• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:bliss::excited1::loveshower::yahoo::batnana::chickendance:
Looking like a lil butterball now!
:party::woot2::starshower::starshower1::bounce7:
Wow, she's grown.

:omg::faint::wow:

Was waiting for today's update & what a great one it is!
Way to go Phoenix & Britney

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
She's so big!!! Yay!!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
90037832-A009-4718-ADED-57C61BB631BB.png
D4F00B55-9508-481A-ABD4-FC4CBB702788.jpeg
Phoenix gets this little red vein showing up in her crop, it’s not always visible but I can see it sometimes while she’s swallowing. I drew in the second picture where I see it, but I also see it up her neck on her right side too(only while she’s swallowing sometimes). I’m just a little worried because I just learned that veins in the crop can be a sign of a yeast infection.
Is it okay? I’d call the vet but they’re closed right now, she’s not showing any other symptoms or anything. I haven’t been giving her any apple sauce because I’m a little scared to, but if you think it’s necessary then I will

(This was right before a feeding by the way)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She looks like she's doubled her size.. As far as the vein showing, it's more visible on young chicks before their feathering comes in and when there are any air bubbles in the crop but her crop looks like there is only formula present. As she grows older her skin will get a little thicker and a little darker making the vein less visible. She's active, eating well, no digestive issues are apparent, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She looks like she's doubled her size.. As far as the vein showing, it's more visible on young chicks before their feathering comes in and when there are any air bubbles in the crop but her crop looks like there is only formula present. As she grows older her skin will get a little thicker and a little darker making the vein less visible. She's active, eating well, no digestive issues are apparent, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thank you! I just have a constant fear that something will go wrong with her. I’m scared to take her to the vet or give her any treatment because she’s so stunted/underweight that any side effects could be deadly :(

I actually noticed some pokey feathers coming through on her crop this last feeding! She’s gonna be a total pin cushion by tomorrow :rofl:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you! I just have a constant fear that something will go wrong with her. I’m scared to take her to the vet or give her any treatment because she’s so stunted/underweight that any side effects could be deadly :(

I actually noticed some pokey feathers coming through on her crop this last feeding! She’s gonna be a total pin cushion by tomorrow :rofl:
You have your scale so you should weigh her daily and keep track of her weight, date it and with the time you weigh. You can always call the vet with a report on her activity, how much you feed her and her weight. Without scrolling back through the thread I think it's been a week? I'd think the vet would like to hear how she's doing and if he thinks she needs a follow up then I would do that if it was recommended. As long as she's doing well I'm sure they wouldn't want you to bring her in. You can always ask at the same time if they allow you to send up date photos. She's on the right track and growing each day. It's delightful to see her progress! You go girl!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You have your scale so you should weigh her daily and keep track of her weight, date it and with the time you weigh. You can always call the vet with a report on her activity, how much you feed her and her weight. Without scrolling back through the thread I think it's been a week? I'd think the vet would like to hear how she's doing and if he thinks she needs a follow up then I would do that if it was recommended. As long as she's doing well I'm sure they wouldn't want you to bring her in. You can always ask at the same time if they allow you to send up date photos. She's on the right track and growing each day. It's delightful to see her progress! You go girl!
Thanks! I do record her weight and how much she eats every feeding... I actually called the vet just a couple days ago because I was having a bit of a scare with her crop, the vet was surprised how fast she is turning around :D always a good feeling when you make the vet pleasantly surprised :roflmao:
Edit: the vet said she was fine lol thought I should add that in there... I just wasn’t sure if I should be feeding her as much as I was :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks! I do record her weight and how much she eats every feeding... I actually called the vet just a couple days ago because I was having a bit of a scare with her crop, the vet was surprised how fast she is turning around :D always a good feeling when you make the vet pleasantly surprised :roflmao:
Edit: the vet said she was fine lol thought I should add that in there... I just wasn’t sure if I should be feeding her as much as I was :)
I'm glad you called him when you felt frightened about her. I'm sure he was delighted to hear she is doing so well. We're all giving you a giant pat on the back for taking such good care of the tiny tater tot!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She´s looking so good! A lot less scrawny, much more weighted for her size.
Fantastic update!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
FA0210C8-C4AC-40C4-9D6D-E948E38B2B2E.jpeg
Welp, just when I thought we were doing really good, I noticed her crop looks a bit over stretched this morning :/ I fed her only a little bit and I’ll be calling the vet as soon as they open. I’m hoping it’ll be a quick and painless fix. Poor Phoenix :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there still food in there? Or is that empty?

BirdWorld

Hope she turns out okay. She's been getting so big! :yahoo: Although, she may be a boy... I can't wait to see what her colors look like once she begins growing in feathers! :swoon:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Give it a few mins to let her absorb the rest of the food and take another look. Hard to see in the pic but it doesn´t look too bad.
The problem with overstretched crop is when there´s sour crop.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Give it a few mins to let her absorb the rest of the food and take another look. Hard to see in the pic but it doesn´t look too bad.
The problem with overstretched crop is when there´s sour crop.

Yeah, I just called the vet and they said not to worry about it unless it starts getting worse or if she starts having any behavioral changes

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Look at the link I just posted, and read the parts about sour crop/overstreched crop so you know what to look out for.

It´s nice you have a vet that you can contact pretty often. It will be handy for when your bird´s older and you need a vet :)

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Look at the link I just posted, and read the parts about sour crop/overstreched crop so you know what to look out for.

It´s nice you have a vet that you can contact pretty often. It will be handy for when your bird´s older and you need a vet :)
Thank you so much! It’s just as nice to have you and everyone else on the forum by my side, she wouldn’t have made it this far without all of you :heart: