• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Vet said to increase the concentration of her formula again
Kaytee says you can do 1 part formula to 2-3 water. Before you were doing 3 water, so you can drop it to 2 and follow instructions of both the vet and the manufacturer.
Lessening the water will mean the baby ingests more powder,ergo more nutrition.

The baby should be eating 10% of her body weight every feed.

Try not to worry so much about her being underweight. It's good to be aware of it so you can make changes to rectify it.

Don't worry too much about it right now; you can't fix a bruise, anyway. So glad you had a good (mostly) outcome at the vet!
Exactly

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Phew, its a relief knowing her crop is in good health & everything was going well except for the ratio which I think you did good by erring on thin side so it could get digested faster . Better to be a little underweight than have a slow crop.

:faint::bliss:

Last edited:

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thats about 3 more feedings til 12A

You were feeding often & even thru the night. If she is underweight it must be from the ratio not lack of feeding?
I think I wasn’t filling her crop enough either. I was looking at pictures of how full baby budgies crop looks when they’re being fed by their parents and her crop was only ever half the size of there’s. I filled her crop up a bit more this time, I think this feeding was really good

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Don't worry too much about it right now; you can't fix a bruise, anyway. So glad you had a good (mostly) outcome at the vet!
Kaytee says you can do 1 part formula to 2-3 water. Before you were doing 3 water, so you can drop it to 2 and follow instructions of both the vet and the manufacturer.
Lessening the water will mean the baby ingests more powder,ergo more nutrition.

The baby should be eating 10% of her body weight every feed.

Try not to worry so much about her being underweight. It's good to be aware of it so you can make changes to rectify it.

Exactly
Phew, its a relief knowing her crop is in good health & everything was going well except for the ratio which I think you did good by erring on thin side so it could get digested faster . Better to be a little underweight than have a slow crop.

:faint::bliss:
Thank you guys :( I hope she makes it

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think I wasn’t filling her crop enough either. I was looking at pictures of how full baby budgies crop looks when they’re being fed by their parents and her crop was only ever half the size of there’s. I filled her crop up a bit more this time, I think this feeding was really good
I think it's **really** difficult to determine how much to fill a crop! Especially when they're this little. You're doing great!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If you are unsure of how much to feed. Measure it. You should be able to do that with your small syringe.
How much does the chick weigh?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I noticed that but you are not a momma bird. You had to make sure that crop emptied. Stuffing it too much can over extend it & you wanted it to empty faster. Momma birds don't think they just feed seeds or grass in there. You made a sound educated decision in my opinion so that you had the least chance of problems.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
If you are unsure of how much to feed. Measure it. You should be able to do that with your small syringe.
How much does the chick weigh?
A little less than 3grams. My syringes before didn’t have measurements on it but the vet gave me some that did. She’s always used a 1cc and was only eating about 1/4 of it, but tonight I had her eat a full 1cc

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Did you get the scale yet? Zara can help you determine how much food a chick should have according to its weight.

Vet said 3 grams so...?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
This site has info similar to your vet. I posted it already but did not want to use it as gospel truth but it seems to have validity

Feed every 2 hours from 6AM to 12AM

Gives amounts to feed in ml for budgies so not sure how to concert to cc
Seems 1 milliliter equals 1 cubic centimeter

Says 1cc for day old chick gradually increased to 2 cc by 4th day??????
Seems chick would need least 1cc esp by day 3 or 4. Anyway you have to adjust it to your guy as these are just recomendations.

New born budgies are born pink, featherless, blind and totally helpless. The baby budgies’ peeps are a lot louder by day 5 and their movements increase. Even though their eyes are still closed, they can hold their head up by day 7. Fluffy down begins to cover the chicks in the first week of their lives.

Ideally, feeding should start at 6 a.m. and continue until midnight. The baby should be fed every 2 hours. A day old chick would require approx 1 ml of formula per feed, which can be gradually increased to 2 ml by the 4th day and 3 ml by 7th day. It is unnecessary to give the baby any additional water as they receive sufficient fluids in their feed itself. It is also unnecessary to feed the baby at night as in nature, parent birds as well as their babies sleep at night.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think that, altho the information is probably accurate - it's important to go on a case by case basis. She can't suddenly jump up in the amount without risking harm to the crop.

I am not sure what type of birds you've handfed, @camelotshadow . Mine are finches and therefore when you overfeed you REALLY overfeed, even if it was a drop too much! Also, the thing about not feeding at night. Just know your species. Mine stop feeding during the night on Day 8. Like clockwork.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So the photo is the crop with 1cc of food?

Seems she should be eating more than 1cc but those stats are just an average

I guess measure it & let her eat as much as she wants. When she stops then stop.
Chick has to have some say & the feed dose is just an estimated average.

Each chick & each situation needs to be adjusted according to there weight & growth development.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I think that, altho the information is probably accurate - it's important to go on a case by case basis. She can't suddenly jump up in the amount without risking harm to the crop.

I am not sure what type of birds you've handfed, @camelotshadow . Mine are finches and therefore when you overfeed you REALLY overfeed, even if it was a drop too much! Also, the thing about not feeding at night. Just know your species. Mine stop feeding during the night on Day 8. Like clockwork.
Totally agree that is an average & each bird & situation varies.

I added a comment to let the bird decide how much it wants to eat. If its happy then thats enough. That site was for budgies & I never actually handfed (just watched).
The info is good for a relative comparison but has to be adjusted for each bird & situation.

This birds crop has not been over extended so its best to feed more gradually & not just look at the amounts which are given as an average guideline.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This birds crop has not been over extended so its best to feed more gradually & not just look at the amounts which are given as an average guideline.
I agree. And that was a great resource that you found.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Thank you guys. I’ll gradually work her back up to 2cc. She’s never actually stopped me from feeding before, she always wants more, but her crop looks so full, even tonight I think it looks really full

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I agree. And that was a great resource that you found.
Hard to find good info to raise chicks from day 1 not to mention just how hard it is in general.

I watched handfeeding from 4 weeks to wean. Cockatiels, Ring Neck, GCC & Eclectus.
You get a feel but nothing like doing it yourself & getting all the variables right.
Does not help much for a day old chick.

Thank you guys. I’ll gradually work her back up to 2cc. She’s never actually stopped me from feeding before, she always wants more, but her crop looks so full, even tonight I think it looks really full
You didn't know & I think under the circumstances you made the safest choice!