridisation question, sorry.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would dedicate the aviary to budgies only, but I'm a bit biased. :xflove: