• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I need some advice on a neglected baby budgie I received

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It took a few minutes to catch up on this thread. I hope all will be well with the baby and that you'll be able to figure out why her crop was filling with air. I think you've caught it early by taking her in to see the vet in the event she had a little bacteria growing in her crop. How are you sterlizing all of the feeding equipment you use for her?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Have you guys got home ok?
Would love to hear you got the little one home and settled back into the brooder. This vet visit is a lot for such a little bird.
I actually took the whole brooder with us, and gave the vets the heat pad and everything else I use. She’s still currently at the vet, but the vet had a very busy schedule today filled with surgeries so I’m lucky he still found time to squeeze her in.
Good they are checking this way you will feel more secure that what you are doing is working.

Ask them some questions to verify what you are doing. Formula, feeding intervals, letting crop empty once per day, how to lessen air bubbles etc. You might as well get there opinion on how you are doing.

Hoping all is well & they are home safe soon.
I’ll be sure to ask when I go to pick her up!!

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
It took a few minutes to catch up on this thread. I hope all will be well with the baby and that you'll be able to figure out why her crop was filling with air. I think you've caught it early by taking her in to see the vet in the event she had a little bacteria growing in her crop. How are you sterlizing all of the feeding equipment you use for her?
I use hydrogen peroxide after cleaning the equipment with dawn dish soap and hot water

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
:think1: Can't wait for you to get her home safe. Don't even trust a vet with taking care of such a small chick.

Waiting for good news.
:nervous:
I’m waiting outside to pick her up now! I missed her so much, I swear I kept hearing her chirping in my head :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Don't even trust a vet with taking care of such a small chick
That's not a helpful comment right now considering the chick is in the vets care.
Let's just stick to keeping the chick in our thoughts and hoping and praying all turns out well here.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m waiting outside to pick her up now! I missed her so much, I swear I kept hearing her chirping in my head :D
We'll be waiting for a full report! You might also ask them if they have any sterilizing solutions for your feeding equipment while you're there.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
:think1: Can't wait for you to get her home safe. Don't even trust a vet with taking care of such a small chick.

Waiting for good news.
:nervous:
Glad that someone else said it...I’ve been checking this thread obsessively, but didn’t want to pester @Britnicorn when she likely doesn’t have additional information for us yet. Admittedly, yeah, I’ve been wondering when the baby is coming home, too

If it’s an overnight stay with the vet, @Britnicorn try to get the most out of some uninterrupted hours of sleep. Recharge yourself for the next round of being mama bird and NICU doc to that little cutie...take care of yourself so you can take the best care of her:hug8:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Glad that someone else said it...I’ve been checking this thread obsessively, but didn’t want to pester @Britnicorn when she likely doesn’t have additional information for us yet. Admittedly, yeah, I’ve been wondering when the baby is coming home, too

If it’s an overnight stay with the vet, @Britnicorn try to get the most out of some uninterrupted hours of sleep. Recharge yourself for the next round of being mama bird and NICU doc to that little cutie...take care of yourself so you can take the best care of her:hug8:
It’s not an overnight stay don’t worry. I don’t think it had gotten that serious yet. They were just super busy today and I think they forgot to tell me I could get pick her up because when I called them to check in they said I could get her lol

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
That's not a helpful comment right now considering the chick is in the vets care.
Let's just stick to keeping the chick in our thoughts and hoping and praying all turns out well here.
Sorry, I sort of ignored that part, I “liked” the “can’t wait for you to get her home safe” and “waiting for good news” part

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Sorry, I sort of ignored that part, I “liked” the “can’t wait for you to get her home safe” and “waiting for good news” part
It’s okay, I didn’t see anything wrong with what they said haha I won’t ever trust anyone with my baby except for me

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Alright so I got some good news and some bad news.
Good news is, only good flora is in her crop and she is super active
Bad news is, she’s a little over a gram underweight :( I feel so bad :(
Vet said to increase the concentration of her formula again, feed her every two hours no matter how empty her crop is, and don’t feed her between 12am-6am

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Alright so I got some good news and some bad news.
Good news is, only good flora is in her crop and she is super active
Bad news is, she’s a little over a gram underweight :( I feel so bad :(
Vet said to increase the concentration of her formula again, feed her every two hours no matter how empty her crop is, and don’t feed her between 12am-6am
Did they mean feed her every 2 hours no matter how full or how empty of crop is???
Empty does not seem to make sense as you want it to empty. No feeding from 12 to 6 am would allow the crop to empty, you could sleep & I did read parents don't feed at night but they know how to feed so you were just trying to make sure they ate enough hence feeding round the clock.

Would think if they had to give her liquids they must just add them to her crop not by shot?

Guess you can get 6 hours sleep!:bliss::goodnight2:

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Did they mean feed her every 2 hours no matter how full or how empty of crop is???
Empty does not seem to make sense as you want it to empty. No feeding from 12 to 6 am would allow the crop to empty, you could sleep & I did read parents don't feed at night but they know how to feed so you were just trying to make sure they ate enough hence feeding round the clock.

Would think if they had to give her liquids they must just add them to her crop not by shot?

Guess you can get 6 hours sleep!:bliss::goodnight2:
I’m not sure. Should I call and ask? I think they’re closed already :(

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 371178
I just finished feeding her, and noticed what looks like a bruise up by her hip?? The dr said he had to give her fluids, do you guys think it’s from the shot?
Whats in her crop? Did they feed her today? If they gave her fluids they might add to crop not by shot. Does look like a bruise. Do you

think they had her on a iv? Can they do that on a chick so small?

I’m not sure. Should I call and ask? I think they’re closed already
They basically said feed every 2 hours. They should have made it clearer but I think they meant don't worry about how empty it is. I suppose they could have also said feed every 2 hours no matter how full the crop is. We all tend to worry about that. As long as they said Feed every 2 hours & did not add an except I'd feed every 2 hours.

I think we are all very worried about the crop not emptying & feeding when it has food in it. Every 2 hour feeding will mean a crop will have food in it if the formula ratio is increased.

You were doing good. The crop was fine. normal bacteria so feed every 2 hours stop bet 12 & 6AM

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Whats in her crop? Did they feed her today? If they gave her fluids they might add to crop not by shot. Does look like a bruise. Do you

They basically said feed every 2 hours. They should have made it clearer but I think they meant don't worry about how empty it is. I suppose they could have also said feed every 2 hours no matter how full the crop is. We all tend to worry about that. As long as they said Feed every 2 hours & did not add an except I'd feed every 2 hours.

I think we are all very worried about the crop not emptying & feeding when it has food in it. Every 2 hour feeding will mean a crop will have food in it if the formula ratio is increased.

You were doing good. The crop was fine. normal bacteria so feed every 2 hours stop bet 12 & 6AM
No I know to feed every two hours I meant should I call and ask if they gave her a shot or not :roflmao: I’m hoping they did. It’d make sense, I read that if they’re dehydrated they administer liquids as quickly as possible and that would be by shot

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney

Oh and yes they fed her today, I just fed her also. We thickened her formula so she’d gain weight faster

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats about 3 more feedings til 12A

You were feeding often more so than every 2 hours & even thru the night. If she is underweight it must be from the ratio not lack of feeding?

Last edited: