• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to take care of birds in summer??

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, In this summer season, the birds room become hot. I give them bath at morning and use exhaust fan but the room keep going hot. Can I need to use any other fan or anything which keep their room cool?? Please help me, Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What temp does the room get to?
Do you have external blinds?

We have hot summers here on the Med. Last year we got to 44 - 45 C.
But in the house is not as hot as outside, usually.
We have all windows and doors open UNLESS there is a hot breeze, then we close all the windows and drop all of the blinds making sure the holes close.
We use a few fans pointed towards to patio doors to push the hot air outside.

We have a portable AC unit, we use it during flight times in the summer, I drop the blind and leave the holes open, and keep the doors wide open. I turn on the AC so the room temp drops (it is not as good as a mouted AC so it helps lower temp, but the room never gets cool).
The birds don´t get to be out most of the day like in the winter. I put them back for sessions before getting them out again so I can lift the blinds - especially if there is a breeze.
Each day is different.

I keep cool baths available inside the cages, and change water often to keep it cool (not ice cold).

Edit;
So in September I had my doors like this, open as fully as possible but blinds are down you can see the holes are open because it's hot but not hot wind:
Screenshot_20190313_210537_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

And one month later in October the weather had cooled down so I used the blind to block sun and the door is closed:
Screenshot_20190313_210442_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

When the wind is hot (like when you open hot oven) I close shutter completely so no hot air can enter.

Last edited:

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
What temp does the room get to?
Do you have external blinds?

We have hot summers here on the Med. Last year we got to 44 - 45 C.
But in the house is not as hot as outside, usually.
We have all windows and doors open UNLESS there is a hot breeze, then we close all the windows and drop all of the blinds making sure the holes close.
We use a few fans pointed towards to patio doors to push the hot air outside.

We have a portable AC unit, we use it during flight times in the summer, I drop the blind and leave the holes open, and keep the doors wide open. I turn on the AC so the room temp drops (it is not as good as a mouted AC so it helps lower temp, but the room never gets cool).
The birds don´t get to be out most of the day like in the winter. I put them back for sessions before getting them out again so I can lift the blinds - especially if there is a breeze.
Each day is different.

I keep cool baths available inside the cages, and change water often to keep it cool (not ice cold).

Edit;
So in September I had my doors like this, open as fully as possible but blinds are down you can see the holes are open because it's hot but not hot wind:
View attachment 298616

And one month later in October the weather had cooled down so I used the blind to block sun and the door is closed:
View attachment 298615

When the wind is hot (like when you open hot oven) I close shutter completely so no hot air can enter.
In this time, the room temperature is 32-33 C and don't have any ventilator in room. There was a problem with window so I can't open it at night time. I will shipped them to other room 2 days later But how can I keep them from hot these 2 days??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
33 at highest point of the day? It is cooler at night?
Temp should be 20-25 for the birds to be comfy, birds can tolerate up to 32 degrees but it is not comfortable for them. Like when we sit outside in strong heat.

Can you move the cages to another room?
Buy a fan, or borrow one from someone.. But don't point the fan at the birds, they should not sit in a draught.

It is 9:30pm for me now, and 22 degrees outside, I have doors wide open as my house is warmer but there is no wind tonight.
IMG_20190313_211744.jpg
Before bed I drop the shutter and leave holes open so no wild birds come inside.

Last edited:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Tropical birds like it hot. I keep Farlie's room between 80 F. and 82 F. It's nice and toasty in there.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Tropical birds like it hot. I keep Farlie's room between 80 F. and 82 F. It's nice and toasty in there.
The problem is 33C is over 91F

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Temp should be 20-25 for the birds to be comfy, birds can tolerate up to 32 degrees but it is not comfortable for them. Like when we sit outside in strong heat.

Buy a fan, or borrow one from someone.. But don't point the fan at the birds, they should not sit in a draught.

It is 9:30pm for me now, and 22 degrees outside, I have doors wide open as my house is warmer but there is no wind tonight.
View attachment 298617
Before bed I drop the shutter and leave holes open so no wild birds come inside.
ya after 2 day i shift another room.but 2 day how i cool them?i heard fan harm ful for bird?

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
The temperature here at the moment is 37C. It is expected to rise to 40s and even 50s in coming months. :jawdrop1:

Around 12 - 1pm, I close all doors to keep hot winds from coming in. Since summer started, both birds have been a bit sleepy during the days. Ahmed goes in his cage for naps and Mithu likes napping behind a curtain at the far end of the room. I switch on the fans on low to keep the hall cool. When they’re awake, I take them with me to where ever I think is the coolest room.

This is my first summer with the birds and it’s only going to get hotter! :depressed: I wonder how I’ll manage in May....

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
ya after 2 day i shift another room.but 2 day how i cool them?i heard fan harm ful for bird?
I think you can use table fans to keep them cool? Don’t point them directly on your birds. Close the curtains if it’s too hot outside. Fresh cool water should be available at all times.

If it truly is very hot, you could take your birds to another room? If they are tame, then it should be easy. :) You could shift their stuff later but maybe get them out first? It would help you immensely.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad

View attachment 298617
Can you please suggest me how can I set the fan in their room for don't face any problem??

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you please suggest me how can I set the fan in their room for don't face any problem??
Put the fan in the room, just don´t point it at the birds.

Also a dish of water is a must (and for you @pawfectly ) change it regularly so it stays cool so your birds can bathe. It is one of the best ways for them to regulate their own body temp.
A shallow dish, don´t fill it too high or the birds can fall in and drown.

even 50s in coming months. :jawdrop1:

Around 12 - 1pm, I close all doors to keep hot winds from coming in
Wowzer! That´s hot!!
Yea, we close the doors too when the winds are hot. Our temps only reach mid 40s.
I wish you well for the height of summer! I know it can be a worry when it is getting hot. Put a thermometer on the wall behind the birds cage.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Google "Redneck air conditioner" and you'll find lots of cheap ways to cool the air.

Or just buy a portable air conditioner.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Put the fan in the room, just don´t point it at the birds.

Also a dish of water is a must (and for you @pawfectly ) change it regularly so it stays cool so your birds can bathe. It is one of the best ways for them to regulate their own body temp.
A shallow dish, don´t fill it too high or the birds can fall in and drown.

Wowzer! That´s hot!!
Yea, we close the doors too when the winds are hot. Our temps only reach mid 40s.
I wish you well for the height of summer! I know it can be a worry when it is getting hot. Put a thermometer on the wall behind the birds cage.
Don't point the fan at the birds?? Can you please explain it to me???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Keep a table fan in the room and switch it on, but don’t point the fan directly in the direction of the birds.
Which direction I should point the table fan?? If I didn't point the fan directly to the birds then they will don't get wind??? I am confused..

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
You want to bring the ambiant air temperature down not cause a draft.

Circulating the ir around the room and cooling that air will bring the air temp down

Use a fan and place a wet cloth on it, the water will cool teh air.

Provide plenty of cool fresh water for your birds and offer mistings with luke warm water.