• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
She’s getting little spikes all down her back :roflmao: I don’t know if I can get any pictures/videos of her anymore without having someone else take them, she’s moving A LOT, I don’t want any accidents to happen. Her eyes are almost completely opened and I can see her pin feathers coming through, though! She also gained over a gram today, weighing 5.46g in total. She’s a bit behind still, but other than that I think she’s good

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Happy that Phoenix’s safety is paramount...but, really hoping you two get someone to capture feeding and weighing (and walking, and snuggling, and, and...) pics!
Eyes open and pins coming in must be cuteness overload :loveshower: :pinklol3::loveshower:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great to hear there is some good progress :)

It´s easy to slack, but you gotta keep on top of everything (temps etc), I would treat her at critical at least until those feathers are in and preened.
Keep going steady, she might take an extra week or two to catch up after being a little behind, but she will get there :)

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay! Go Phoenix!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome news.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
89EECCE4-0D87-432F-BB6E-FE869A452743.jpeg
here’s a quick photo I was able to get of her after a feeding! Her eyes are usually more open but she was sleepy :heart:
It’s also hard to tell on the camera but you can see all her little pokey feathers coming in on her back.
She’s getting very vocal, and also very mobile. This morning when I opened the brooder she walked right over to the edge of the nest and was standing on her tip toes trying to get out! She’s the cutest little thing

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
photo I was able to get of her after a feeding! Her eyes are usually more open but she was sleepy
That´s because you did it after a feed. My young ones would conk out flat after food :lol:

She´s looking great! NGL I was expecting a few more feathers, but that´s ok, they will come in time :)

It is very interesting how you talk about her, she looks like a very very young chick (younger than she is), but it seems she acts her own age (being strong enough to lift her head, being vocal, having more personality etc). It reminds me so much of Adelie, she was like that, looked like she was 2 weeks younger than she was but she acted like a bird of her age, so it was strange to see her so little and able to do things that the others couldn´t when they looked like that because they were younger. I hope that makes sense. I actually got to enjoy the fluffy fuzzy stage for an extra couple of weeks, which was super enjoyable I won´t lie :D
It will be very interesting to see her grow, and watch how she develops.

Keep going how you are now, you´re doing great! :bliss:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
That´s because you did it after a feed. My young ones would conk out flat after food :lol:

She´s looking great! NGL I was expecting a few more feathers, but that´s ok, they will come in time :)

It is very interesting how you talk about her, she looks like a very very young chick (younger than she is), but it seems she acts her own age (being strong enough to lift her head, being vocal, having more personality etc). It reminds me so much of Adelie, she was like that, looked like she was 2 weeks younger than she was but she acted like a bird of her age, so it was strange to see her so little and able to do things that the others couldn´t when they looked like that because they were younger. I hope that makes sense. I actually got to enjoy the fluffy fuzzy stage for an extra couple of weeks, which was super enjoyable I won´t lie :D
It will be very interesting to see her grow, and watch how she develops.

Keep going how you are now, you´re doing great! :bliss:
Thanks so much! She doesn’t seem mentally or physically behind at all, she’s only smaller than she’s supposed to be. It’s so nice to hear that you had a chick with stunted growth and she turned out fine, that gives me hope for Phoenix.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Catching up on this thread - you're doing a stellar job! Phoenix already sounds like they have tons of personality.